How opinions differ in the NFL when you win and

ganesh

Hortons QB rating

Here is a guy rating the QBs in week 6.

Quote on J.P. Losman who was ranked 26th:

He can show flashes of brilliance but he can also show inconsistency. He threw for two TDs in a loss to Detroit, but he also threw an interception and was sacked five times. He's committed five costly turnovers in the Bills' five games.

and then the Quote on Eli Manning who was ranked 10th

Tiki Barber had a huge game running the ball at Atlanta and it took the pressure off Manning, who had a solid day (180 yards with two INTs and two TDs) and made some clutch throws.

Almost similar stats, but one was a win and another was a loss.

Hortons QB rating

Here is a guy rating the QBs in week 6.

Quote on J.P. Losman who was ranked 26th:

He can show flashes of brilliance but he can also show inconsistency. He threw for two TDs in a loss to Detroit, but he also threw an interception and was sacked five times. He's committed five costly turnovers in the Bills' five games. 

and then the Quote on Eli Manning who was ranked 10th

Tiki Barber had a huge game running the ball at Atlanta and it took the pressure off Manning, who had a solid day (180 yards with two INTs and two TDs) and made some clutch throws.

Almost similar stats, but one was a win and another was a loss.

810309[/snapback]

The difference is one QB is expected to make up for the deficiencies of the entire team and when he doesn't he's considered a bad QB. The other QB has a solid supporting cast that can overcome his mistakes so he's (obviously) a better QB. :lol:

I see the same things out of Manning that I see out of JP, he has some great moments where you just shake your head in amazement, but he's also inconsistent throwing the ball and makes a few really bad decisions a game.

I think Eli is vastly overrated myself. His accuracy sucks, his consistency sucks, and I think he'd look even more lost than he does already at times without Burress. And yes, the name "Manning" helps the perception of him too. But even I have to admit he has a knack of executing clutch drives in the 4th Qtr, which JP hasn't shown yet. I think that the discrepancy in supporting casts is overestimated by this board, as the Giants OL is nothing special, nor is the depth in their WR core; they just have that extra weapon at TE.

I think that the discrepancy in supporting casts is overestimated by this board, as the Giants OL is nothing special, nor is the depth in their WR core; they just have that extra weapon at TE.

810809[/snapback]

You're forgetting the D when you speak of "supporting casts". Their D enables Manning to make mistakes that don't end up costing them the game. The Bills D doesn't allow Losman to make any mistakes if they hope to win. The Giants D isn't great but it's much better than the Bills.

You're forgetting the D when you speak of "supporting casts".  Their D enables Manning to make mistakes that don't end up costing them the game.  The Bills D doesn't allow Losman to make any mistakes if they hope to win.  The Giants D isn't great but it's much better than the Bills.

810880[/snapback]

Exactly...especially their front 7.....

Unless you're watching every game, QBs are going to get rated on stats and wins, and nobody's going to care about how sh-- your LG is and how much your special teams put you in a position to win. Manning has arguably the best RB in the league in Barber, arguably the best TE (probably more like top 5), a solid offensive line, two reliable wideouts, and a superb defense. And he STILL just barely makes it work.

Stats don't tell the entire story. Having watched the Bills game, Losman's INT and fumble killed us (He may have been hit from behind, but that is the 3rd time it has happened and he should take better care of the ball) and some of thos sacks were horrendous, including the one that Lindell bailed him out on at half time.

To those who hate on JP; would if JP had the hype Manning, Leinart or Young had coming out of college. Even with the exact numbers he is putting up this season there wouldn't be as much focus on his play as there would be on the players around him. There would be more talk of how he has progressesd and the strides he is making. I mean Manning his 1st year and Young stats so far look worse then JP did last year. Leinart in 2 games isn't as great as they are hyped up to be. But since JP was considered a reach by some and garbage as by fantasy standards last year he or the Bills will get no respect unless they win or play great. It is just a shame that some Bills fans don't 1) have any patience and 2) not giving the kid credit for playing better. I'd seen a time when fans would over hype their players; especially young talent at QB. I mean to expect a 2nd year QB to play like a Pro Bowler is crazy. But if he has progressed and at least playing average football and historically on par with what most average QB progression is, I don't see why more Bill's fan give the kid a hard time. I mean if the rest of the team was solid we'd be winning now if he had identical play as we have lost close games. If our O-line and running game was just a wee bit better we'd convert that 4th down play against the Pats and game over week one. Against the Jets if our red zone D was better we'd win that game hands down. I can't defend the Lions game for we were lucky just to be able to be in postion to win. SO right there we'd be 4-2 and Jp this or JP that wouldn't be an issue. He'd be put on a pedestial and give unjust credit and over hyped and then I would be pointing out his flaws and improvement he must make to be as great as some would make him out to be!