Is it just me, or is there no spirit on this team

BoondckCL

True -- but leadership works in different ways for different people. Some QBs can just give a WR a certain look -- and that goes even further than hollering. Also, when a receiver drops a pass  -- if he really cares --  he's probably so mad at himself already that yelling at him is more like throwing salt on the wound than motivating him. One's leadership style is uniquely tied to one's own personality. Kelly had a fiery personality, so the yelling translated well for him. That may or may not work for Losman. Just because that style of leadership doesn't work for JP doesn't mean that he can't be a leader.

827104[/snapback]

You "lead" by example.When you play poorly how can you be expexted to get in someones face for dropping a pass, or missing a block?If the players had faith in Jp then they would allow him to critque their play,but he must first prove that he can play,which obviously isnt the case.

How can the Bills show any spirit when the fans are so non-fanatic? Buffalo fans have become uncommitted, quiet, complacent and more interested in beer than watching the game. the same ticket holders in my section (135) come in late, leave early and are up and down the aisle so much, their "time of possession" of their seat is non existent.

Yesterday, the Packer fans stayed in their seats until the end. Where were the Bills fans? tailgating? going home to primp for the sabres game? Blah blah blah. Some screamed when the offense was on the field, some did not scream at all and some were comatose.

OK, we're not as good a team as in the past. Does a parent ignore their child when the child makes a mistake? Perhaps, some do.

In this time of war, you would think that some would not consistently arrive after the Star Spangled Banner. They probably don't vote either.

Anyway, I had to vent somewhere. Sorry if I offend true Bills fans.

In it for the big paycheck. Anthony Hargrove #93 was the only one fired up.

827475[/snapback]

That is pretty sad when the only person on the team that is fired up is someone who just got off the plane here under 2 weeks ago.

Applause, applause!

That's one of the weakest things about JP. He acts like he isn't the leader of this team. The QB position is the bully pulpit and the QB is given that respect because of his position. The thing about Losman is he's acting more like Joe Ferguson than Jim Kelly. And his receivers and backs are acting more like some of the loons on this board than professional athletes. By that I mean their talent isn't impressive, and they seem to think about themselves way too much.

826497[/snapback]

And that right there is what worries me the most about Losman. As an outsider looking in, he just doesn't fully have the respect of the team. And regardless of how true the reports are, this was a big problem for him at Tulane. Unfortunately, there aren't any real leaders on offense right now.

And winning will solve some things. However, I believe teammates love guys like Brady and Farve (except yesterday :lol: ) and it inspires them to make plays and give it their all.

As for the getting in the face of wrs, I strongly disagree with that. This is the NFL and you don't show up players (ala TO). Instead, Losman should go up to them and encourage them & tell him that the wr owes him one. don't forget that Kelly calling out Ballard started the bickering Bills. And Marino used to yell at his players all the time and we all know how that turned out. :blink:

The Bills just are enjoyable to watch each week. Every week we had something to smile about before 1999, but now we don't have anything to be happy about because were are so inconsistent. One week we have a good game and were all happy about something, but before you know it, the team find a way to lose. Horribly. This team in my eyes is lossing support each year, rapidly. The team isn't fun to watch anymore.

I seem to, now anyway, get more out of watching a game on FOX, than I do watching the Bills every week. Will this team ever be the team it once was? I think that might be out of the question. At least until Brady retires.

The Bills just are enjoyable to watch each week.  Every week we had something to smile about before 1999, but now we don't have anything to be happy about because were are so inconsistent.  One week we have a good game and were all happy about something, but before you know it, the team find a way to lose. Horribly.  This team in my eyes is lossing support each year, rapidly.  The team isn't fun to watch anymore.

I seem to, now anyway, get more out of watching a game on FOX, than I do watching the Bills every week.  Will this team ever be the team it once was?  I think that might be out of the question.  At least until Brady retires.

827865[/snapback]

This is the NFL bro ... a team could go 0-16 for 10 straight years and not sell out 1 time and then start out 2-0 in the 11th season and the stadium will be sold out and the fans will be back strong. Thats how it is. The team isnt losing "support" ... just ticket buyers. If they start out 2-0 next year, the sales will be right back up.

This is the NFL bro ... a team could go 0-16 for 10 straight years and not sell out 1 time and then start out 2-0 in the 11th season and the stadium will be sold out and the fans will be back strong. Thats how it is. The team isnt losing "support" ... just ticket buyers. If they start out 2-0 next year, the sales will be right back up.

827875[/snapback]

And that is why money is the reason that there is no loyalty in today's NFL.

We've got spirit yes we do, we got spirit how bout you?

827887[/snapback]

God dammit, i only know people based on what is in their avatar or what was in there when i first joined, right? So you did that and i thought of a cheerleader, then i thought of George Bush dressed as a cheerleader. This sucks.

True -- but leadership works in different ways for different people. Some QBs can just give a WR a certain look -- and that goes even further than hollering. Also, when a receiver drops a pass  -- if he really cares --  he's probably so mad at himself already that yelling at him is more like throwing salt on the wound than motivating him. One's leadership style is uniquely tied to one's own personality. Kelly had a fiery personality, so the yelling translated well for him. That may or may not work for Losman. Just because that style of leadership doesn't work for JP doesn't mean that he can't be a leader.

827104[/snapback]

I think you are right on target pointing out that different people are inspired to better action by different styles of leadership and one of the big sources of error on YSW IMHO is that since folks want to or are forced to (by the possibility that the Boss may notice them spending a bunch of time ob TSW at work) try to give one answer as the cause of all problems or one key change as the THE solution.

Sorry Virginia, but the real world (and even the fake world of the NFL) is determined by a lot more than one simple answer and a winning team needs a lot more than one leadership style or one player to act as a leader.

One of the keys to the Bills great teams of the early 90s was that there were a number of recognized leaders on the TEAM and they employed and used different leafership styles to inspire (or force) better play from their teammates.

There were vocal yellers like Kelly who did a lot of good, but likewise, as his antics were a major part of the Bills at first being labeled "The Bickering Bills" as he did dirty laundry in public (and sometimes unfairly as when he publicly attacked Howard the House Ballard).

Yet, there were other recognized leaders of particular units or the whole team generally. who STFU publicly but led by solid example like Kent Hull, folks who were in your face but always were supportive vocal rooters like Darryl Talley and individual upstarts like Bruce Smith who did not draw a lot of public respect for his attitude, but always showed up to play and produced so his fellow players gave him little greif for marching to his own drummer.

I think a major failing of this Bills team is that it has not yet found away to establish a set of leaders and the team has not fallen into a mold of particular players finding and being drawn to the particular leaders whom they respond to best, and particular players stepping up within each unit to be the internal motivator, teacher and oftern disciplanarian that a good TEAM needs.

As far as JP, he obviously is a talented athlete, but he has not yet produced ebnough on the field to really get into anyone's face all that much. True a good leader is one who recognizes his own faults and shows a good example by diligently working to get better at them, but JP simply cannot take this necessary step because otherwise he would be apologizing all the time as too much happens that is simply his fault or he has a major role in the problem.

JP would simply be helped a lot by pulling off a couple of wins due to his actions, and he has shown the talent to do this, however, he did this in the past at Tulane by running for his life and improvising and being creative. NFL players are simply too big, too fast and too good to survive for long if one is running for your life.

However he shows many of the signs of a rookie QB learning the pro game for the first time as he no lomger os allowed to improvise as soon as he sense danger and is standing in to make the reads. What he has to learn from what I see is the elementa l task fo not focusing solely on one player and instead running through his progression quickly and making the throw or simply throwing it away.

Until he masters this activity, I do not see him credibly getting tinto anyone's face.