Bears timeout backfired.

Just before halftime, the New England kicker was lining up for a 52 yarder. The Bears got a timeout just as the ball was being snapped, and the guy kicked it anyway. It had plenty of distance. The crowd booed like crazy, as if he had made the field goal. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were just raving about how it would've been good from 60, and what a smart move Lovie Smith made by calling the timeout.

Problem was, the kick was wide right. Dude missed it by a couple inches. Then after the timeout, he MADE THE KICK. The Pats won by 4....not saying that if the Bears hadn't called timout and they didn't get the 3 that the 2nd half would've gone exactly the same, but if it had, Chicago would've only needed a field goal instead of a touchdown to win that game.

Nobody ever pointed out that the guy actually missed the first kick. I think the announcers' view from the 50, obviously they thought he made it. But the replay clearly showed it was wide.

Somebody should've made a point out of that timeout actually unfroze the kicker, and maybe won the game for the Pats.

I am glad I am not the only one who saw this. I was watching with my buddy (a huge Bears fan) and he was like "crap!" when the first kick "went through". I was like, "that wasn't good"...he looked at me like I was nuts. Aikman and Buck talked like it was a good kick too. I thought I was going blind or something. That thing was about a foot wide right....

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Those guys botched that call up pretty good.  Then the refs not knowing if the guy made it the 2nd time.  Refs had some wierd callls today

849056[/snapback]

And the 2 interference non-calls against the Pats in the first half, and the two (!) sideline NE catches ruled good by the on-field refs within the 2 minute warning - both overturned upon review.

NE got their first penalty with 4 minutes left in the 3rd...the Tedy aura elevates all play. :lol: