UCLA 'taser' scandal...

Tux of Borg

What's wrong with that?   You can't intervene when a police officer is making an arrest.   They are lucky they weren't tased and arrested with him.

840025[/snapback]

Hate to break this to you, but is illegal for a police officer to threaten harm to anyone seeking information on their name or badge number. Welcome to law 101.

P.S. In fact it is unlawful for a police officer to not give his name and badge number PERIOD ... in most areas.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to break this to you, but is illegal for a police officer to threaten harm to anyone seeking information on their name or badge number. Welcome to law 101.

P.S. In fact it is unlawful for a police officer to not give his name and badge number PERIOD ... in most areas.

840487[/snapback]

My roommate, a SWAT team officer with a masters in Police Administration, said you need to ask for your tuition money back.

But don't let that discourage you in your future endeavors.

My roommate, a SWAT team officer with a masters in Police Administration, said you need to ask for your tuition money back.

But don't let that discourage you in your future endeavors.

840497[/snapback]

From NYC.Gov

From the sample "Procedure 203-09 (Public Contact - general), states that officers must "give name and shield number to anyone requesting them"

Please notice how I said "in most areas" though ... certain districts do differ.

More:

For example, in Police

Department v. Tirado, when the civilian demanded the officer’s badge number, the officer did not respond and claimed that

he believed the civilian was taking the information from his badge. The court stated, however, that “[a] mere belief that a civilian

can see an officer’s shield is insufficient to fulfill this obligation.”20 Similarly, in Police Department v. Shepard, though the

officer failed to respond to the civilian’s request for his name, the civilian did manage to note his name from the officer’s nameplate.

Yet the court stated that “the fact that [the civilian] noted [the officer’s] name on his name plate does not justify his failure

to respond to her inquiry.”21

Here is another case in Florida:

C. Allegations

1) The MDPD officers searched Mr. George’s vehicle without his consent.

2) Officer Daniel Figueroa and Officer Kevin Thelwell refused to provide the complainant with their names and badge numbers when requested.

I think YOUR friend is the one who needs his tuition money back.

Here is another case in Florida:

I think YOUR friend is the one who needs his tuition money back.

840510[/snapback]

I see reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points. Look up 'obstruction of justice' under misdemeanors and get back with me. Be sure to highlight the part that says you can't interfere with an arresting officer. Which is clearly what they are doing in the video.

I see reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points.  Look up 'obstruction of justice' under misdemeanors and get back with me.  Be sure to highlight the part that says you can't interfere with an arresting officer.  Which is clearly what they are doing in the video.

840525[/snapback]

As far as I can tell he wasnt imposing any harm or obstructing the officer from doing his job. Wasnt he simply asking for his badge number? Either way you cant threaten someone ... but of course the NY and FL gov. are wrong along with the colleges main attorney.

As far as I can tell he wasnt imposing any harm or obstructing the officer from doing his job. Wasnt he simply asking for his badge number? Either way you cant threaten someone ... but of course the NY and FL gov. are wrong along with the colleges main attorney.

840527[/snapback]

The student was interfering with the arrest. At the time Tabatabainejad was resisting arrest, and the officer told the students to back up. That was a lawful order that they must obey. But keep googling laws that have nothing to do with this. It's becoming quite obvious you have no idea how to apply them to a real life situation.

The student was interfering with the arrest.   At the time Tabatabainejad was resisting arrest, and the officer told the students to back up.  That was a lawful order that they must obey.  But keep googling laws that have nothing to do with this.  It's becoming quite obvious you have no idea how to apply them to a real life situation.

840532[/snapback]

Or I just didnt watch the tape because I dont want to expose my mind to that garbage :D I was trying to piece together what happened by what the posters said on this thread ... google? no. college WIKI and findlaw.com yes.

edit: this convo is dragging on too long and I believe we both know which side each-other is coming from

Or I just didnt watch the tape because I dont want to expose my mind to that garbage  :D I was trying to piece together what happened by what the posters said on this thread ... google? no. college WIKI and findlaw.com yes.

Now lets get off of YOUR topic and get back onto MINE. I was responding to the fact that people said the officers refused to give the people their badge numbers. Im sorry to hurt your roommates feelings but that is UN-LAWFUL! An officer MUST give his badge number when asked (now in the middle of an arrest is a different subject, but as I said I dont want to watch the tape).

Your a lot like one of the females in my district law class ... she seems to think the police officer has complete power over you. Thats just not the case and dont be suprised if you see a lawsuit coming out of this.

840535[/snapback]

First off, Wikipedia is not a creditable source. At least it wasn't when I went to college.

Second, how do you expect to put up an argument about something you haven't seen? And you want to know why you come off sounding like the village idiot.

My roommate has crashed for the night. But I still believe someone who has been to the police academy over you.

Saying the police have compete power over you is a broad statement. Perhaps you can give me some specific examples.

First off, Wikipedia is not a creditable source.  At least it wasn't when I went to college.

Second, how do you expect to put up an argument about something you haven't seen?  And you want to know why you come off sounding like the village idiot. 

My roommate has crashed for the night.   But I still believe someone who has been to the police academy over you. 

Saying the police have compete power over you is a broad statement.  Perhaps you can give me some specific examples.

840546[/snapback]

Thats why I put edit: and put that whole thing. Its not worth arguing over. I believe a person who has gone to the police academy over myself ... no doubt about that. Once I complete my bachelors degree and law school, it may be a different story. We shall see.

Uhm ... WIKI is not Wikipedia. College WIKI is a resource where all English professors, Math pofessors and Law professors put information down. Almost like notes, subject materials, links to information ... etc. Mine was from my law professors. Nothing to do with Wikipedia.

Thats why I put edit: and put that whole thing. Its not worth arguing over.  I believe a person who has gone to the police academy over myself ... no doubt about that. Once I complete my bachelors degree and law school, it may be a different story. We shall see.

840549[/snapback]

To quote him this morning, "We don't give our badge number out to people not involved. We are also not required to give our number out to the person being arrested because all that information will be on the ticket".

I probably was the first one to see this.  Is this how the police treat people today?!  I'll be so nervous once I get pulled over by a cop on my first traffic ticket.  I don't think I'll be able to think straight. :D

840446[/snapback]

If a cop pulls you over for doing something stupid and show him respect (ie: answer his questions, Yes Sir, No Sir, look him in the eye) 75 % of the time he won't even ticket you, he'll just give you a warning. If you want to be like this numb nut in the video and get all cocky and bust the cops nuts, I guarantee you'll be walking away with a ticket for everything he can think of.

Or I just didnt watch the tape because I dont want to expose my mind to that garbage  :D I was trying to piece together what happened by what the posters said on this thread ... google?

840535[/snapback]

If you didn't watch the video then stop posting in this thread.

No student was ever threatened for asking for a badge number. One student was told to move back or else he would be tased.

Not really surprising that there are already two HUGE lies about this story:

1. That the initial student was tasered because "he didn't have his ID badge."

2. That other students were threatened because they asked for badge numbers from the officers.

Why the hell didn't they just drag him out instead of tasering the guy over and over?

Seems excessive to me.

There were both there.  The guys with tasers, UCPD, are actual police officers. Lots of bigger Universities do this (like UTPD here in Austin).

The timeline according to the school newspaper article that I read online went like this:

1.) The rent-a-cop performs a search of IDs, the student is found to be without his BruinCard and is asked to leave.

2.) The rent-a-cop decides that the student is not leaving quickly enough, and calls UCPD.

3.) UCPD arrives within 2-3 minutes, the student has already begun leaving.

4.) UCPD finds the student walking towards the exit of the library, and a UCPD officer grabs the student's arm.

5.) The student does not respond well to this move, starts telling the officers to let go of him and makes his body go limp.

6.) This is where the video picks up from.

840485[/snapback]

And do you believe that the timeline provided by the student newspaper is actually factual?

Do you also have the CBS News memo's?

Wake up and smell the coffee, or take your lips off the bong................

If you didn't watch the video then stop posting in this thread.

No student was ever threatened for asking for a badge number.  One student was told to move back or else he would be tased.

Not really surprising that there are already two HUGE lies about this story:

1. That the initial student was tasered because "he didn't have his ID badge."

2. That other students were threatened because they asked for badge numbers from the officers.

840612[/snapback]

My God, I can't believe I got sucked back into this one.

SnR, I totally agree. This is how urban legends get started, and fact get mangled up.

For the record:

1. The people doing the arresting/tasing were REAL LIVE POLICE OFFICERS not rent-a-cops. They have them on most large colleges.

2. The kid got tased because he was resisting the cops and not cooperating. Not because he didn't have his ID. Not surprising, the other students interviewed would take the side of the college kid due to the tramatic nature of the scene they had just witnessed. And we all know it's fun to blame the big bad stormtroopers for abusing a poor, defenseless college sweetheart who was just exercising his right to resist direct orders from a law enforcement officer, right?

3. A police officer is NOT legally bound to stop in the middle of an arrest with a dangerous situation and politely give out his name and badge number to people not associated with the situation. The girl in the video is threatened because the cop felt she was getting to close, and told her to get back.

Jesus Christ people, get over it. The cops are most likely going to be found not guilty and this will all be over. The sweetheart already is on record saying that he didn't think he should have to listen to the police because he THOUGHT they were picking on him because of his race. This is simply a case of a smartass little punk getting what he deserved for acting like a jackass to the cops.

If you get stopped by the police tonight, I invite you to try the same tact. Stay in your car, resisit the instructions given to you, and I guarantee you will get tased too.

I think the kid should get his ass convicted of resisting arrest and thrown in jail. There is direct evidence of this on the tape. Then maybe people will stop thinking the rules don't apply to them and listen to the police.

God knows, I am no fan of the cops. But even I can see this is not abuse. If you people can't then I can't help you. A man's perception is reality, and I have found that people only see what they want to see...

"Resisting the cops"?

According to a study published in the Lancet Medical Journal in 2001, a charge of three to five seconds can result in immobilization for five to 15 minutes, which would mean that Tabatabainejad could have been physically unable to stand when the officers demanded that he do so.