Stay Patient, Stay Rational, Stay the Course

Mikie2times

At the start of the year the perception of most our fans was that of a rebuilding year. That was until we played with the Patriots in week 1, beat Miami in week 2, nearly beat the Jets, and then beat Minnesota. Now all of sudden the perceptions of many changed from rebuilding to contending. The problem is this team never changed with it. This was still the same team with the flaws most identified before the season started. It will only be a matter of time before people point fingers at Jauron. Once the blame shifts to him we start this process all over again. This team will only get better with time, and as fans we control the clock. Stay patient. Stay rational. Stay the course.

Or else what?

809581[/snapback]

Same thing that's been happening since Wade Phillips got canned. Most the time a New coach + New system = Rebuilding. The great start altered Jaurons expectation level way past reality for this team. You don't need to be Nostradamus to see people turn on him if this thing doesn't turn around soon.

Most the time a New coach + New system = Rebuilding.

809595[/snapback]

Mike Mullarky didn't seem to think so. Jauron has been around long enough to know that this game against New England is the only thing on the horizon that he need care about. We as fans should commit as fully to the concept of winning as the team does.

Mike Mullarky didn't seem to think so. Jauron has been around long enough to know that this game against New England is the only thing on the horizon that he need care about. We as fans should commit as fully to the concept of winning as the team does.

809611[/snapback]

You expect the head coach of a football team to tell his players or the media that this is a rebuilding year? That you should just expect to lose 10 games and not get upset with it? We can commit to the concept of winning, and stay realistic with what we expect from a head coach. As Bills fans we have the attitude of fire and replace for every aspect of this team. We've been firing and replacing for over a decade in every aspect of the organization. Maybe it's possible that all this change compounds the effects of a bad roster into a decade long playoff drought.

We've been firing and replacing for over a decade in every aspect of the organization. Maybe it's possible that all this change compounds the effects of a bad roster into a decade long playoff drought.

809620[/snapback]

Change what now ? Fire and replace ? You are one hasty bastard to be talkin' "stay the course". I fear I have stumbled into the first Fire Jauron thread by mistake...

Change what now ? Fire and replace ? You are one hasty bastard to be talkin' "stay the course". I fear I have stumbled into the first Fire Jauron thread by mistake...

809666[/snapback]

How did you get that from what I said? I'm saying this has what we've done. It's failed. Let's stay patient with Jauron.

It is amusing how different sorts of people are viewed as "the rational group" after every week depending on the most recent game.

After week 2, anyone who had predicted something in the 5-11 range was a doom&gloom pessimist non-fan idiot who refused to acknowledge the apparant upgrades at QB, OL, defensive speed, and most importantly - coaching. Anybody who didn't have the Bills in their top 12 power rankings is a moron.

After week 6, anybody who thought of 8-8 as even a possibility at any point is a hopeless dreamer who was too dumb to realize both sides of the line still suck and the QB is still learning.

I myself was in the preseason 5-11 camp, but it doesn't stop me from getting pissed off about losing during the season because that's what diehards do. Maybe that's hypocritical, whatever, I don't care, I think it's pretty natural.

Frustration just boils over after a while. A lot of the problems the organization has brought on itself, but also - the bad luck is just mind-boggling. During the Wade Phillips era, 11-5 was good for a road wildcard game against a 13-3 team and we were playing in the best division in the league and getting screwed by the refs every other week. Two years later, NE has a first round bye w/ the same record and wins a SB via a cheap call against a California team in the snow thanks to replay, which was re-instated largely because they were given a game via lack of replay three years earlier, which cost the Bills a home playoff game.

Now we're in a lousy division and can't capitalize because we suck and have sucked 7 years. It just sucks - with our luck the Jets & Dolphins will be powerhouses by the time we turn this thing around.

It is amusing how different sorts of people are viewed as "the rational group" after every week depending on the most recent game.   

After week 2, anyone who had predicted something in the 5-11 range was a doom&gloom pessimist non-fan idiot who refused to acknowledge the apparant upgrades at QB, OL, defensive speed, and most importantly - coaching.  Anybody who didn't have the Bills in their top 12 power rankings is a moron.

After week 6, anybody who thought of 8-8 as even a possibility at any point is a hopeless dreamer who was too dumb to realize both sides of the line still suck and the QB is still learning.   

I myself was in the preseason 5-11 camp, but it doesn't stop me from getting pissed off about losing during the season because that's what diehards do.  Maybe that's hypocritical, whatever, I don't care, I think it's pretty natural. 

Frustration just boils over after a while.  A lot of the problems the organization has brought on itself, but also - the bad luck is just mind-boggling.  During the Wade Phillips era, 11-5 was good for a road wildcard game against a 13-3 team and we were playing in the best division in the league and getting screwed by the refs every other week.  Two years later, NE has a first round bye w/ the same record and wins a SB via a cheap call against a California team in the snow.  WTF?  Now we're in a lousy division and can't capitalize because we suck and have sucked 7 years.  It just sucks - with our luck the Jets & Dolphins will be powerhouses by the time we turn this thing around.

809678[/snapback]

I just want to see Jauron get a fair shake. For no other reason then us needing consistency. Very little separates playoff teams and non playoff teams. When you constantly change key elements of your team a lack of continuity will kill any gain in improvement for the short term. But before we even reach the potential gains for the long term the mobs ready to change it up again. Right now, even die hards must be willing to accept rebuilding. It doesn't mean you accept defeat, just that you agree to not turn on players/coaches/GM's until they have time. I hope people will keep this in mind while looking at the rest of the year.

How did you get that from what I said? I'm saying this has what we've done. It's failed. Let's stay patient with Jauron.

809672[/snapback]

809678[/snapback]

The words... change and fire.

And the life of a Bills fan. A win and it seems there be no reason why they should ever lose. A loss and the certainty that they may never win again. Enjoy the ride.

5-1

4-2

3-3

These are the records of three teams who hired new coaches that were 3-13, 6-10, and 4-12, respectively.

"Rebuilding" should not be a term that excuses poor play or poor coaching. There must be certain standards for improvement, and I think it would be fair to argue those aren't being met.

Having a QB like D Brees makes more of a difference than the coach. Having a great QB makes a huge difference. JP just isn't there yet. That's not to say he won't be, but right now he is very inconsistent.

If Drew Brees was on this team I bet we're better than 2-4!

If Bellichick has Bledsoe and not Brady he doesn't win 3 SBs. Having a great QB dramatically helps every phase of the game. Scoring points and consuming time helps the defense become better. It's just part of the game. I think the coaching staff has helped JP progress much better than last year. They kept him in games after starting horribly and he turned around and made some really nice plays. I think that is one of the most encouraging signs for fans! JP seems to be able to turn things around after making earlier mistakes.

You are right.

Although when I watch the Saints play, specifically, when I watch how the Saints' newly-rebuilt o-line can play at such a high level, it makes me think that this organization continually and repeatedly misses out on a similar opportunity every offseason. Yes we're rebuilding, but it would certainly speed up the process IF THIS ORGANIZATION WOULD JUST ONCE FOCUS ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE one of these offseasons.

There I got that out of my system. As I said, though, you're right.

After week 2, anyone who had predicted something in the 5-11 range was a doom&gloom pessimist non-fan idiot who refused to acknowledge the apparant upgrades at QB, OL, defensive speed, and most importantly - coaching.  Anybody who didn't have the Bills in their top 12 power rankings is a moron.

I myself was in the preseason 5-11 camp, but it doesn't stop me from getting pissed off about losing during the season because that's what diehards do.  Maybe that's hypocritical, whatever, I don't care, I think it's pretty natural. 

Frustration just boils over after a while.  A lot of the problems the organization has brought on itself, but also - the bad luck is just mind-boggling.  During the Wade Phillips era, 11-5 was good for a road wildcard game against a 13-3 team and we were playing in the best division in the league and getting screwed by the refs every other week.  Two years later, NE has a first round bye w/ the same record and wins a SB via a cheap call against a California team in the snow thanks to replay, which was re-instated largely because they were given a game via lack of replay three years earlier, which cost the Bills a home playoff game. 

Now we're in a lousy division and can't capitalize because we suck and have sucked 7 years.  It just sucks - with our luck the Jets & Dolphins will be powerhouses by the time we turn this thing around.

809678[/snapback]

And here I thought I was the only one who felt like that.

Exactly. We pretty much knew that this year was a write off. We've had a pretty good draft and we've shown (except for the Chicago game) that we can play with the big boys and certainly within the division. We've got a ways to go. I honestly think we're not only better than last year, we're doing it with younger players stepping up and good drafting...and that sounds like a recipe for success.

Having a QB like D Brees makes more of a difference than the coach.  Having a great QB makes a huge difference.  JP just isn't there yet.  That's not to say he won't be, but right now he is very inconsistent. 

If Drew Brees was on this team I bet we're better than 2-4!

If Bellichick has Bledsoe and not Brady he doesn't win 3 SBs.  Having a great QB dramatically helps every phase of the game.  Scoring points and consuming time helps the defense become better.  It's just part of the game.  I think the coaching staff has helped JP progress much better than last year.  They kept him in games after starting horribly and he turned around and made some really nice plays.  I think that is one of the most encouraging signs for fans!  JP seems to be able to turn things around after making earlier mistakes.

809760[/snapback]

Good post. Couldnt agree more.