Before we invaded Iraq

BadDad

Couldnt France, Germany and Russia have made as much money, or even more billions in contracts than they were stealing with Saddam from the UN if Bush had allowed them to get future contracts in the rebuilding process? Just wondering.

I think of all the criticisms I have heard on this board about Bush and Iraq, this is probably the fairest. There was such angst for these countries that it would have been extremely controversial to allow them to benefit from the aftermath. We'd also have risked giving more power to the insurgency if those who came in weren't resolute about staying there (e.g., if France bailed because of a few hostages and beheadings, it would have strengthened the terrorists).

Going into the hindsight 20/20 mode, I still would have removed Saddam but think swallowing our pride and involving more countries in the security/rebuilding effort may have helped out.

Of course they could but then that's something that's simply not going to happen as long as this administration is "staying the course". Ef the world. ;)

61594[/snapback]

But that's not how the world works. I'm fairly certain that Schlumberger would have been a major bidder for the oil services contract if Chirac grew a backbone in 2002.

Of course then everyone would complain that US companies are losing business to foreign co's....

But that's not how the world works.  I'm fairly certain that Schlumberger would have been a major bidder for the oil services contract if Chirac grew a backbone in 2002. 

Of course then everyone would complain that US companies are losing business to foreign co's....

61626[/snapback]

I really tend to doubt that second part. People wouldn't be pissed that other nations helped rebuild Iraq, especially if there were other countries troops and other countries populations behind it. People are pissed when other countries get our jobs that should be in this country, not foreign jobs.