This is Typical of Today's Politicians

"The City put up the funds for the project. It's my understanding that's the end of our responsibility."

Are you kidding me? You spend 865 THOUSAND dollars to move 5 ratty little houses and you don't think you have a responsibility to the people whose money you stole to do that?

WHEN ARE THE REST OF YOU PEOPLE GOING TO WAKE UP?

"The City put up the funds for the project.  It's my understanding that's the end of our responsibility."

Are you kidding me?  You spend 865 THOUSAND dollars to move 5 ratty little houses and you don't think you have a responsibility to the people whose money you stole to do that?

WHEN ARE THE REST OF YOU PEOPLE GOING TO WAKE UP?

837249[/snapback]

Today's politicians? I suppose you would like Boss Tweed to return from the dead and run our city? Corruption and incompetence are as old as government.

Today's politicians? I suppose you would like Boss Tweed to return from the dead and run our city? Corruption and incompetence are as old as government.

837273[/snapback]

Thanks for concentrating on the smallest part of the subject and bringing absolutely nothing to the discussion. Missing the entire point is the strength of "today's" citizen.

Holy cow...there is SO MUCH wrong with this story...

1) They paid 865,000 to MOVE 5 x $100,000 houses....doing the math, they paid nearly twice what the houses were worth to MOVE and repair them.

2) What mortgage lender approved these loans without a home inspection?

3) I saw nothing in this tv spot that justifies failing an inspection. Broken vanities, loose handrails and soffet do not constitute a disaster house. Not saying there isnt serious violations here, but this spot did not show them.

4) Who managed this project? I can see the city saying they are only responsible to fund the project, but clearly there was a recipient of this money, and a contract in place. Someone either botched the contract, or the recipient did not perform to their contactural obligations. Time to consult legal.

I wondered the same thing about IRAQ. We've spent $400 billion minimum to date (most of the expenditures have been hidden in additional appropriations).

Is this investment worth it? Was invading Iraq worth spending hundreds of billions of $s on the so called war on terror? Or is the $865 thousand question more important?

Holy cow...there is SO MUCH wrong with this story...

1) They paid 865,000 to MOVE 5 x $100,000 houses....doing the math, they paid nearly twice what the houses were worth to MOVE and repair them.

2) What mortgage lender approved these loans without a home inspection?

3) I saw nothing in this tv spot that justifies failing an inspection.  Broken vanities, loose handrails and soffet do not constitute a disaster house.  Not saying there isnt serious violations here, but this spot did not show them.

4) Who managed this project?  I can see the city saying they are only responsible to fund the project, but clearly there was a recipient of this money, and a contract in place.  Someone either botched the contract, or the recipient did not perform to their contactural obligations.  Time to consult legal.

837275[/snapback]

I know you aren't saying the city doesn't have the responsibility to the taxpayers to ensure they are getting a return for the hard earned money they pay in taxes. How many other million dollar projects has the city "funded" with no oversight? When was the last time you paid for a service and when it wasn't delivered, you just moved on?

The cavalier attitude of this Mayor is pretty much the way all of them work and why we pay more and more each year and get less and less in return for it. The only thing actually growing in America is the size and scope of all levels of government. Well, and our waistlines...

Thanks for concentrating on the smallest part of the subject and bringing absolutely nothing to the discussion.  Missing the entire point is the strength of "today's" citizen.

837274[/snapback]

I agree corruption is a problem today, just look at Iraq. Hopefully the Democrats will not hold back in exposing what looks like the gross fraud that has been perpatrated in Iraq by the theives there who make millions while our soldiers die. That's sick to think about, our boys dying while others grow incredibly wealthy, but so goes the world.

But you shouldn't have made it seem like it was just a problem for today, its always been this way. In fact at other times it was much worse. Thanks to the Progressives for fixing the worst of abuses early in the 20th century. Obviously things have slid backwards of late

I wondered the same thing about IRAQ.  We've spent $400 billion minimum to date (most of the expenditures have been hidden in additional appropriations).

Is this investment worth it?  Was invading Iraq worth spending hundreds of billions of $s on the so called war on terror?  Or is the $865 thousand question more important?

837276[/snapback]

And that's not nearly the entire cost of this disaster. How long did combat last in first Iraq war? Like 100 hours? And something like 1/3 of all servicemen and women filed for disability who were in combat there. Think how much this conflict will cost down the road just in that aspect.

I wondered the same thing about IRAQ.  We've spent $400 billion minimum to date (most of the expenditures have been hidden in additional appropriations).

Is this investment worth it?  Was invading Iraq worth spending hundreds of billions of $s on the so called war on terror?  Or is the $865 thousand question more important?

837276[/snapback]

I'm sorry, does the Mayor of an average city in America have some bearing on the decision to invade Iraq? When you're running that through that muddled thing atop your shoulders, you'll realize this thread isn't about the federal government - it's about the SYSTEMIC ABUSE that LEADS to larger things. Think "nip it in the bud" - because that's the way to actually turn the tide.

I guess there's some reason for you to interject that here. You know, because you haven't covered it 400 other times and I've been an avid Iraq/Bush supporter since the beginning of time. You really showed me. :blink:

You are such a fuggin' tool sometimes.

I agree corruption is a problem today, just look at Iraq. Hopefully the Democrats will not hold back in exposing what looks like the gross fraud that has been perpatrated in Iraq by the theives there who make millions while our soldiers die. That's sick to think about, our boys dying while others grow incredibly wealthy, but so goes the world.

Yeah, the Democrats are going to ride to the rescue. As if they didn't perpetuated the way government is during their 40 year reign of fiscal terror. That's rich - and ignorant as hell.

But you shouldn't have made it seem like it was just a problem for today, its always been this way. In fact at other times it was much worse. Thanks to the Progressives for fixing the worst of abuses early in the 20th century. Obviously things have slid backwards of late

837279[/snapback]

Are you kidding? Nah, you're just another partisan lemming whose willingness to turn a blind eye at the transgressions of their party of choice is the real reason this quandry exists in the first place.

Yeah, the Democrats are going to ride to the rescue.  As if they didn't perpetuated the way government is during their 40 year reign of fiscal terror.  That's rich - and ignorant as hell.

Are you kidding?  Nah, you're just another partisan lemming whose willingness to turn a blind eye at the transgressions of their party of choice is the real reason this quandry exists in the first place.

837287[/snapback]

No, Dems will not ride to rescue, that's impossible. Bush has screwed things up so badly that it will take more than the 110th Congress to clean up.

Why do you call me a partisan lemming? I'd like Rudy Gulianni to be President.

Why do you throw insults?

Can't you just use rational arguments?

And really, you of all people shouldn't be calling anyone ignorant.

837276[/snapback]

:blink::D:D:P

No, Dems will not ride to rescue, that's impossible. Bush has screwed things up so badly that it will take more than the 110th Congress to clean up.

Yeah, right before he got elected everything was just peachy. Thanks for the being so succinctly ignorant.

Why do you call me a partisan lemming? I'd like Rudy Gulianni to be President.

Oh, because you'd vote for another liberal who pretends to be something he's not close to being, you're not a liberal apologist? Nice.

Why do you throw insults?

Can't you just use rational arguments?

Nah. You're so brainwashed there's actually a laundry handling tag on your medulla oblongata. There's little point in debating with someone who actually uses the term "progressive" to describe the systemic screwing of the American citizen.

And really, you of all people shouldn't be calling anyone ignorant.

837293[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it all the thought it deserves considering the source.

I know you aren't saying the city doesn't have the responsibility to the taxpayers to ensure they are getting a return for the hard earned money they pay in taxes.  How many other million dollar projects has the city "funded" with no oversight?  When was the last time you paid for a service and when it wasn't delivered, you just moved on?

The cavalier attitude of this Mayor is pretty much the way all of them work and why we pay more and more each year and get less and less in return for it.  The only thing actually growing in America is the size and scope of all levels of government.  Well, and our waistlines...

837277[/snapback]

Im not really disagreeing with you. However, there is just not enough information in this peice for me to form a real opinion on this topic. Who was the money given to? If it was a city managed project, yes the city needs to ensure the project is done up to city codes. If the money was given to some third party orgainzation, they mayor probably has a point. Their hands are probably tied. There is little more they can do other than throw more money at the problem. I just need more information before I can go off the deep end here. I think the mayor is basically saying "we screwed up, we cant fix it now...lets move on"

To put it another way, say the government gives money to support a habitat for humanity project in their city. After the job is complete, faulty wiring causes a house to burn down. Is this the citys responsibility?

Again, im not agreeing or disagreeing with you...I just need a bit more information, though I agree the goverments reaction to this issue leaves me to be quite skeptical.

As for the size of government, you're not going to find anyone on this board (perhaps including youself) who wants to see the size and scope of government reduced more than I do. There is just too much waste and inefficiency. There is little the goverment can do better than private industry.

Nah.  You're so brainwashed there's actually a laundry handling tag on your medulla oblongata.  There's little point in debating with someone who actually uses the term "progressive" to describe the systemic screwing of the American citizen.

837302[/snapback]

Oh, and what of the Progressive/New Deal reforms would you eliminate? Do know what any of them were even? You seem so dogmatic in a free market sense that it reminds me of college with the communist professors who would not acknoledge that capitalism had done any good at all

Oh, and what of the Progressive/New Deal reforms would you eliminate? Do know what any of them were even?

Who are you kidding? Like the "New Deal" is some kind of "Holy Script" that only the Belgian Monks can translate. Newsflash, bush_fumbles: Lots of us went to school.

You seem so dogmatic in a free market sense that it reminds me of college with the communist professors who would not acknoledge that capitalism had done any good at all

837307[/snapback]

Oh, I understand the need for balance between the needs of the individual and the furthering of community. Which is why I also understand how you and those like you are screwing the next 10 generations with your "Progressive" thinking.

I guess there's some reason for you to interject that here.  You know, because you haven't covered it 400 other times and I've been an avid Iraq/Bush supporter since the beginning of time.  You really showed me.  :lol:

You are such a fuggin' tool sometimes.

837282[/snapback]

"iTPS" strikes again! B-)