My 2 cents regarding our team

Mooshocker

I have been reading TSW for about one year now and have to say how informative and entertaining it has been.

I have been hesitant to post a thread because each time I come up with a thought or an idea, I find another individual has already posted it..lol.

That said....I am going to jump in and start taking an active position on this site.

I really like our offensive line. In fact, I think it is about the most talented line we have fielded in about eight years. Fowler seems to play above his physical abilities; Peters will only continue to get better with time; Gandy is obviously much more comfortable at LG; Preston is young, phsycial and along with Gandy and Pennington, will only become more efficient and "stable" as time goes on.

Should this line stay together for the remainder of the season, offseason and right into 2007, I would assume a substantial increase in offensive success based upon that factor alone.

JP seems to have a lot of the tools necessary to win. Very strong, accurate arm. Upfield vision. Busy, yet not wasteful footwork, size and of course, mobility. I can recall critiquing JimBo during his first two or three years in the NFL and noticed how he struggled reading NFL defenses versus his USFL days at times. I even questioned his ability to make the transition. He seemed to rely too much on his cannon arm and "tough guy" attitude. Putting the ball "in there" too often. Remember.....

I truly believe JP will become the type of quarterback who pull's success from a variety of places at different points of a game. His own skills. His ends. His RB's and his WR's. What I mean is JP will not be one dimensional. He will learn to excentuate what is working. He will learn how to read defenses and he will comit himself to taking his game to higher and higher levels. The kid has got it....he just needs to find it and nurture it...just like JimBo and a guy in Green Bay who Glanville said would never make it in the NFL.

Well, I am done for now. It was fun putting my thought on paper and hopefully my misspellings and other errors don't outweigh the message I was trying to convey. Thanks everyone. I look forward to your replies.

I have been reading TSW for about one year now and have to say how informative and entertaining it has been. 

I have been hesitant to post a thread because each time I come up with a thought or an idea, I find another individual has already posted it..lol.

That said....I am going to jump in and start taking an active position on this site. 

I really like our offensive line.  In fact, I think it is about the most talented line we have fielded in about eight years.  Fowler seems to play above his physical abilities; Peters will only continue to get better with time; Gandy is obviously much more comfortable at LG; Preston is young, phsycial and along with Gandy and Pennington, will only become more efficient and "stable" as time goes on.

Should this line stay together for the remainder of the season, offseason and right into 2007, I would assume a substantial increase in offensive success based upon that factor alone.

JP seems to have a lot of the tools necessary to win.  Very strong, accurate arm.  Upfield vision.  Busy, yet not wasteful footwork, size and of course, mobility.  I can recall critiquing JimBo during his first two  or three years in the NFL and noticed how he struggled reading NFL defenses versus his USFL days at times.  I even questioned his ability to make the transition.  He seemed to rely too much on his cannon arm and "tough guy" attitude.  Putting the ball "in there" too often.  Remember.....

I truly believe JP will become the type of quarterback who pull's success from a variety of places at different points of a game.  His own skills.  His ends.  His RB's and his WR's.  What I mean is JP will not be one dimensional.  He will learn to excentuate what is working.  He will learn how to read defenses and he will comit himself to taking his game to higher and higher levels.  The kid has got it....he just needs to find it and nurture it...just like JimBo and a guy in Green Bay who Glanville said would never make it in the NFL.

Well, I am done for now.  It was fun putting my thought on paper and hopefully my misspellings and other errors don't outweigh the message I was trying to convey.  Thanks everyone.  I look forward to your replies.

845051[/snapback]

You had me untill the OL bit! ;)

Great Post. Welcome to Stadium Wall Live!

I like our line also. Here are some stats about our "old" (pre-bye-week) line and our "new" post bye week line:

"old" (pre-bye-week) line (week 5-7): average of 68 yds rushing 4.0 sacks allowed

"new" post bye week line (week 9-11): average of 121 yds rushing , 3.5 sacks allowed

Excellent points and welcome. Of course, I say that because I mostly agree. I do, however, think we can still improve the line this offseason. I'm not sure we can do it so much with starters. I really don't know the FAs that will be out there. I do think that a good draft is needed that will add depth and a solid future for the line.

JP, unforyunately for a few, does appear to have the makings of a good QB and I feel he's here for at least another season or two - borrowing some colossal collapse.

If you've been reading for a while, you know how wrong we are in these statements. ;) Again, welcome to the posting side. I too watched for quite a while before I began posting. And I still try to keep my posting down to a minimum.

Great Post. Welcome to Stadium Wall Live!

I like our line also. Here are some stats about our "old" (pre-bye-week) line and our "new" post bye week line:

"old" (pre-bye-week) line (week 5-7): average of 68 yds rushing  4.0 sacks allowed

"new" post bye week line (week 9-11): average of 121 yds rushing , 3.5 sacks allowed

845065[/snapback]

week 5-7 we played the #1,25th and #4 ranked defenses.

week 9-11 we played the 24th, 16th, and 28th ranked defense

That might have something to do with the difference in statistics. If the offensive stats improve particularly in the redzone color me convinced. Right now though I chalk it up to our opponents defensive weakness.

......I really like our offensive line.  In fact, I think it is about the most talented line we have fielded in about eight years. ......

845051[/snapback]

Welcome to the wall....& good post.

I disagree about the most talented. 2004 was a pretty decent line.

I feel it is too early to be conclusive on how the line will pan out. I agree that there is a lot of 'potential' in it.....but there are far too many 'maybes' to call it anywhere near where you are putting it.

Peters.....can he keep developing at LT....or will he have to be moved back to RT?

Gandy......looks better at LG than LT but can he produce at a consistent level in short yardage & pass protection?

Fowler.....can he improve & stabilize or is he a short term answer.....we simply cannot get push up the middle.

Preston.....promising youngster....again, can he improve to the required level?

Pennington.....7th round pick who has struggled mightily in his first 3 starts.....another one who shows promise but.....can he improve?

I'd love it if all the players reached their potential & gelled as a unit....I feel however that this is an unrealistic expectation. I'll be very happy if Peters & one other show themselves by end of year to be locks at their positions.....ecstatic if we achieve 3 locks.

I still expect in virtually all circumstances that we will acquire a 'name' OG in FA or we will draft 2 interior linemen on the first day(this assumes that Peters pans out).

Re: JP......I can't really talk coherently about him this week.....I'm still giddy with excitement over how he performed. Hopefully we see some more of the same next week.