My favorite albums from the last 10 years

Cugalabanza

I was having this discussion with a couple friends recently and I thought I'd share my tentative list here...

AC Newman - The Slow Wonder

M. Ward - Transistor Radio

Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West

Silver Jews - Starlite Walker (actually from '94, but it's so damn good) and Tanglewood Numbers

Built To Spill - You In Reverse

Spoon - Girls Can Tell

*Special Bonus old bastard selection:

Neil Young - On The Beach (this was out of print for years and just recently got a deluxe cd treatment. I think it's the best Neil record, and that's saying a lot!)

What are you favorite "sleeper" albums that restore your faith in recorded music?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having this discussion with a couple friends recently and I thought I'd share my tentative list here...

AC Newman - The Slow Wonder

M. Ward - Transistor Radio

Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West

Silver Jews - Starlite Walker (actually from '94, but it's so damn good) and Tanglewood Numbers

Spoon - Girls Can Tell

*Special Bonus old bastard selection:

Neil Young - On The Beach (this was out of print for years and just recently got a deluxe cd treatment.  I think it's the best Neil record, and that's saying a lot!)

What are you favorite "sleeper" albums that restore your faith in recorded music?

809925[/snapback]

Oooh, you've got some good picks. I am totally with you on "On the Beach." "For the Turnstiles," "Walk On," "Ambulance Blues"? Awesome.

I'm not crazy about the new Built to Spill record but always loved "Perfect From Now On."

TV on the Radio's new one "Return to Cookie Mountain" is pretty excellent.

Probably all 3 Mazzy Star albums, particularly "So Tonight That I Might See." It's just that voice.

The Books' "The Lemon of Pink" has got to be the most creative electronic music I've heard in a long time. Really lush sounds with live cello, banjo, vocals, and then it's all placed in a blender.

Growing's last two releases are also getting a lot of play with me. Really droney, it sounds great loud. Two/three guitars, making sounds you don't think can be gotten out of guitars. They've been referred to as "life metal" (as opposed to the "death" variety), which is a pretty fair assessment. I get a head rush whenever I listen to them.

My 'oldster' picks:

Brian Eno's first two, "Here Come the Warm Jets" and "Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy," are two great records of the glam/space rock era that foreshadow Sonic Youth, Talking Heads, and about 50 million other artists.

Brand New - Deja Entendu (from 2003, now my favorite album of all-time)

Deftones - White Pony (2000, my previous favorite album of all-time)

Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon (2001, best punk-pop album I own)

Sugarcult - Start Static (2001, punk-pop again)

Something Corporate - North (2003, piano rock that isn't wussy)

Deftones - Around the Fur (1997, probably the best metal album I own, I used to listen to this on the way to Sabres games to get pumped up)

Third Eye Blind - Out of the Vein (2003, their third album and probably their least popular because it arrived six years after their big debut. It's a great record though. They are much better than they get credit for (stop rolling your eyes!))

I don't know how obscure all of these are but this is the best I could come up with on short notice (I know Brand New is obscure since they're yet to have a gold record with either album).

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

809962[/snapback]

I totally agree with you on this one. Conceptual album about a friend of their's who committed suicide, not before being in a coma. The album is about the dreams he endures while he is in a coma, and ultimately ends with his suicide. A truly haunting album with crazy musicianship. Led Zeppelin meets Santana, meets Punk Rock meets conceptualization of Pink Floyd.

I really enjoy The Mars Volta's previous group, At The Drive-In and their last album, Relationship of Command, is produced by Rick Rubin. Rubin really captures the intensity of ATDI, and I was sorely upset that they disbanded.

Another favorite group is Thee Siver Mt. Zion and the Tra-La-La Band. Their album "This Is Our Punk Rock" is one of the most amazing listening experiences I've ever had. They are part of the Godspeed You Black Emperor outfit, who also have some great albums worth listening to.

I also love Muse's album Absolution. It is what Radiohead (whom I also love)would be if they didn't get electronic after their album The Bends.

And my final favorite album, might have to be Pink Floyd's Animals. You never hear anyone talking about this album, but it is their best one IMO. I remember the first time I listened to it, I was tripping on mushrooms in college, and I heard the song Dogs, and fell in love with David Gilmore's guitar.

809925[/snapback]

I'm a big BTS fan. I just saw them in DC at the 9:30 club, great show. I know they played Buffalo either shortly before or after the DC concert. Anyways, you in Reverse wouldn't be my pick of their best album, but you can't really go wrong with any of them.

I like a lot of different music, and don't listen to the radio, so I don't know what bands I like are obscure and which aren't. I do know that Anthony Hamilton has put out a couple of the best soul albums in years, I first saw him on the Chappelle show. Reminds me a lot of Bill Withers.

I was tripping on mushrooms in college...

810127[/snapback]

Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf -- not so obscure. But I like pretty much everything Josh Homme touches (including Brody Dalle of the Distillers, I guess). His Desert Sessions are usually interesting (Vol. 7 and 8 used PJ Harvey IIRC) and the Eagles of Death Metal are good fun.

In the guilty pleasure category, Magneta Lane has restored my faith in girly rock. Dancing With Daggers is probably the opposite of a concept album (unless that concept is repitition) but what the hell...

Sparta, the other half of At the Drive In are sharp as well. Don't know if they are full album sharp.

Brand New - Deja Entendu  (from 2003, now my favorite album of all-time)

Deftones - Around the Fur (1997, probably the best metal album I own, I used to listen to this on the way to Sabres games to get pumped up)

Third Eye Blind - Out of the Vein (2003, their third album and probably their least popular because it arrived six years after their big debut.  It's a great record though.  They are much better than they get credit for (stop rolling your eyes!))

I don't know how obscure all of these are but this is the best I could come up with on short notice (I know Brand New is obscure since they're yet to have a gold record with either album).

809975[/snapback]

great list

I have to add these:

Flogging Molly Drunken Lullabies nothing like Celtic Punk to sing along too, or to jig to. This band is relatively popular, but nevers seems to get the airplay that they deserve.

Sugarcult Palm Trees and Powerlines the punk pop band's follow isa a very complete album from start to end.

Taking Back Sunday Tell All Your Friends another punk pop album from a band that just broke it big. The angst filled album is great to listen while heading up to games, or if you have to confront your boss.

John Mayer Trio Try! This raw jazzyalbum from john mayer and co. was a step back to his roots, instrumental and pure.

Jack's Mannequin Everything In Transit This album is from the leader of the abovementioned Something Corporate. Written while he started having symptoms of cancer, Andrew McMahon poured a lot in the lyrics that cannot be described as anything less than deep and meaningful.

Brand New - Deja Entendu  (from 2003, now my favorite album of all-time)

Third Eye Blind - Out of the Vein (2003, their third album and probably their least popular because it arrived six years after their big debut.  It's a great record though.  They are much better than they get credit for (stop rolling your eyes!))

809975[/snapback]

We have very similar tastes. Thing I would add

Taking Back Sunday - tell all your friends (masterpiece)

My Chemical Romance - any of their CD's

great list

I have to add these:

Flogging Molly Drunken Lullabies nothing like Celtic Punk to sing along too, or to jig to. This band is relatively popular, but nevers seems to get the airplay that they deserve.

Sugarcult  Palm Trees and Powerlines the punk pop band's follow isa a very complete album from start to end.

Taking Back Sunday Tell All Your Friends another punk pop album from a band that just broke it big. The angst filled album is great to listen while heading up to games, or if you have to confront your boss.

John Mayer Trio Try! This raw jazzyalbum from john mayer and co. was a step back to his roots, instrumental and pure.

Jack's Mannequin Everything In Transit This album is from the leader of the abovementioned Something Corporate. Written while he started having symptoms of cancer, Andrew McMahon poured a lot in the lyrics that cannot be described as anything less than deep and meaningful.

810469[/snapback]

TBS is NOT pop-punk ... they are more punk-emo. Especially in Tell All Your Friends.

Man, I remember when emo was Sunny Day Real Estate and Fugazi and not songs about the crush who has the locker next to yours or being mad at your boss. Feeling old.

I liked the At the Drive-In mention. Vaya and Relationship of Command are superb records. Mars Volta are a mess, but they certainly have some talent. I kinda dug Sparta for a couple months but quickly got tired of them. The whole hard rock scene is generally killing me right now.

I'm going to go on a complete limb right now and mention this Chicago band Sweep the Leg Johnny. Ten bonus points if anyone's even heard of them. Sorta like nasty noise-punk meets King Crimson meets Rocket from the Crypt. Just listened to their record "Sto Cazzo!" for the first time in a few years. They were definitely tight and could play capably in some crazy time signatures.

Today I just picked up the new Califone (really excellent), the new Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (haven't yet listened to it) and a couple others.

Man, I remember when emo was Sunny Day Real Estate and Fugazi and not songs about the crush who has the locker next to yours or being mad at your boss.  Feeling old.

I liked the At the Drive-In mention.  Vaya and Relationship of Command are superb records.  Mars Volta are a mess, but they certainly have some talent.  I kinda dug Sparta for a couple months but quickly got tired of them.  The whole hard rock scene is generally killing me right now.

I'm going to go on a complete limb right now and mention this Chicago band Sweep the Leg Johnny.  Ten bonus points if anyone's even heard of them.  Sorta like nasty noise-punk meets King Crimson meets Rocket from the Crypt.  Just listened to their record "Sto Cazzo!" for the first time in a few years.  They were definitely tight and could play capably in some crazy time signatures.

Today I just picked up the new Califone (really excellent), the new Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (haven't yet listened to it) and a couple others.

810815[/snapback]

crush? mad at your boss? that sounds like pop to me ... modern day emo is kinda like this:

Band: Taking Back Sunday

Song: Ghost man on third

Jinx me somethin' crazy

Thinkin' if it's three

then I'm as smooth as the skin

rolls across the small of your back

It's too bad it's not my style

If you need me

I'm out and on the parkway,

patient and waiting for headlights,

dressed in a fashion that's fitting to the

inconsistencies of my moods

It's times like these where silence means everything

And no one is to know about this

It's times like these, where silence means everything

It's a campaign of distraction (distraction)

and revisionist (and revisionist) history, oh

OR

Band: Brand New

Song: Seventy Times Seven

Is that what you call tact?

You're as subtle as a brick in the small of my back

So let's end this call and end this conversation

And is that what you call a getaway?

Tell me what you got away with

'Cause you left the frays from the ties you severed

when you say, "best friends means friends forever"

Is that what you call a getaway?

'cause I've seen more spine on jellyfish

I've seen more guts on eleven-year-old kids

Have another drink and drive yourself home

I hope there's ice on all the roads

and you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt,

and again your head goes through the windshield

(I can't let you let me down again)

Everyone's caught on to everything you do

(and I can't let you let me down again)

Everyone's caught on to...

crush? mad at your boss? that sounds like pop to me ... modern day emo is kinda like this:

Band: Taking Back Sunday

Song: Ghost man on third

Jinx me somethin' crazy

Thinkin' if it's three

then I'm as smooth as the skin

rolls across the small of your back

It's too bad it's not my style

If you need me

I'm out and on the parkway,

patient and waiting for headlights,

dressed in a fashion that's fitting to the

inconsistencies of my moods

It's times like these where silence means everything

It's times like these, where silence means everything

It's a campaign of distraction (distraction)

and revisionist (and revisionist) history, oh

OR

Band: Brand New

Song: Seventy Times Seven

Is that what you call tact?

You're as subtle as a brick in the small of my back

So let's end this call and end this conversation

And is that what you call a getaway?

'Cause you left the frays from the ties you severed

when you say, "best friends means friends forever"

Is that what you call a getaway?

'cause I've seen more spine on jellyfish

I've seen more guts on eleven-year-old kids

Have another drink and drive yourself home

I hope there's ice on all the roads

and you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt,

and again your head goes through the windshield

810827[/snapback]

Taking Back Sunday = Emo = complete losers.

I wish my lawn were emo so it would cut itself.

TBS aint emo...

810842[/snapback]

Yes they are.

From Urban Dictionary:

"Punk music on estrogen. Often acoustic guitar with soft, high male vocals that dwell exessively on the singer's feelings, especially melancholy remembrances of past relationships/mistakes in life. A form of music that diverged from punk in the '80s, the name "emo" is derived from the emotive style of the lyrics and music. This genre has lately been marketed heavily by the music industry to teenagers with bands such as Dashboard Confessional and Taking Back Sunday, and has seen much commercial and mainstream success. The music has also spawned a subculture which conforms to certain conventions in dress such as tight sweatshirts, tight band T-shirts and horn-rim glasses. Adherents profess to exessively melancholy temperments. Males that adhere to the emo subculture are sometimes confused with metrosexuals; indeed the line between the two is somwhat blurred, though both groups claim to be intouch with their emotional side. The ephemeral and hackneyed nature of emo songwriting suggests that its audience will be restricted largely to teenagers. the genre suffers from a lack of credibility outside the aforementioned demographic group, much like current Nu Metal bands.

girlfriend: C'mon, lets have sex.

boyfriend: I'm too sad to have sex.

girlfriend: I'm sad too; lets have sex and cry.

boyfriend: I'm already crying."

Go to Google, type in emo and TBS, and see what happens.

TBS=Emo