I need to "quit" this team

SoCal Pat

Man, this is discouraging.

Right now, the Bills are like that grown-up irresponsible adult child who still does drugs, lounges around the house, freeloads off his parents and whose existence is merely a plan to waste oxygen. In short, he has the self-motivational skills of a leech. Yet I can't take away his key, force him to pay rent or pull his share. But I still love him, so I'm stuck. I love the Bills, and I'm stuck.

I've had Sunday Ticket for four years now. It's supposed to be enjoyable. And the Bills have been a part of my life every Sunday in the fall since I was 7 -- going all the way back to 1977. And if the season progresses as it has through seven games, it'll be tough to even bother with it again next year. I'm tired of having my loyalty stomped to bits on a near-weekly basis.

Never have the days of Jimbo, Bruce, Thurman, Andre, et. al., seemed so far away. And I just don't see it getting any better. J.P. Losman, for all his physical gifts, just doesn't seem to be able to get it done. It's a constant battle of taking one step forward and three steps back.

I'm not interested in taking on another team -- homey don't play that -- although I'm close to taking on a defacto No. 2 team in San Francisco, if only because Alex Smith and I went to the same school. But as this team continues to lose, and lose, and lose some more, I find the detatchment that's growing between myself and the Bills something I'm not getting all too upset about. Yet as I post this, I ask myself, "Why am I allowing this goddamn team to upset me as much as it is?"

Obviously, I still care. Sometimes, I wish I didn't.

I feel your pain. It's tough. Every year is just another series of let downs. Here we are again, still October, and our season is effectively over. Even if we run off the next 5 games and win em all... will we make the playoffs - no. The season is over. The QB sucks, the line sucks, the defense sucks, the coaches can't inspire a group from overeaters anonymous to eat a cupcake, the whole thing sucks. And now what, I have to see which team is out there that I may wish to see in the Super Bowl, while deal with all my friends wanting to know what's up with the Bills every week. It just sucks. I really didn't think we'd have a great, playoff type year. But, it woulda been nice to actually look like a professional football team. We don't even get that. All we get is one pathetic outing after another. Man does it suck being a Bills fan.

With all that said. I'll watch every miserable play, somewhere deep inside, wishing, hoping for a glimmer. Living in my own private misery as everyone around me moves on with their winning teams and I draw further into my private dillusions that the Bills will someday turn it around. And that day they do, I'll have the singular joy of knowing I always believed.