Woody Allen Films

ajzepp

You know which Woody Allen film sounds funny to me (just based on reading Netflix descriptions)? 'Take the Money and Run'....

"Music-loving nebbish Virgil Starkwell (Woody Allen) launches his criminal career at a young age, but undismayed by his failure to successfully pull off a single bank heist, he carries on his endless string of botched stickups and jailbreaks even after he weds and starts a family."

I'll see Manhattan or Annie Hall first, but what do you guys think of this one? Anyone seen it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know which Woody Allen film sounds funny to me (just based on reading Netflix descriptions)? 'Take the Money and Run'....

"Music-loving nebbish Virgil Starkwell (Woody Allen) launches his criminal career at a young age, but undismayed by his failure to successfully pull off a single bank heist, he carries on his endless string of botched stickups and jailbreaks even after he weds and starts a family."

I'll see Manhattan or Annie Hall first, but what do you guys think of this one? Anyone seen it?

849537[/snapback]

It's my favorite of the early goofball movies. Really hilarious. If you like Woody as an actor (doing his neurotic goofy stuff), then you will like this one.

It's my favorite of the early goofball movies.  Really hilarious.  If you like Woody as an actor (doing his neurotic goofy stuff), then you will like this one.

849546[/snapback]

well, I did enjoy Woody's performance in this last one I just saw, "Scoop". I don't think the critics loved it, but it had it's moments. I know I mentioned it above, but the last scene had me rolling....a fair bit of the dialogue was pretty witty, too, and he was convincing in the role he played. So if that's any indication, then I'd probably enjoy him as an actor in his other films.

I love all forms of comedy when they're done *right*, you know? A lot of times comics will rely on profanity way too heavily, or be over the top in their expressions and gestures, stuff like that. I know Seinfeld gets up on a soapbox about that sort of thing too, and I agree with him. It just cheapens the performance when they take the easy way out.

I just looked him up on Netflix, and it seems I have "La Dolce Vida" in my queue already....any comment on that one? They have Amarcord and Intervista, too, so I'll start with Amarcord :doh:

849522[/snapback]

La Dolce Vita (The Sweet Life) is considered a classic. It is tough to get into and it is quite long. I wouldn't make it my first Fellini. Gringo is right about 8 1/2 and LaStrada they are fine films...among Fellini's best. (Start with Amarcord and, if you like it, one of these would be a fine follow-up.)

As for Take the Money and Run, it is quite funny. IMO, it is one of his "lesser" early films...but still very watchable.

It has already been mentioned, so I'll just add how much fun What's Up Tiger Lilly is. It is totally bizarre. Woody took an Asian spy flick and dubbed in his own script. You'll never think of chicken salad quite the same after seeing this flick.

La Dolce Vita (The Sweet Life) is considered a classic.  It is tough to get into and it is quite long.  I wouldn't make it my first Fellini.  Gringo is right about 8 1/2 and LaStrada they are fine films...among Fellini's best.  (Start with Amarcord and, if you like it, one of these would be a fine follow-up.)

849954[/snapback]

Perhaps his 1953 b&W - "I Vitelloni"...

Perhaps his 1953 b&W - "I, Vitelloni"...

849995[/snapback]

Cincy, this is one i have NOT seen! Interesting.

BTW, it's nice to see your avatar is celebrating the Nancy Pelosi reign with the rest of the country! :D

NEW SMILES??? :lol:

He'll be 71 on Friday. I like 75% of his work, and nothing of his personal life.

I watched Scoop the other night. It was innovative for him. I'm glad he's taken those chances with the movies he's done. He's been able to do those types of things throughout his career.

He'll be 71 on Friday. I like 75% of his work, and nothing of his personal life.

I watched Scoop the other night. It was innovative for him. I'm glad he's taken those chances with the movies he's done. He's been able to do those types of things throughout his career.

850242[/snapback]

Were you not dying at the very last scene?? I am a firm believer that the key to great comedy is the delivery....and his delivery in that brief and final scene was spot-on! It took what was a good-but-not-great film and turned it into one that I found very enjoyable since it was worth the ride to get to that point.

I'm really glad that you guys are so well-versed on his stuff....as well as the Fellini stuff, too. I've been in need of some good comedies lately, so I'll probably tap into some of woody's goofier films first, then touch upon the more dramatic.

I'm excited :D

The early films are hilarious, classic stuff...especially the ones with lots of sight gags. But I think everything after Annie Hall is very much hit-or-miss, mostly miss.

I would unequivocally recommend:

Bananas

Sleeper

Take The Money And Run

Play It Again, Sam

What's Up, Tiger Lily?

849270[/snapback]

Right on. He lost me when he swerved for Mia's baby. :D

Were you not dying at the very last scene?? I am a firm believer that the key to great comedy is the delivery....and his delivery in that brief and final scene was spot-on! It took what was a good-but-not-great film and turned it into one that I found very enjoyable since it was worth the ride to get to that point.

I'm really glad that you guys are so well-versed on his stuff....as well as the Fellini stuff, too. I've been in need of some good comedies lately, so I'll probably tap into some of woody's goofier films first, then touch upon the more dramatic.

I'm excited :lol:

850254[/snapback]

Like many have said in early posts, his earlier stuff was cutting edge comedy. he then when through that " Whining " period, where every movie was a whinny New Yorker complaining about anything.

I think Match Point was also a great movie, as you said. Getting away with it surprised me a little.

BTW, Scarlett Johanson, yumm! I'd like to :D her! :lol:

Like many have said in early posts, his earlier stuff was cutting edge comedy. he then when through that " Whining " period, where every movie was a whinny New Yorker complaining about anything.

I think Match Point was also a great movie, as you said. Getting away with it surprised me a little.

BTW, Scarlett Johanson, yumm! I'd like to  :D  her! :lol:

850262[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I'm glad he's latched on to Scarlett....she's so yummy it's crazy! :lol:

I'd be careful with the Fellini films, they're not very accessible... to me, he's overrated. If you want to check out some foreign films, there are many, many, great directors but right now Kieslowski is my favorite. I just got the Criterion Double Life Of Veronique, just a spectacular set... but start with the Three Colors instead, and watch them in order (Blue, then White, then Red).

Also, being an action film fan, you owe it to yourself to check out some Kurosawa. The Seven Samurai is one of the greatest films ever made (Hollywood turned it into the Magnificent Seven), but The Hidden Fortress (Lucas' inspiration for Star Wars) is my favorite. Wait for Yojimbo (Leone turned it into Fistful of Dollars) cause Criterion is issuing a new anamorphic set in a month or so, should be great.

I'd be careful with the Fellini films, they're not very accessible... to me, he's overrated. If you want to check out some foreign films, there are many, many, great directors but right now Kieslowski is my favorite. I just got the Criterion Double Life Of Veronique, just a spectacular set... but start with the Three Colors instead, and watch them in order (Blue, then White, then Red).

Also, being an action film fan, you owe it to yourself to check out some Kurosawa. The Seven Samurai is one of the greatest films ever made (Hollywood turned it into the Magnificent Seven), but The Hidden Fortress (Lucas' inspiration for Star Wars) is my favorite. Wait for Yojimbo (Leone turned it into Fistful of Dollars) cause Criterion is issuing a new anamorphic set in a month or so, should be great.

850494[/snapback]

Yep, I had added the Red, White, and Blue films to my queue a few weeks ago. They must have just been out on DVD or soemthing cause I'd never herad of them until I went through the release list at rottentomatoes.com I'm glad to hear they're good, cause I was pretty intrigued when I read the feedback at netflix. I've heard of Kurosawa but never seen his stuff....guess that'll have to change too :D

850494[/snapback]

All good films, although i find the colors' trilogy overrated.

Fellini can be VERY tough, that's why I suggested Amarcord as a starting point. Ginger and Fred is also very accessible, but not up to Fellini standards, IMO. Rico, if you haven't seen it, try Amarcord.

All good films, although i find the colors' trilogy overrated.

Fellini can be VERY tough, that's why I suggested Amarcord as a starting point.  Ginger and Fred is also very accessible, but not up to Fellini standards, IMO.  Rico, if you haven't seen it, try Amarcord.

850539[/snapback]

Actually, I saw Amarcord during it's theatrical run... I believe at the North Park theater or maybe it was the Showplace. The new Criterion is very nice, and I agree, that's my favorite of all of his that I've seen. La Dolce Vita and 8-1/2, though, are considered masterpieces, but I had to play them back with the commentary turned on to follow what the hell they were all about. :D When it comes to Italian directors, I much prefer Leone, Bertolucci, De Sica, Bava, and Argento... though I give FF the nod over Antonioni (ZZZZZZ) and Pasolini :lol:

Cincy, this is one i have NOT seen!  Interesting.

BTW, it's nice to see your avatar is celebrating the Nancy Pelosi reign with the rest of the country!  :wallbash:

NEW SMILES???  :worthy:

850237[/snapback]

You have sullied my avatar... :censored::oops:

I see the new avatars. They will enhance snide behavior...

:thumbsup: See?

You have sullied my avatar... :thumbsup:  :worthy:

I see the new avatars.  They will enhance snide behavior...

:wallbash:    See?

850798[/snapback]

I thought you'd like that.

BTW, I think fellow Wallers should get used to using the avatar below when replying to my posts. No words are really necessary:

:censored:

I kill me.

Actually, I saw Amarcord during it's theatrical run... I believe at the North Park theater or maybe it was the Showplace. The new Criterion is very nice, and I agree, that's my favorite of all of his that I've seen. La Dolce Vita and 8-1/2, though, are considered masterpieces, but I had to play them back with the commentary turned on to follow what the hell they were all about. :censored: When it comes to Italian directors, I much prefer Leone, Bertolucci, De Sica, Bava, and Argento... though I give FF the nod over Antonioni (ZZZZZZ) and Pasolini :wallbash:

850590[/snapback]

I saw Amarcord during it's original theatrical run, too. I didn't think you were that freakin old, Rico. :worthy:

If you like Leone (and who doesn't), see Tampopo (if you already haven't). It's a "Noodle Western". The story is very Sergio Leone-esque, but it's about who can make the best Japanese noodles. The sex scene with the goldfish is one of the funnier things I've ever seen. Of course, as with most things in life, drugs help.

Argento is one sick fu#k. Some of his stuff is brilliant, some just gratuitous, IMO. But as I love vampire/horror/occult movies, I always love a Dario flick.

Hey, here's a thought, azepp, check out "To the Devil a Daughter". A film about the occult with a very young (but, legal), naked and smoking-hot Nastassja Kinski. Just thought I'd bring it all back to pedophelia.

DAMN! They are calling my flight...just when I was getting to the good part in Pretty Baby.

I'm KIDDING! :thumbsup:

I saw Amarcord during it's original theatrical run, too.  I didn't think you were that freakin old, Rico.  :thumbsup:

850842[/snapback]

I was just a young lad, had to sneak into the theater. :wallbash:
If you like Leone (and who doesn't), see Tampopo (if you already haven't).  It's a "Noodle Western".  The story is very Sergio Leone-esque, but it's about who can make the best Japanese noodles.  The sex scene with the goldfish is one of the funnier things I've ever seen.  Of course, as with most things in life, drugs help.

850842[/snapback]

Haven't seen it, I'll check it out.
Hey, here's a thought, azepp, check out "To the Devil a Daughter".  A film about the occult with a very young (but, legal), naked and smoking-hot Nastassja Kinski.  Just thought I'd bring it all back to pedophelia. 

850842[/snapback]

Maybe she was legal in Europe, but she was not legal in the US. :censored: