Time To Bring Back Drew Bledsoe In 2007!

The Bills should do both….Draft a QB in the first round (again) and sign Bledsoe to a 2 year deal to start while the rookie learns the ropes

867554[/snapback]

Thanks for stopping by, Drew. Best wishes on your impending retirement.

I am in the process of negotiating contracts with Willie Totten, Gary Marangi and Dan Darragh, so we can have a robust quarterback competition in 2007.

:thumbdown:

No Vince Ferragamo? Richie Lucas? :thumbsup:

Anthony Munoz, Joe D,Dan Dierdorf,Kent Hull and Billy Shaw......all in their prime--would be necessary.

822458[/snapback]

But seriously folks, while this thread is amusing and I would completely oppose the re-signing of Bledsoe, because like all other QBs (such as our fave Jimbo when he was carted off the field against Jax with a concussed addled look on his face) he got old and his time has passed.

Even more to the point for our Bills, they should never resign Bledsoe to be anything other than a QB coach because we already appear to have the real deal at QB in a young, learning, and better performing as he gets more PT JP Losman.

However, the arguments that seem to imply that Bledsoe was never a very good QB in his history of NFL play are simply wrong.

Under Parcells as a youngster, Bledsoe played QB and actually led NE to an SB berth. His team lost the big game, but as we saw with Dan Marino, winning the SB cannot be the sole disqualifying factor for whether one declares a QB very good or not. Bledsoe never led a team to an SB victory. However, neither did Kelly or Marino and all three were undeniably (at least rationally) very good and even in some arguable measures great QBs.

In fact, this thread does trot out the NE SB winning season of 2001 and attempts to claim that based on the results of that year with NE going 0 for everything until Bledsoe got his lung collapsed and the NE team became a TEAM picking up for the young Tom Brady.

However, the facts of this case simply are that Bledsoe QB'ed this team successfully (behind the same OL as Brady) in the majority of a must-win in the AFC championship and even threw the winning TD in that game.

The fact simply is that it is very quite very doubtful that NE would have won the SB that year without Bledsoe filling in at a key moment for the injured Brady. It clearly IMHO is the case that NE did the right thing by cutting Bledsoe and sticking with the young Brady as the QB who led them to at least two more SB wins (though NE payed a big price for this as they did not even make the playoffs in the 2002 season as they were unable to reload with FAs as they did in 2001 due to the accelerated cap hit from cutting Bledsoe). However, it also clearly seems to be the case to me that Bledsoe deserved his SB ring in 2001 as the QB for most of a must-win game.

As far as the Bills decisions regarding Bledsoe, I agree with TDs decision to trade a first to acquire Bledsoe for the 2002 season. He inherited a team which had made some horrendous QB decisions going back to their failure to draft a replacement for Kelly a year earlier than they did as they made the now clearly incorrect judgment that Kelly would last longer than he did (a decision where Ralph had to pay Kelly a million bucks walking away money because of a handshake promise).

The debacle of the Butler throwing a big bonus to RJ who it turned out was too injury prone to deserve it and then it linked to the cap hit from Flutie hitting all his incentives and the total being rolled into his base contract left the Bills coming offa 3-13 season with Chris Chandler and Rodney Peete as our two best options for FA QBs as AJP was clearly a great back-up QB but not starter quality.

It is truly ironic that ultimately the handling of Bledsoe was so disappointing, but his emergence here as seen in the uptick in season ticket sales around the welcome Drew day really indicates he for a season or so saved the team economically (again clearly through his rep since he did not produce a playoff on the field).

I think the bottomline is the question should the Bills resign Bledsoe? NO. NADA, FUGGABOUTIT he strikes me as too old.

However, this is different from the question as to whether in total and in the future in retrospect whether he is a bad, average, or very good QB. I think based on the record of his having a number of outstanding statistical seasons, his pulling off the trick of being good enough to hang around for a long time he has amassed some glossy accomplishments, that he has resurrected his career which was thrown on the ashheap several times to QB winning teams, AND his record of leading the Pats early on to an unsuccessful trip to the SB and playing an essential role in a must-win game in an SB winning year. Bledsoe almost certainly makes and deserves a HOF berth. In fact since HOF membership is really a popularity contest within the committee, as long as he does not retire the same year as an even more accomplished QB like Brett Favre, he probably makes (and deserves IMHO) an HOF berth on his first ballot.

It will be interesting to see if there are any evidence based opposing viewpoints or all folks can muster if they choose to waste their time trying are simple braying fact-free opinions that he is stinker.

My guess is that he makes it to and deserves an HOF nod.