Nate Clements

I actually made this point in another thread. The teams with the least ammount of cap room seemed to do the best. Teams including the Colts, Bears, Patriots ... etc all have less than 10 mill with the Colts/Pats having around zero.

843029[/snapback]

I've heard from various sources the Pats will have mucho cap room next year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clements is playing angry with that swagger again.  When he was on his game you'd see him jawing with the other team....he's been quiet most of the year but his swagger is coming back, and his play shows it.

844465[/snapback]

Should have signed him two weeks back when his value would have been the least it could be.

What a surprise...a guy who is 6 games away from cashing in on the payday of a lifetime has all of sudden come to life. He is worth 5-6 million, but not the ridiculous jack that will be thrown at him come free agency. He is going to laugh at Marv between now and free agency if he tries to get him to sign a long term contract.

What a surprise...a guy who is 6 games away from cashing in on the payday of a lifetime has all of sudden come to life.  He is worth 5-6 million, but not the ridiculous jack that will be thrown at him come free agency.  He is going to laugh at Marv between now and free agency if he tries to get him to sign a long term contract.

844585[/snapback]

I know I thought that too....I just convinced myself to believe they're letting him play more man coverage now even though you are prob right :rolleyes:

Don't forget the Redskins, oh wait that would throw off your theory a little

843768[/snapback]

Uhm ... the majority weighs out the minority.

I'm skeptical. He hadn't done sh-- in the prior 8 weeks. Now he's all-world? Color me cynical.

844613[/snapback]

Some people try to say this and it makes NO SENSE. He has been shutting down receivers ALL YEAR LONG. Notice how McGee was the name that kept getting called in the game .. thats because the WR Clements was covering was shutdown. The only difference is that the past few weeks Clements has been getting more "TV" time with the bat-downs late in the game. But dont mis-understand. He has been shutting down receivers all year long. I dont think he has been beat for a TD all year (anyone remember). If you really want to watch a DB's play, GO TO THE GAME! You can see the stuff that the TV doesnt show you (such as him blanketing receivers).

Uhm ... the majority weighs out the minority.

Some people try to say this and it makes NO SESNE. He has been shutting down receivers ALL YEAR LONG. Notice how McGee was the name that kept getting called in the game .. thats because the WR Clements was covering was shutdown. The only difference is that the past few weeks Clements has been getting more "TV" time with the bat-downs late in the game. But dont mis-understand. He has been shutting down receivers all year long. I dont think he has been beat for a TD all year (anyone remember). If you really want to watch a DB's play, GO TO THE GAME! You can see the stuff that the TV doesnt show you (such as him blanketing receivers).

844905[/snapback]

You could also easily argue that if there has been mistakes in the secondary this past year it has more to do with the Safties learning the system than the CB's themselves. Perhaps the reason the CB's always played 10 yards back was because Jauron and Fewell never trusted the safties to shut down a WR who would take off to the endzone. Nate needs to be resigned, period.

Clements might end up being overpaid, but who nowadays isn't? Every off-season it seems like 'oh, that guy got too much' or 'man, that team is paying that guy way more than he's worth'... maybe it's time to realize that players aren't valued what they once were and that this is merely the cost of doing business in the NFL (and most pro sports) today. RE-SIGN CLEMENTS.

Getting Nate back will have to be an economic decision, not just a talent decision. Clearly we want him back economics aside, but if committing too much money to him hurts us in other areas or prevents us from getting better in other areas, we will have to deal with the loss, and hope Youboty can step up.

But if the team starts playing better and showing promise and he is having fun, he might be more interested in staying in Buffalo, and hopefully there won't be another team who breaks the bank and makes that impossible.

Jus figured I would start the Nate Clements to be re-signed thread for this week ... flame away.

** edited to appease people who couldnt figure out that I meant "re-sign" instead of "resign"

841225[/snapback]

I'm actually agreeing with you on this one. For the first 4 games of the season most of you know that I wanted Clements out of Buffalo. However, Clements over the past few weeks has played quite well. I hope we re-sign him too, BUT it will all depend on how much money he'll be asking for. So, yes, I've decided to hop back on the Clements bandwagon.