Kerry's Gaff Won't Matter Nov 7

Tim Russert was just on Hardball reporting that the gap between people who think the Southern Party--the GOP--and Democrats is 15 points. 52% Dem 37% Southern Party.

That's the largest its ever been according to him. It was only 6 points in 1994! We are seeing a rejection of the Deep South in this election.

And why didn't the GOP try to pass an amendment banning abortion?

Tim Russert was just on Hardball reporting that the gap between people who think the Southern Party--the GOP--and Democrats is 15 points. 52% Dem 37% Southern Party.

That's the largest its ever been according to him. It was only 6 points in 1994! We are seeing a rejection of the Deep South in this election.

822601[/snapback]

Nationwide polls don't mean squat, though. The guy that hates Bush in NY isn't voting in the Allen/Webb dust-up in VA. Yes, across the country people are rejecting Bush on a Nixonian scale, but we won't know how that will affect the individual races until they're tallied up on Tuesday. Remain cautiously optimistic, but don't be the least bit shocked if we end up with the status quo. Much like the NE Pats, until the Dems beat the GOP there's no reason to pop open the champagne six days early.

Nationwide polls don't mean squat, though.  The guy that hates Bush in NY isn't voting in the Allen/Webb dust-up in VA.  Yes, across the country people are rejecting Bush on a Nixonian scale, but we won't know how that will affect the individual races until they're tallied up on Tuesday.  Remain cautiously optimistic, but don't be the least bit shocked if we end up with the status quo.  Much like the NE Pats, until the Dems beat the GOP there's no reason to pop open the champagne six days early.

822607[/snapback]

Way I look at it, Dems can't lose. They win they win, if they somehow lose and the GOP is still in power that's fine leading up to 2008. The Republicans have proved they cannot govern in any competent manner. What are they gonna do? Cut more taxes? 2008 will be a slaughter if Dems lose on Tuesday. Would probably be a good thing for Dems, actually

In a large way it is. In a small, yet important way it isn't. The South dominates the GOP.

822615[/snapback]

The South dominating the GOP is a pretty clear cut indication that the Civil War isn't quite over. As everyone knows, the GOP was always heavily influenced by the southern states. They used to love Lincoln and that's why he was nominated.

:P:P:lol:

The South dominating the GOP is a pretty clear cut indication that the Civil War isn't quite over.  As everyone knows, the GOP was always heavily influenced by the southern states.  They used to love Lincoln and that's why he was nominated.

:P  :P  :P

822695[/snapback]

:angry:

822601[/snapback]

The pollsters did a great job of predicting a solid victory for Kerry in the presidential election too!

Way I look at it, Dems can't lose. They win they win, if they somehow lose and the GOP is still in power that's fine leading up to 2008. The Republicans have proved they cannot govern in any competent manner. What are they gonna do? Cut more taxes? 2008 will be a slaughter if Dems lose on Tuesday. Would probably be a good thing for Dems, actually

822618[/snapback]

It is really sad when you have to convince yourself that all your losses are actually victories. How will you spin the loss in the presidential election? "This will set us up for 2012!"

The pollsters did a great job of predicting a solid victory for Kerry in the presidential election too!

822865[/snapback]

Depends on what polls you're looking at. If you are talking exclusively about exit polling, then yeah, they sucked in 04.

The pollsters and news orgs blew up the previous exit polling infrastructure in place after the 2000 election. They then put in place a new one for 2004, which was not very well designed and had lots of issues. They are attempting to revert back to the original way it worked with some changes in place.

Exit polling isn't a great science, and a lot of the problem involves the people doing the actual polling. They're given barely, if any, training and tend to influence the outcome of the polls to a pretty large amount.

Of course, I also think it should be illegal to report exit polls on air until the election is over.

The South dominating the GOP is a pretty clear cut indication that the Civil War isn't quite over.  As everyone knows, the GOP was always heavily influenced by the southern states.  They used to love Lincoln and that's why he was nominated.

:angry:  :P  :P

822695[/snapback]

:P

Well there still is a divide but the nomenclature has changed.

The Dems began loosing the South with Lyndon Johnson's Civil Rights initiatives, and

really let go with Jimmy Carter.

The Democrats that were lost in the South with Civil Rights/Carter are gradually being replaced with immigrants.

:angry:

823069[/snapback]

Fox News just screwed up their US political party history a few minutes ago as well. They were talking about Thomas Jefferson for some reason (I had the TV on mute) and the bottom of the screen read that TJ had founded the Democratic party in 1792. Then it read that the party was originally called the Democratic-Republicans.

Actually the party was originally called the Republicans and was called that when he was elected President in 1800. Jefferson's speech, to bring the nation back together after a bitter election, began "We are all Republicans, We are all Federalists....." That was the first real transfer of power in US history, and back then people weren't sure there would be a peaceful transfer of power in democracies so it was important to get that right.

This really has nothing to do with anything, I just like to throw these fun facts out there for everyone. You can use them to impress women! (Not really.)

I nominate holcombs arm to be incharge of exit polling.

That way we'll get a fair, unbiased analysis of the results.

WOW...that last sentence took almost 10 minutes to type as i was laughing hysterically.

WOW...that last sentence took almost 10 minutes to type as i was laughing hysterically.

823172[/snapback]

I'm frantically trying to get in touch with RCow to see if he can help.

823172[/snapback]

Why? I'm sure it'll be fair and unbiased.

It'll be completely !@#$ing wrong. But it'll be fair and unbiased.

:w00t:

The Dems began loosing the South with Lyndon Johnson's Civil Rights initiatives, and

really let go with Jimmy Carter.

The Democrats that were lost in the South with Civil Rights/Carter are gradually being replaced with immigrants.

823069[/snapback]

Dems began losing the South even before that, back in the 1930's with the New Deal TRYING to help blacks, and when Truman desegregated the military it accelerated, but Lydon Johnson really made the South GOP with the Civil Rights acts and all that.