Abortion Ban Rejected

Here's a novel idea. How about teh government doesn't fund any religious schools. And this is coming from a guy who married a Catholic and is paying thousands per year to send his kids to Catholic schools.

If you want to indoctrinate your kids into a religion through schooling, don't ask me to pay for it. You can pay for it yourself or teach it at home.

839205[/snapback]

Between you and your wife, you're apparently able to earn enough money to send your kids to Catholic schools. That's a good thing, because Catholic schools are generally better than public schools. What do you tell the kids whose parents are too poor to send them to Catholic schools? Do you tell them that your kids got to go to a school which you chose because you can afford it, but that the government got to choose the school for the poor kids because their parents were poor?

How about taking that education money that's going to be spent on the poor kids anyway, and letting the parents decide where it goes?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between you and your wife, you're apparently able to earn enough money to send your kids to Catholic schools. That's a good thing, because Catholic schools are generally better than public schools. What do you tell the kids whose parents are too poor to send them to Catholic schools? Do you tell them that your kids got to go to a school which you chose because you can afford it, but that the government got to choose the school for the poor kids because their parents were poor?

How about taking that education money that's going to be spent on the poor kids anyway, and letting the parents decide where it goes?

839217[/snapback]

How about cutting the Federal Government 75% and returning a ton of money to the people instead? Your solution won't change a thing because more money passing through the Fed simply means the costs of the entity they're funding will continue to rise at a rate far higher than anyone's paycheck.

Don't believe me? Take a look at health care, prescription drugs, and higher education.

Yet by funding public schools who teach Evolution and Evolution only and dont give the students the chance to even wonder IF there is a GOD, is not restricting their freedom? I think evolution should be grouped in as a religion as most people fight for it in that way. If you dont want to fund other religions ... fine. But dont fund any school that ONLY teaches evolution than either.

839165[/snapback]

;) If you want your kids to know about God, then talk to them about God yourself. Explain to them while school talks about the science of evolution, there is another take based on belief of God. It's not the schools place to teach religion. They already have too much other crap to deal with.

But to play devils advocate for a second, if schools were to teach religion, which one? Who says your belief is actually the right belief? Not to mention, you also open up a whole can of relgious persecution for those who don't follow the supposed "right" religion.

How about cutting the Federal Government 75% and returning a ton of money to the people instead?  Your solution won't change a thing because more money passing through the Fed simply means the costs of the entity they're funding will continue to rise at a rate far higher than anyone's paycheck. 

Don't believe me?  Take a look at health care, prescription drugs, and higher education.

839224[/snapback]

Believe me, I'm in favor of massive cuts to government spending. But I don't see how you can eliminate public funding for the education of children--not unless you're willing to accept a world in which poor children are much more likely to grow up illiterate. If government money is going to fund education anyway, it's best that parents get as much say as possible in which schools get that money. Otherwise you just have bureaucrats deciding.

What do you tell the kids whose parents are too poor to send them to Catholic schools?

I tell them they can go to public school for free with the other 90% of the country. And they can teach their kids Catholicism at home if they want. Or if they're so hot to send their kids to Catholic school they can get another job to pay for it.

All Americans have the right to a free public education. Anything else is your responsibility not mine or anybody else's.

There's two kinds of parents.

One doesn't care about their kids education and as a result doesn't deserve to be given money and entrusted with that kind of decision

The other does care about thier kids education and money doesn't matter to them because that kid is going to be just fine.

If you want to give people money so they can send their kids to private schools, go for it. But there's no f'ing way I want to entrust a government organization with any more decisions as to how to distribute my money.

I tell them they can go to public school for free with the other 90% of the country. And they can teach their kids Catholicism at home if they want. Or if they're so hot to send their kids to Catholic school they can get another job to pay for it.

All Americans have the right to a free public education. Anything else is your responsibility not mine or anybody else's.

One doesn't care about their kids education and as a result doesn't deserve to be given money and entrusted with that kind of decision

The other does care about thier kids education and money doesn't matter to them because that kid is going to be just fine.

If you want to give people money so they can send their kids to private schools, go for it. But there's no f'ing way I want to entrust a government organization with any more decisions as to how to distribute my money.

839242[/snapback]

Furthermore, most if not all, Catholic and religious-affiliated parochial schools have work-study type programs for those unable to afford to pay the cost of tuition. Most of these programs are need based and are in the form of lower tution (grant).

The students take after school type jobs at the school, "working" for a couple of hours. In return, they receive lower or fully paid tuition. Noone, to my knowledge, is denied a catholic school education due solely to financial means.

Yet by funding public schools who teach Evolution and Evolution only and dont give the students the chance to even wonder IF there is a GOD, is not restricting their freedom? I think evolution should be grouped in as a religion as most people fight for it in that way. If you dont want to fund other religions ... fine. But dont fund any school that ONLY teaches evolution than either.

839165[/snapback]

I was wondering why the "creationist alert" alarm was going off on my drive home. Evolution is science. Science is taught in school. Creationism is religion. Religion is taught somewhere other than school, unless that school is private. Seems pretty damn simple to me.

839242[/snapback]

Me, Me, Me, Me, Me ... why? Why is everyone so self-centered?

839242[/snapback]

Amen to that :w00t:

I was wondering why the "creationist alert" alarm was going off on my drive home.  Evolution is science.  Science is taught in school.  Creationism is religion.  Religion is taught somewhere other than school, unless that school is private.  Seems pretty damn simple to me.

839308[/snapback]

Evolution is a theory of experimental science. Creationism if the extraction of metaphysical principles from a branch called Ontology then to Natural Theology. Some forms of creationism comes from fundamental Protestantism, but it is not convertible with fundies as it is as old as the ancient Greek philosophers. Funny thing is creationism is far more easily demonstrative than evolution as it rests with the principles of thought, not lacking missing links.

Religion is taught in every school. Religion by definition, and here I take the perennial definition of religion, is any thought or belief which affects the way in which society should be governed. The question is what is their belief in religion: secular, Protestant, Catholic, amorphous blend of several, etc..