MacFarland traded to the Colts

if the Bucs got a 2nd for McFarland, I wonder if the Bills were really in talks with them about Nate Clemments?

seems that maybe the Bills would have been asking for McFarland and a late pick for Nate? 

i don't know.  i am glad the Bills didn't give up a 2nd round for Boogies.

808685[/snapback]

why? do you think that a second round pick will be better than him? who is the last bills' second rounder to be as good as macfarland?

Marvin Harrison is 34 this year.  Tarik Glenn is 32.  Dwight Freeny is going to be a UFA next year.  It's not slamming shut by any means, but they're not going to be as dominant in the regular season as they have been.  Even this year, teams seem to be catching up to them quite a bit.  I don't think they'll miss the playoffs anytime soon, but they're reaching the later years of their team's sweet spot.

808457[/snapback]

I really find it hard to belive Harrison is 34. Seems like yesterday he almost slipped to the Bills..man I'm getting old.

why? do you think that a second round pick will be better than him? who is the last bills' second rounder to be as good as macfarland?

808740[/snapback]

not sure what McFarland's cap # will be, but i like Kyle Williams and his salary over McFarland and his salary. and he came later than a second round.

it's just my uneducated opinion anyway. it really doesn't mean anything.

Just a few things to respond to:

The trade was an overpay on the part of the Colts. It makes them better this year but the pick and cap flexibility could (and most likely) would be better long-term. I am glad the Pats only do deals like that when they're the team being overpaid (Deion Branch deal).

No one better than Bill Polian? Really? What has the guy done but bully the league into changing / enforcing rules to favor his team? It's not like the guy has built a championship team or anything.

Freeney may not be so easy to re-sign. The Colts aren't in the best cap situation in the world. They'll probably just tag him. Even so, that'll only further hurt them everywhere else. I hope they re-sign him to a big deal since he's highly overvalued due to his sacks.

Consistently drafting at the end of each round isn't always a killer. It makes things harder and most teams can't survive it, but the Pats have managed. Yeah I know that it can be argued that the Pats reign is over and they're falling along with the Colts but a perusal of their roster (looking at age and contracts), cap status going into the future, and their 2007 draft picks shows that they're in a rosier spot than the Colts and should continue to be a top team for years to come.

Just a few things to respond to:

No one better than Bill Polian? Really? What has the guy done but bully the league into changing / enforcing rules to favor his team? It's not like the guy has built a championship team or anything.

808823[/snapback]

Correct. No ONE better n old Bill. No GM. No single GM. If the Colts aren't a championship team, then I guess we are back to that stupid argument about only winning Super Bowls blah blah blah.

With your little 3 cornered hat gay man about to get it from Marcia, I can already hear it from you.

To me it's about winning games. consistently. And putting the talent on the field to do that. Bill is an undisputed champ. And done it twice.

Go cuddle with your self congratulatory buddies on the I Love Marcia and Teddy board. And keep your manlove for Brady out of my face.

And someone please tell me to stop feeding the trolls.

I kind of agree with the Pats Troll (thanks alot :doh: )

Polian is treated as a god around here, but what has he really done? He had a couple of SB teams with the Bills, and a now has a team that can not get past the AFC championship after having an unbeatable regular season. He has yet to win a championship but he is the guy all GM's should be like? I guess I just don't believe the Polian Hype.

I kind of agree with the Pats Troll (thanks alot  :doh: )

Polian is treated as a god around here, but what has he really done? He had a couple of SB teams with the Bills, and a now has a team that can not get past the AFC championship after having an unbeatable regular season. He has yet to win a championship but he is the guy all GM's should be like? I guess I just don't believe the Polian Hype.

808899[/snapback]

:)

he built a 3-time super bowl team in buffalo from absolutely nothing, and if freaking norwood makes that FG, they would have won the super bowl. he took an expansion team to the championship game in his second year in carolina, and then transformed an out-and-out horrible franchise, indy, into a perrennial contender. moreover, his proteges, butler and smith, either oversaw or built good teams in buffalo (5 playoff appearances in 8 seasons) and SD (possibly the best team in the league this year).

jeez!

Last night on WHAM, Marv said the following about the trade:

1. The Bucs contacted the Bills about a possible trade -- not the other way around.

2. The Bucs were requesting a first rounder.

3. The Bills were not willing to part with anything higher than a 3rd rounder -- and they were a bit weary of even giving up that much.

4. Marv and the coaches like Booger -- but have concerns about his age, contract -- and the perception that he takes too many plays off.

5. He felt that the Colts overpaid -- but understood that they HAD to overpay to get him. He suggested that if the Bills were in the same situation as the Colts, he too may have been willing to overpay.

Sheesh, follow a different team and disagree with the locals and suddenly you're a troll.

Honestly, I didn't even know Polian was involved in the 90s Bills teams. The only reason I've heard of him is due to his bullying (and assaulting) nature. I was talking about Polian in the context of what he's done in Indy.

In Indy Polian has built up his offense at the expense of his defense, despite the theory that defense wins championships. Has anyone ever said offense wins championships? Anyway, there is no way that a guy who thows money at the flashy skill positions while ignoring defense can be considered the best GM in football.

The team he built sells tickets and wins a lot of regular season games. There is no arguement there. Call me crazy but I measure the very best by playoff, and more importantly superbowl, victories.

His Bills experience doesn't change this. Had the Bills won a ring it might at least give him an arguement, but they didn't

Honestly, I didn't even know Polian was involved in the 90s Bills teams.

809006[/snapback]

no offense, but if you're not factoring his bills years into your assessment of him, then it's an unreliable assessment. he was gm of the year a couple of times, and took over a miserable franchise. he's one of the greats.

:doh:

he built a 3-time super bowl team in buffalo from absolutely nothing, and if freaking norwood makes that FG, they would have won the super bowl.  he took an expansion team to the championship game in his second year in carolina, and then transformed an out-and-out horrible franchise, indy, into a perrennial contender. moreover, his proteges, butler and smith, either oversaw or built good teams in buffalo (5 playoff appearances in 8 seasons) and SD (possibly the best team in the league this year).

jeez!

808906[/snapback]

And all that means what? He is a good GM, don't get me wrong, but the attitude around here is that he is the greatest GM to ever step into an NFL franchise's office. He has built good teams, but NONE of his teams have been able to win the big one.

And all that means what? He is a good GM, don't get me wrong, but the attitude around here is that he is the greatest GM to ever step into an NFL franchise's office. He has built good teams, but NONE of his teams have been able to win the big one.

809064[/snapback]

no offense, but i just *hate* this sort of attitude. the bills may not have won the big one, but they were in a position to win it in january 1991. if the freaking kicker makes that kick -- something polian had *no* control over at that particular moment -- then the assessment of him totally changes. basically, one special teams play is more important in assessing whether he's a great gm or not than two decades of good drafts and acquisitions and scores of victories.

let's put the shoe on the other foot -- was barry switzer a great pro coach? he didn't build a goddamn thing, yet he ran a super bowl winnnig team.

does the fact that cowher finally won a super bowl last year make him a greater coach? only if one is willing to dismiss the fact that they didn't have much of a game plan against seattle and were frankly lucky. having said that, it's inarguable that he's a great coach. but that's based on everything else he's done, not the super bowl win.

The goal of any GM and NFL franchise is to build a SB champion. Not to build a team that gets theere and almost wins, not to build a team that just gets to the big game, not to build a team to make it to the AFC/NFC Finals, Not to build a team that just makes the playoffs, to build a team that Wins the Big Game. So 1 out of the 4 SB games the Bills were in they almost won, what about the others? Would that one SB win make me change my opinion on him? Not much

Cowher is a better coach because he finally coached his team to a SB win. Is he great, no, but he is good.

Sheesh, follow a different team and disagree with the locals and suddenly you're a troll.

Honestly, I didn't even know Polian was involved in the 90s Bills teams. The only reason I've heard of him is due to his bullying (and assaulting) nature.

His Bills experience doesn't change this. Had the Bills won a ring it might at least give him an arguement, but they didn't

809006[/snapback]

An ignorant troll, and ignorant of what every single board member here knows. Rehashing arguments made far better, by better.

You might also take one of his famous (though not to you) suggestions and "get out of town".

Levy also has a good one for you, but I'm not telling...