Interesting - from Chris Brown's blog

Reed83HOF

This was on CB's Blog on the bills website...

J.P. QUESTION: I recently got a question from a fan in my askchris email box that I thought I'd post here on my blog, since I've been asked this quite a few times. Here's the question and my answer. Hope this helps to shed some light on things.

Hi Chris,

Do you think the coaching staff is suffocating JP in the pocket that seems to keep collapsing?Lets face it its just not his style.Maybe they should look back at college film and see what he is comfortable doing.Not that Im a expert but he has made some great passes on the run.Maybe he is over thinking stay in the pocket stay in the pocket as he gets plowed again and again.Does what comes natural mean anything?Thank you for keeping us informed you must love your job.

Vermont Fan

MY ANSWER

Vermont fan

I actually talked to Steve Fairchild about this very subject this week. He maintains the way to develop J.P. the fastest is to keep him in the pocket and force him to read defenses and only use his running ability as a last resort. I agree allowing a running QB to use his legs prematurely on a play stunts their growth in reading defenses because they don't hang in there long enough to watch things unfold.

I think that's why he is a slow reader right now, because his college coaches let him run around all over the place. As a result he saw less plays from the pocket and now is less experienced than players like Phillip Rivers who are forced to read defenses because they don't have the same mobility. Michael Vick only now is starting to read defenses effectively and he's in his fifth season.

I think Fairchild is committed to developing Losman's ability to read defenses knowing he's going to take his lumps. But I think he feels if J.P. is going to be successful at this level that he has to go through this process to understand and read defenses properly. If he doesn't he'll never get better and never be a consistent or effective QB.

LOSMAN RUNNING TODAY: Despite all this staying in the pocket talk. Today might be a day where he takes off to run a bit more. The reason why is the Packers play a lot of man-to-man defense, which typically offers a few more running lanes to quarterbacks. A month ago Donovan McNabb ran five times for 47 yards and two touchdowns against Green Bay. You might see J.P. take off a bit more today.

---

Comments?

I agree with that coaching strategy to an extent. The better "running qb's" learn how to develop as a pocket passer. This isn't to say Losman shouldn't run when the opportunity presents itself, but rather that a qb should always be looking to make plays in the passing game first. If/When Losman learns how to read defenses faster, he won't be restricted and he'll be allowed to be a mobile qb rather then a pocket passer. I'm not gonna compare losman to this example, but I'd rather Losman be more Steve Young and less Mike Vick.

That's good to hear. I've actually suspected that this is what the coaches are telling him to do. There have been too many times when it looked like he could and should run it, but he hasn't. I was wondering if he was told not to.

I think it's a decent strategy. To a point.

I agree with that coaching strategy to an extent.  The better "running qb's" learn how to develop as a pocket passer. This isn't to say Losman shouldn't run when the opportunity presents itself, but rather that a qb should always be looking to make plays in the passing game first.  If/When Losman learns how to read defenses faster, he won't be restricted and he'll be allowed to be a mobile qb rather then a pocket passer.  I'm not gonna compare losman to this example, but I'd rather Losman be more Steve Young and less Mike Vick.

824970[/snapback]

I'm with you. Young only got to and won that SB when he stopped running.

A running QB would definitely succeed here in Buffalo, especially when it starts to get real cold but history has shown us that only pocket passes actually get to play in the big game.

Actually, I think its a good thing. If we all know this is a non-playoff year, why not do everything possible to develop your players for the future? Same thing with the O-line. The moves today were risky and looked pretty bad at times, but for the future of the team it was great.

I think it's apparent JP is in for the season no matter what. The coaches are definitely seeing something that alot of fans aren't. I just hope it pans out and doesn't backfire on the team.