V for Vendetta

daquixers_is_back

Yeah, we had a thread on it several months ago....I think the consensus was that people liked it. I saw it on DVD and really enjoyed it.

It's available in HD-DVD as well.  Havn't seen it yet, but supposed to look very good :devil:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/vforvendetta.html

848702[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I don't even have to see it in HD to know that it will look great! Unless they totally botch the transfer - which we know won't happen since we're not talking about Blu-ray - it will be very nice looking. It will sound great, too ;)

One of the few comic book adaptations that IMO was better than the source material.(Alan Moore would have a fit if he read that.) The original comics were a bit pretentious & belaboured for my liking but the movie (to me) is an instant classic.

One of the few comic book adaptations that IMO was better than the source material.(Alan Moore would have a fit if he read that.)  The original comics were a bit pretentious & belaboured for my liking but the movie (to me) is an instant classic.

850512[/snapback]

Speaking of comic book adaptations, I *really* love Sin City. Watched it over the weekend (on a crappy TV, unfortunately...) and it was just as good as the first time I saw it. My father-in-law thought it was some ad for a video game. :D

I've thought about buying the Sin City graphic novels, but havn't figured out what order to buy/'read them in, and not sure if I"d actually look at them more than once anyway.

I've had the DVD for six weeks and have watches it at least 6 times.   :lol:

849970[/snapback]

You are more of a freak than I am! :D

Did you ever read the comic book series by Frank Miller? It is BETTER!

<edit>

Oops! Looks like Dibs and me disagree. But who pays attention to a guy whose avatar is an aardvark? :lol:

Speaking of comic book adaptations, I *really* love Sin City.  Watched it over the weekend (on a crappy TV, unfortunately...) and it was just as good as the first time I saw it.  My father-in-law thought it was some ad for a video game.  :huh:

I've thought about buying the Sin City graphic novels, but havn't figured out what order to buy/'read them in, and not sure if I"d actually look at them more than once anyway.

850550[/snapback]

I'll probably come across a little as 'comic book geek' here but........yeah, Sin City is an awesome adaptation(re-creation). It was visually....& pretty much panel for panel.....recreated on the bigger canvas of the silver screen. Writer/artist Frank Miller was co-director which only added to the adaptation. They literally got the look of each panel in the comics & tried to have the movie look exactly the same.....to the point of scenes with angled walls & sparse open empty rooms. I actually felt the dialog should have been altered more for the big screen......words on a page can seem more 'real' than when actually heard.

I tend not to be overly interested in the artwork of a comic book(though I appreciate good art & I like a minimum standard) but Sin City is one of the few comics(IMO) where the artwork is actually artistic. Many of the panels would make excellent posters/wall hangings. It is literally the only comic I have ever bought mainly for the artwork(story is cool too though).

The order of graphic novels goes.....

The Hard Goodbye

A Dame to Kill for

The Big Fat Kill

That Yellow Bastard

Family Values

Booze, Broads and Bullets

Hell & Back

***You'll find the spines of the books align to show a picture of Nancy(the stripper)....It's an easy way to figure which one comes first/next/etc.***

I highly recommend getting the 1st one 'The Hard Goodbye'. It was the story used in the movie about Marv(Mickey Rourke) & was IMO by far the most entertaining of all the Sin City stuff......though the others are very good also.

There was a special edition DVD which contained a copy of the 1st Graphic Novel....lovely product.....great way to enjoy both mediums(plus it enables you to physically compare the panels of the comic to the movie).

Well.......I've rambled on enough & have probably removed all doubts about my geekiness. Oh well. :bag:

Edited by Dibs

Oops! Looks like Dibs and me disagree. But who pays attention to a guy whose avatar is an aardvark?  :bag:

850557[/snapback]

How come you use Aussie Vegemite for your avatar? Are you an ex-pat?

I understand Vegemite can no longer be imported into the US......some weird content rule.....apparently spreads can only be imported if they are edible.....go figure.

Speaking of great comic books adaptations......Watchmen is finally moving again. If they don't use Buscemi for Rorschach I'll be amazed....perfect casting IMO.

There was a special edition DVD which contained a copy of the 1st Graphic Novel....lovely product.....great way to enjoy both mediums(plus it enables you to physically compare the panels of the comic to the movie).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I actually have that DVD, and remember glancing at the comic before the movie, but never looked at it again. I should dig that up again.

So something like this is what I'd be looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Millers-Complete-Lib...ie=UTF8&s=books

And what's the difference between that and these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Millers-Sin-Ci...ie=UTF8&s=books

Oh yeah, I forgot about that!  I actually have that DVD, and remember glancing at the comic before the movie, but never looked at it again.  I should dig that up again.

So something like this is what I'd be looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Millers-Complete-Lib...ie=UTF8&s=books

And what's the difference between that and these ones:

851184[/snapback]

The first lot are smaller soft cover GNs(smaller than the original comic book size)....printed in that format a little before the movie came out....they are the ones I was referring to with Nancy on the spines. The one that came with the DVD is the same sort, but a little smaller again.

The big black ones are 2 slipcases containing 7 trades....4 in the first, 3 in the second.....these are HC & larger than the original comic book size(which really shows off the artistic panels). They are basically the deluxe versions.

There were also soft cover trades available(not any more though) in a normal comic book size(pre-movie).....and of course the original comic books(available as collectable back issues).

If money is not a huge factor, I highly recommend the HC version.

***Gee, can you tell that I worked in a comic book store one day a week for 16.5 years?***

Edited by Dibs

How come you use Aussie Vegemite for your avatar?  Are you an ex-pat?

I understand Vegemite can no longer be imported into the US......some weird content rule.....apparently spreads can only be imported if they are edible.....go figure.

Speaking of great comic books adaptations......Watchmen is finally moving again.  If they don't use Buscemi for Rorschach I'll be amazed....perfect casting IMO.

851147[/snapback]

I do not remember where I stumbled across the picture of vegemite, but I liked it. Vegetarian Spam - what a concept. Yes, I am an ex-pat of South Buffalo - Lackawanna. :lol:

I used to have the original black and white Cerebus the Aardvark comics (your avatar). I have been a fan of graphic art (aka comic books) since I was very young. I still have one drawing that Dave Sim made for me.

The Watchmen could be great if they do it right. "Who watches the Watchmen?"

By the way, Frank Miller did GREAT work on Daredevil and Elektra, but you would not know it from those horrible movies. :beer:

Moore's Batman: the Dark Night Returns is reported to be in preproduction for a 2008 release. Anyone who has preconceived notions of Batman will be very surprised by this version! NOT for little kids.

Alan Moore recreated the Swamp Thing and a new genre of horror for DC Comics. Again - horrible movie adaptations.

To prove my uttter geekiness, I also have original art of the Swamp Thing drawn to my design by John Totleben. His name is pronounced "tottle-bahn" but in German Tot-Leben is Death-Life.

...moving along now.... :nana:

I used to have the original black and white Cerebus the Aardvark comics (your avatar). I have been a fan of graphic art (aka comic books) since I was very young. I still have one drawing that Dave Sim made for me.

852502[/snapback]

Used to.... ;) how'd you let em go?

I've been after the first 20 or so for some years now.....hard to find & I probably wont be able to justify the cost if I do find the early ones. They're worth heaps.

BM:TDKR would be awesome as a movie......difficult to get green lit though due to Batman & Superman both being needed(along with Green Arrow....my personal favourite).

**Daredevil movie is my guilty pleasure.....I don't know why exactly.....I just like it. :) **

OK....enough geeky nerdiness for 1 year...<spits on the floor>.....back to manly football.

Used to.... :) how'd you let em go?

I've been after the first 20 or so for some years now.....hard to find & I probably wont be able to justify the cost if I do find the early ones.  They're worth heaps.

I have the first few compilations -- awesome stories. Jaka and apricot brandy... ;)

Snice you're a comic book guy, do you know if "The Tick" was taken from Cerebus? The "superhero" in Cerebus looks just like the Tick...

CW

I have the first few compilations -- awesome stories.  Jaka and apricot brandy... ;)

Snice you're a comic book guy, do you know if "The Tick" was taken from Cerebus?  The "superhero" in Cerebus looks just like the Tick...

CW

853426[/snapback]

Good question....I've never thought about that before. The Cerebus character you are referring to was the Dark Roach(as in cockroach). I guess the Tick physically could have been inspired by it.....being a big fan of the Tick I would guess the only real similarity is that they are both paradoxical characters. The Tick is more of a superman(invulnerable) type whereas the Dark Roach was a direct parody of Batman. Have you read the original 12 issues of Ben Edlunds Tick? Absolutely brilliant....

It seems my top 10 is pretty much everyone else's.

The Tick

Cerebus

BM:TDKR

The Crow

Sandman

Watchmen

Hellblazer(selected)

I know there is only 7 listed but I like to leave room for the future.

Gosh darn it, I wasn't going to nerd up here anymore..... :) (don't ya love the new smilies?)