Do people still use snow tires?

Arkady Renko

That's BS. I have a sports coupe and the thing does just fine. People who need snow tires should save their money and enroll in some driving classes.

811902[/snapback]

Really, because driving classes teach you how to have grip on the road?

I don't know about you but to spend 100$ more to get some decent winter tires isn't the end of the world.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, because driving classes teach you how to have grip on the road? 

I don't know about you but to spend 100$ more to get some decent winter tires isn't the end of the world.

811906[/snapback]

I don't think it is the end of the world; i think it is a waste of money.

The thing with taking driving lessons is that they may not be able to teach you how to have grip on the road, but they will be able to show you how to control your vehicle in any situation. Including winter scenarios.

I don't think it is the end of the world; i think it is a waste of money.

The thing with taking driving lessons is that they may not be able to teach you how to have grip on the road, but they will be able to show you how to control your vehicle in any situation. Including winter scenarios.

811907[/snapback]

I've been driving for 10 years in a climate that has a sh-- load of snow and plenty of black ice. Trust me, you may have the best winter tires ever but driving slowly and carefully is the best method, but they help big time. Of course it depends what vehicule you drive as well but I see the difference, and I'm driving with all seasons at the moment since I'm broke but I definately will be investing in good winter tires for next winter.

That's BS. I have a sports coupe and the thing does just fine. People who need snow tires should save their money and enroll in some driving classes.

811902[/snapback]

Maybe you should save your money and enroll in a physics class. Pay particular attention to the part about friction. I would love to see you drive a Mustang in winter around here!

If you're driving a 4 banger or sports type car you gotta have snows in upstate NY to be safe.

811899[/snapback]

I had a Toyota MR2 that I drove for several years in the winter (only car) and used all-seasons. The "trick", other than it was an almost perfect weight balance between the front/rear, was going out to a nice big empty parking lot after the first snowfall, and practicing slides, skids, etc.

I had a Toyota MR2 that I drove for several years in the winter (only car) and used all-seasons. The "trick", other than it was an almost perfect weight balance between the front/rear, was going out to a nice big empty parking lot after the first snowfall, and practicing slides, skids, etc.

811979[/snapback]

My cousin has an MR2 like that. He put a MR2 Supercharger in there. If you want I'll get you pictures. He treats that thing like it's his first born.

My cousin has an MR2 like that. He put a MR2 Supercharger in there.  If you want I'll get you pictures.  He treats that thing like it's his first born.

811982[/snapback]

Nah, I've seen enough pictures of 2's. I've had 4 of the first generation, the last being a Supercharged. Driven a Mark II, but it feels like you're sitting in a bathtub while driving. My next will be a Spyder if I ever get one again.

You can actually tell the one I linked to is a Supercharged by the rims and the t-tops.

I drive an AWD Subaru WRX wagon and I always have snows on them as soon as it starts snowing. All you tough guys can keep riding your all seasons until a real storm hits and you're car is about as useful in snow as a fish out of water.

On Christmas day in 2002, my wife and I were travelling back to Rochester from NJ when the biggest snowstorm to hit Scranton, PA hit. There were so many cars stranded on the side of the highway it honestly looked like a parking lot. My wife used to drive a FWD Accord, but because we had snow tires, we were able to keep plowing forward along with the only 2 other vehicles that could keep moving (Nissan Xterra and Grand Cherokee...those owners were also smart enough to have snows on their SUVs). We finally pulled off the highway because they put roadblocks on it to stop people from going any further.

The Holiday Inn we stayed at was up on a huge incline. I saw an Audi A4 try to make it up and slide backwards down the hill. My wife wasn't willing to try it and just wanted to make the hike on foot, but I took the car up slowly and we made it without any problems. Keep in mind, this is a FWD Honda Accord. On a 4WD or AWD vehicle, having snow tires practically makes your vehicle a tank. In regular conditions driving slowly with All Seasons will be fine, but when the stevestojan hits the fan, you'll wish you'd spent the money.

For those interested in purchasing them, my wife was running Bridgestone Blizzaks. They're not too expensive and obviously worked great for her. I run a set of Nokian WR's...might pick up a set of Nokian Hakka's this year.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/

They know their winter tires.

/no, i'm not a tire salesman

I drive an AWD Subaru WRX wagon and I always have snows on them as soon as it starts snowing. All you tough guys can keep riding your all seasons until a real storm hits and you're car is about as useful in snow as a fish out of water.

On Christmas day in 2002, my wife and I were travelling back to Rochester from NJ when the biggest snowstorm to hit Scranton, PA hit. There were so many cars stranded on the side of the highway it honestly looked like a parking lot. My wife used to drive a FWD Accord, but because we had snow tires, we were able to keep plowing forward along with the only 2 other vehicles that could keep moving (Nissan Xterra and Grand Cherokee...those owners were also smart enough to have snows on their SUVs). We finally pulled off the highway because they put roadblocks on it to stop people from going any further.

The Holiday Inn we stayed at was up on a huge incline. I saw an Audi A4 try to make it up and slide backwards down the hill. My wife wasn't willing to try it and just wanted to make the hike on foot, but I took the car up slowly and we made it without any problems. Keep in mind, this is a FWD Honda Accord. On a 4WD or AWD vehicle, having snow tires practically makes your vehicle a tank. In regular conditions driving slowly with All Seasons will be fine, but when the stevestojan hits the fan, you'll wish you'd spent the money.

For those interested in purchasing them, my wife was running Bridgestone Blizzaks. They're not too expensive and obviously worked great for her. I run a set of Nokian WR's...might pick up a set of Nokian Hakka's this year.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/

They know their winter tires.

/no, i'm not a tire salesman

812013[/snapback]

Haks are the best. I run studded Haks on my Silverado. It's pretty much a tank. I get a huge kick out of the "know it alls" who think all-seasons and their remarkable driving ability are good enough. I pull a bunch of them out every year.

Haks are the best.  I run studded Haks on my Silverado.  It's pretty much a tank.  I get a huge kick out of the "know it alls" who think all-seasons and their remarkable driving ability are good enough.  I pull a bunch of them out every year.

812033[/snapback]

Yeah, those brutal winters in Alaska, can play havack on tires.

Haks are the best.  I run studded Haks on my Silverado.  It's pretty much a tank.  I get a huge kick out of the "know it alls" who think all-seasons and their remarkable driving ability are good enough.  I pull a bunch of them out every year.

812033[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm a know it all just because I think all seasons are fine. Nice generalization. :blink:

Never been in a ditch, never been close. Common sense goes just as far as snow tires.

Yeah, I'm a know it all just because I think all seasons are fine. Nice generalization.  :blink:

Never been in a ditch, never been close. Common sense goes just as far as snow tires.

812046[/snapback]

Same here, living in the lake effect belt, and driving through it, 40 miles each way commuting for seven years, while passing plenty of pickups and SUV's that think just because the commercials show them blasting through snowbanks that nothing's going to stop them. It's all about knowing what your vehicle and tires can do in the snow, so you know when to slow down.

Yeah, I'm a know it all just because I think all seasons are fine. Nice generalization.  :blink:

Way to be defensive. ;)

812046[/snapback]

Has little to do with individual common sense. That'd work if you were the only guy on the road (which would be pretty sweet). I'm able to maneuver almost as if I'm on dry pavement, which has come in handy a number of times, when some of your "all-season warrior" brethren overdrive the limits of their vehicles.

Six months a year on daily snow and ice. First set lasted 7 years. Worth every penny of the $600 I spent on the set.

Same here, living in the lake effect belt, and driving through it, 40 miles each way commuting for seven years, while passing plenty of pickups and SUV's that think just because the commercials show them blasting through snowbanks that nothing's going to stop them. It's all about knowing what your vehicle and tires can do in the snow, so you know when to slow down.

812051[/snapback]

I think the problem lies with 4 wheel drive. For whatever reason, this gives people some serious false confidence. 4WD is great for taking off and stability, but it ain't gonna help you stop. Compound that with the fact that most 4WD vehicles are really heavy...

I think the problem lies with 4 wheel drive.  For whatever reason, this gives people some serious false confidence.  4WD is great for taking off and stability, but it ain't gonna help you stop.  Compound that with the fact that most 4WD vehicles are really heavy...

812055[/snapback]

I agree. Last winter, these clowns were going crazy in huge snow banks with their GMC SUV's. THey got stuck and my friend with his 1982 GMC Gimmy which is probably one of the biggest trucks I've ever seen had to pull them out.