Scrap The BCS

H2o

It doesnt matter who picks the teams in a playoff format.  You make it so that ANY undefeated team is in, and the rest shakes out.  If you get left off the bubble, sorry, you lost a game.  You had your chance.  The problem now is that its possible to do everything everyone asked of you, win every game, and not get a chance to prove you are the best at what you do.

845298[/snapback]

Exactly my point. Notre Dame is my team, but they got THUMPED by Michigan at home. If they beat USC and don't get the title shot, it's their fault for folding the way they did against the Wolverines. Honestly, I don't see how you could put them in the title game over Michigan because of what I just said and I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ND GET A SHOT AT OHIO ST. if for no other reason than maybe a possible revenge factor for last year!!! But I can't see where it could be justified, unless ND just straight puts a butt whippin on USC in their house. If we had the playoff system it would cut out alot of the bickering and "could'a, would'a, should'as" that we're all going to have to listen to after some one gets selected to play against Ohio St.

Wow, the playoff scenario is that popular in here ? I want to scrap the BCS to go back to the OLD POLLS AND SPLIT- TITLE DAYS.

The USC - Notre Dame match-up is meaningless if they're both going to make a playoff anyway. I don't want meaningless games in November in this particular and unique sport. I would rather see Boise get a shot at Michigan or the top SEC team on the same day that OSU is challenged by another top foe. Let the voters finish the thing, their fingerprints are all over the process anyway.

And don't tell me about BYU and the Holiday Bowl. The weaka** early commitment nonsense sunk the old system, the Cougar's should have faced a test that year.

I don't want meaningless games in November in this particular and unique sport.

845546[/snapback]

Nor do I. But by my count there are 18 games on saturday with a ranked team playing. One of them (USC/ND) is important to the national championship picture. and 2 (Arkansas/LSU and Florida/FSU) are marginally important to the title picutre. Its hard to believe someone other than USC or Michigan will be playing Ohio State.

That means there are 17 games that ARE meaningless THIS weekend. If you use my playoff system 13 games matter:

1) BC/Miami matters. BC needs a win to play GT/VT for the Autobid.

2) Texas/Texas A&M Matters. Texas is in a battle with Oklahoma and Nebraska for the Big 12 Autobid.

3) LSU/Arkansas Matters. LSU despratly needs a win to try for an at large bid. Arkansas needs it as insurance in case they lose their conference championship.

4) Florida/Florida State matters. Florida needs the win for insurance same as Arkansas.

5) West Virginia/USF matters. WVA is in a battle with Rutgers/Louisville for the Autobid and possible at large bid.

6) Rutgers/Syracuse matters. Same reason As WVa/USF.

7) Louisville/Pitt matters. Same reason as Rutgers/Syracuse and WVA/USF

8) Oklahoma/Oklahoma state matters. Oklahoma is in a battle with Texas and Nebraska for the Big 12 autobid.

9) Georgia Tech/Georgia matters. GT is in a battle for the ACC Autobid with VT/BC/Wake

10) Boise St/Nevada matters. Using my formula, Boise goes undefeated and they are in.

11) Wake Forst/Maryland matters. Winner might get a chance to play for the ACC Title and autobid.

12) USC/ND matters. USC needs to hold on to their autobid. ND needs to keep winning to get an at large bid.

13) Virginia/VT matters. VT may have a chance to play for the ACC autobid

Colorado/Nebraska really doesnt matter

Clemson/South Carolina really doesnt matter

Tennessee/Kentucky really doesnt matter

BYU/Utah doesnt really matter

Hawaii/Purdue doesnt really matter

I agree with you. Im sick of seeing meaningless games in college football. But every week there are fewer and fewer games that matter.

Under the old system, we would already know that it would be USC-Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, no matter what happens in USC's last two games. However, USC would still have to win their last two to have a shot at the national title.

If USC lost to ND, but beat OSU in the Rose, Michigan would be the likely champ if they rolled in their bowl game.

Wow, the playoff scenario is that popular in here ? I want to scrap the BCS to go back to the OLD POLLS AND SPLIT- TITLE DAYS.

The USC - Notre Dame match-up is meaningless if they're both going to make a playoff anyway. I don't want meaningless games in November in this particular and unique sport. I would rather see Boise get a shot at Michigan or the top SEC team on the same day that OSU is challenged by another top foe. Let the voters finish the thing, their fingerprints are all over the process anyway.

And don't tell me about BYU and the Holiday Bowl. The weaka** early commitment nonsense sunk the old system, the Cougar's should have faced a test that year.

845546[/snapback]

I'd argue that these games wouldn't be meaningless if a playoff seeding and/or bye was on the line. USC would still want that #2 slot.

And in a way, the USC-ND game has lost meaning. I'd argue that save a blowout on either side, the result of this game really means nothing to ND. If we win, we will most likely go to the Sugar Bowl...if we lose, we will most likely go to the Sugar Bowl or at least some other BCS bowl. If there was a chance that we could miss the "playoffs" with a loss this week, I'd say it's pretty meaningful.

Yes, because the playoff scenario is the only sane scenario out there.

Who the hell is advocating giving rid of the BCS for the old system? You're arguing against something thats not being argued for by anyone

I don't want meaningless games in November in this particular and unique sport.

845546[/snapback]

I don't either, which is why I want a playoff system. As it stands right now, most of the games ARE meaningless outside of a few schools (the USC-ND matchup being one of the few).

That means there are 17 games that ARE meaningless THIS weekend.  If you use my playoff system 13 games matter

845674[/snapback]

Yes, the baseball wildcard argument.

Go back a week and OSU - Michigan as well becomes meaningless. Your point multiplies to maybe 30 or more games that matter.

But I WANT THAT OSU - Michigan showdown (as much as their fans maybe), like I want the USC - Notre Dame to come. It is an intensity issue. No second chances. But hey, that's my kink and I guess my time has passed. Just me and the NCAA left ... 0:)

Go back a week and OSU - Michigan as well becomes meaningless. Your point multiplies to maybe 30 or more games that matter.

But I WANT THAT OSU - Michigan showdown (as much as their fans maybe), like I want the USC - Notre Dame to come. It is an intensity issue. No second chances. But hey, that's my kink and I guess my time has passed. Just me and the NCAA left ... :devil:

846583[/snapback]

the Ohio st-michigan isnt meaningless under a playoff system.

The winner of that game last week would have gotten the autobid from the big10, and the overall #1 seed, while the loser would have to wait and hope they got an at-large bid.

The best part of a playoff system with conference autobids would be that the big schools could schedule big time OOC games, like Ohio-st texas. Instead of having to go 12-0, you would just need to win your conference. Thereby providing better matchups for the fans.

But I WANT THAT OSU - Michigan showdown (as much as their fans maybe), like I want the USC - Notre Dame to come. It is an intensity issue. No second chances. But hey, that's my kink and I guess my time has passed. Just me and the NCAA left ... :angry:

846583[/snapback]

How hard is it to realize that its NOT meaningless?

Srsly, stop living in denial

The winner of that game last week would have gotten the autobid from the big10, and the overall #1 seed, while the loser would have to wait and hope they got an at-large bid.

How hard is it to realize that its NOT meaningless?

847109[/snapback]

Not much waiting and hoping in that case.

I'll modify meaningless (it seems to offend) to means less.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.