Friday Night Lights

I 90

Anybody watching this ?

Didn't read the book, haven't watched the movie, but the television series has caught my eye.

I can't place the style. It is mostly shot in handheld camera at odd angles (eg. behind plants, from the hip, unusual distances, too close closeups...) giving it a dreamy quality. Strange choice for a football series, IMO. Does this come from the new "youth" shows that I can barely name that show on the MTV or WB/UPN ?

I don't usually have much time for fictional sports shows (who really needs them when the Mike Gandy show runs weekly), but I regret having to miss the third episode of FNL tonight.

FNL is the best new show on television.  Very well-written and well-acted.

807617[/snapback]

Totally agree with you there. It is my favorite new show. Though I was ticked off that they made us wait until tonight to see the game and the Sabres are on.

Anybody watching this ?

Didn't read the book, haven't watched the movie, but the television series has caught my eye.

I can't place the style. It is mostly shot in handheld camera at odd angles (eg. behind plants, from the hip, unusual distances, too close closeups...) giving it a dreamy quality. Strange choice for a football series, IMO. Does this come from the new "youth" shows that I can barely name that show on the MTV or WB/UPN ?

I don't usually have much time for fictional sports shows (who really needs them when the Mike Gandy show runs weekly), but I regret having to miss the third episode of FNL tonight.

807591[/snapback]

They style comes from the movie which was done in a documentary style. This was done to reflect the narrative voice of the book which was done by a reporter.

Read the book! It is about much more than a football team or a west texas town. Rather, it is also a commentary on social forces at play in the 1980's. Great stuff.

The show is ok. The first episode had some holes in it. They recover an on-sides kick then have a long run but the winning TD was tossed from their 30 or so. Just stuff like that.

I wouldnt compare it to the book. The book was amazing. The movie ruined that enough. I would compare it to Varsity Blues more than anything. It is a good show though.

you don't have to miss it - Go to ABC.com and you can watch the whole program tomorrow or after 2am pacific.

That's where I see it. Dancing with the stars is on opposite it and I like to watch Emmit dance.

I saw the premier on a United flight to Phoenix in early September (why they do that? Who knows...get some word-of-mouth mo-jo going or something).

Anyways, I turned to the guy next to me and said, "Wasn't this called 'All the Right Moves?'" :P

you don't have to miss it - Go to ABC.com and you can watch the whole program tomorrow or after 2am pacific.

That's where I see it.  Dancing with the stars is on opposite it and I like to watch Emmit dance.

807841[/snapback]

You obviously didn't get your fill of Emitt dancing during Super Bowl XXVII and XXVIII? :P

I have enjoyed the show.

For what it is worth, according to IMDB, the actor that plays the coach was born in Buffalo.

Another piece of trivia, the actor who played the QB in the movie was the little kid in Sling Blade with Billy Bob.

They style comes from the movie which was done in a documentary style. This was done to reflect the narrative voice of the book which was done by a reporter. .

807666[/snapback]

I wouldnt compare it to the book.  The book was amazing.  The movie ruined that enough.  I would compare it to Varsity Blues more than anything.  It is a good show though.

807812[/snapback]

807841[/snapback]

That is not a documentary style that I am used to -- it is very, uh, manipulative ... ? I do like the way it works in a television drama.

Book and movie are on the list. I have been brushing up against the FNL phenomenon for nearly fifteen years on my travels around Texas (saw a game in Donna, near Harlingen) but West Texas seems a different animal.

Thanks for the internet tip. Currently handicapped by dial-up but that MUST change.

Chandler is a local ? I watched his old show with the "early" paper and really thought he was going places. Figures an iconic everyman would be a Buffalonian.