I WASN'T GOING TO POST, BUT I'M TOO FURIOUS NOT TO

sven233

WOW........This team is BAD. There are so many holes on this team, it isn't even funny. We are so bad at so many positions on the field that it may take 2-3 more years to get things solved. And that, my friends is WAY TOO LONG.

1. The biggest problems on this team are the Offensive and Defensive Lines. I know a lot of you follow my posts throughout the year and know my stance on all of this. But, it needs to be said again. If you have a dominant Offensive and Defensive Line, you WILL WIN A LOT MORE GAMES THAN YOU WILL LOSE. I don't care if you are average at every other position, if you are DOMINANT in the trenches, you WILL win games. Right now, the Bills have 1 solid Offensive Linemen and 1 solid Defensive Linemen. THAT IS IT. Peters is a SOLID tackle and could be DOMINANT sooner than later. Schobel is also solid at DE. HOWEVER, they are not good enough at any other position on either line. Both of the lines are getting blown off the ball every single play. The O-Line couldn't push anyone into the backfield if their lives depended on it. That equates to NO GOOD run blocking and SWISS CHEESE pass blocking. Like I have said on several other occasions, you can have an average running back that can turn into a star if you can open holes. This O-Line we have now can't get out of their own way. In "pass protection" (like there was any today), any QB that is in the NFL can look like a superstar if you give him 4-5 seconds to throw the ball. JP was getting 2-3 and then having to scramble because there was never a pocket to allow him to scan the field. Granted, JP does have some issues of his own, but he gets a bad rap for a lot of things he shouldn't just because he is forced to get rid of the ball so fast. If he had more time, he would find guys open. But, that all comes back to the O-Line and they, aside from Peters ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

On the D-Line, they are getting blown off the ball EVERY SNAP. Nobody is even touching the opposing RBs until they are at least 5 yards down the field. I am sick of this whole "we need to attack the run with speed at DT" CRAP! Give me 2 FAT guys in the middle to take up space and let the speed at DE and LB contain the outside. I don't need 2 DTs that are 290 lbs and run a 4.8 - 5.0, 40. I don't need DTs that can run 20 yards down the field to make a tackle. Just stuff the middle of the line and let the speed outside take care of the rest. I am sick and tired of seeing Tripplett, Williams, and Anderson getting blown off the ball and pancaked to the ground every play. Get me 2 STRONG, FAT GUYS that can't be moved and I will worry about stopping the runs to the outside with my DEs and LBs. Like I said earlier, Schobel is the only guy on our line right now that is good enough. With the undersized DTs getting man-handled at the line, the LBs are getting blocked way too easily allowing the RBs to pick any hole they like. As far as I am concerned, the other 3 D-Linemen can go.

If the Bills want to ever be a dominant team, it starts up front, in the trenches. Until they understand this, they will be spinning their wheels. Like I have said in several times in the past, you build a team from the O-Line and D-Line out. If you are dominant up front, you will win a lot of games even if you have average talent at all the other positions. Having dominant lines allows other average talent to look good, sometimes even great. The Bills have 1 player on each line that is dominant enough. The rest are not good enough.

2. While I do believe that the lines are the biggest problem on this team, our CBs are average, at best. I am so frustrated watching these guys try to play the position and not doing what they need to do. We may have the least physical corners in the league and that is not going to cut it. Roy Williams was not the first WR to tear us up this year and he won't be the last. Until this team learns to be aggressive at CB and knock these WRs off their routes, they will continue to get burned. Williams was knocked down 1 time this entire game. I think it was Greer who had the initial coverage on him. He stepped up to the line and knocked Williams on his butt and the Bills almost had a pick on the play. That was the only time he was challenged all day. Every other play he had a free run into the secondary. You won't stop any WR in the league if you don't re-route the WR and throw off the timing of the play. The CBs on this team, no matter how athletic they are, will continue to get burned until they start jamming the WRs at the line and intimidating them from the start.

ALSO, IF I SEE ONE MORE PLAY WHERE THE CB OR LB IN COVERAGE SITS DOWN AND WAITS UNTIL THE BALL CARRIER COMES TO THEM TO MAKE A TACKLE, I AM REALLY GOING TO GET PI**ED OFF. I don't know how many times this season, teams end up getting an extra 5-10 yards because our defender waits for the ball carrier to come to them to try and make the tackle. Usually, they don't end up making the tackle because the ball carrier is already by them with a quick move. Until this team gets the mentality to go ATTACK the ball carrier and take the play to them, they will continue to give up unnecessary yardage. I have seen CBs do it and LBs do it. They freaking wait to make the tackle. BE A MAN AND TAKE THE PAIN TO THE BALL CARRIER!!! GO HIT HIM! DON'T WAIT TO BE HIT. INITIATE THE CONTACT! BE AGGRESSIVE WHEN SOMEONE HAS THE BALL. A prime example of this was on the critical 3rd and 5 (or 6) with about 2 minutes to go. Detroit runs a little swing pass to Jones and Thomas, instead of running up and just taking him out of the play, stands back and waits for Jones to come to him. By that time, Jones had already put the move on him and was down the field for the 1st down. If Thomas just sees the swing and runs up to hit Jones and takes the contact and tackle to him, it is a 1 or 2 yard gain and we get the ball back.

OUR DEFENSE IS WAY TOO SOFT and we will not improve at all until this defense steps up and attacks the opposing offense. Yeah, they may get burned for a big one once in a while, but the will change the game and that is what a defense is supposed to do. This defense needs to force the issue and they are not doing that right now. They are playing soft and scared to give up the big play and they are giving up big play after big play because of it. The defense needs to step it up and dictates to the offense how the game is going to be played. We are supposed to be an aggressive defense. Right now they are scared and soft. Until that changes, expect more of the same.

3. Play calling - Although I haven't had a lot of problems with most of the play calling, there are some things that have happened regularly that I have issues with. For example, every time we get 1st and 5 or something like that because of penalty, we always end up throwing it 3 times. That ticks me off. RUN THE BALL, pick up first downs and build some confidence! Even if they do run it once and only get 3 yards, RUN IT AGAIN AND AGAIN, if necessary and GET FIRST DOWNS! Pound the ball and move the sticks instead of throwing away opportunities. Also, I know we have had some success running the ball inside, but can we PLEASE run some more plays off tackle????????? Every time we take the ball to the outside we seem to pick up 10-15 yards, AT LEAST! The prime example was today. They were getting little or nothing inside and then on the one play that went to the outside, McGahee picked up 21 yards!!!! Did we see another run outside all day? NO!!!!! McGahee has shown that he does have some speed to the outside this year. On that 1 today, he was just a half step away from outrunning the CB that he beat to the outside. He can do it, but they don't call enough plays to take advantage of this.

Also, we saw 1 pass to a TE today that went for a TD. I hope they realize that the TE is in on most every play and it is OK to throw to them once in a while. Also, what happened to getting the RBs involved in the downfield passing game? They did it in camp, but they have not done it yet in 6 games this year! I know, Losman seems to throw the balls high every time on the short dump passes out of the backfield, but they need to get it figured out. Every pass thrown to McGahee or any other RB this season has been within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Lets try to get the RBS and TEs more involved in the passing game and that will take a lot more pressure off Losman.

This team has a lot more issues than those I have listed, but I do believe that some of these issues would go away if we had dominant lines. THE WAY YOU WIN FOOTBALL GAMES IS TO BUILD YOUR TEAM FROM THE LINES OUT.

To be honest, I like most of the players we have at the skilled positions. McGahee, Evans, Price, Parrish are all good enough to do some damage and score some points. Losman is good enough to get them the ball. BUT, until we get an O-Line in here that can knock somebody's teeth in, they will not be any better. Each one of them would look GREAT if the O-Line was dominant. They may not have the most talent in the world, but with a good O-Line, they would have the potential to BE VERY EXPLOSIVE. Unfortunately, our O-line, like it has been since the early 90s unit disbanded, will continue to have bad pass protection and will continue to fail to knock people off the ball when it is needed the most.

This team needs better players up front on both sides of the ball to become the dominant team they want and need to be. Unfortunately, that may take 2-4 more years to fix (and that is only if they recognize this right away....although it is hard to miss).

Sorry for the rant guys, but the fact is that I have been saying this for so long and these guys that run this team still don't get it.

1.  The biggest problems on this team are the Offensive and Defensive Lines.

805898[/snapback]

I read the first few sentences and all I needed to see was the beginning of #1 to see that I agree completely with you.

I don't know if I like the 'cover 2' philosophy of smaller, quick DT's. This is the AFC East where running the ball might as well be the first chapter of the bible. In the yin-yang sense of things this would imply that a team would need a good run defense to win.

I'm sure that I could get some agreement that having a couple big DT's (even just 1) stops the run better than ones that get pushed off the line alot (not their fault, they are just outsized quite regularly). Look at the Bills run defense with Ted Washington, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, etc. etc.

Most of the better run stopping defenses in the NFL have at least 1 large and in charge DT.

As for the offensive line, this may be Marv's 'F' grade this year. While I like the acquisition of Reyes and Fowler and the extension of Peters I don't like the lack of depth and the misguided confidence in Mike Gandy. Chris Villarial also appears to have passed his prime.

Next years draft might as well exclusively focus on the lines. Or maybe trade a draft pick or two away for a grade 'A' O-lineman.

2.  While I do believe that the lines are the biggest problem on this team, our CBs are average, at best. 

"We have one of the best secondaries in the NFL." -Sven233 9/17/06 :(

WOW........This team is BAD.  There are so many holes on this team, it isn't even funny.  We are so bad at so many positions on the field that it may take 2-3 more years to get things solved. 

I thought you said, "This team can hang with everyone. I still say they have a great chance at the playoffs." :(

"We have one of the best secondaries in the NFL."  -Sven233 9/17/06  :(

805978[/snapback]

Alot of us were very positive after the first 2 games. The Bills had just shut down Tom Brady and Daunte Culpepper. Of course we didn't realize that Culpepper had officially become sub-par and Brady was playing with 1 WR.

Damn optimism.

Alot of us were very positive after the first 2 games.  The Bills had just shut down Tom Brady and Daunte Culpepper.  Of course we didn't realize that Culpepper had officially become sub-par and Brady was playing with 1 WR.

Damn optimism.

805983[/snapback]

Well, that's kind of my point. Why does a positive opinion following a win all of a sudden become "wrong" after a loss? Some of you guys are just way too fickle, in my opinion. This team is YOUNG. IIRC, now that Vincent is gone, we are the youngest team in the NFL. We're going to have growing pains. As much as we're all frustrated that we're in year six or seven of a seemingly perpetual rebuilding plan, it doesn't change the fact that we're basically starting from scratch this season. I think anyone who expected this team to be consistent from game one onward through game 16 was beign a bit unrealistic.

We're going to have good plays and bad plays....good games and bad games....that's what happens with young teams.

WOW........This team is BAD.  There are so many holes on this team, it isn't even funny.  We are so bad at so many positions on the field that it may take 2-3 more years to get things solved.  And that, my friends is WAY TOO LONG.

1.  The biggest problems on this team are the Offensive and Defensive Lines.  I know a lot of you follow my posts throughout the year and know my stance on all of this.  But, it needs to be said again.  If you have a dominant Offensive and Defensive Line, you WILL WIN A LOT MORE GAMES THAN YOU WILL LOSE.  I don't care if you are average at every other position, if you are DOMINANT in the trenches, you WILL win games.  Right now, the Bills have 1 solid Offensive Linemen and 1 solid Defensive Linemen.  THAT IS IT.  Peters is a SOLID tackle and could be DOMINANT sooner than later.  Schobel is also solid at DE.  HOWEVER, they are not good enough at any other position on either line.  Both of the lines are getting blown off the ball every single play.  The O-Line couldn't push anyone into the backfield if their lives depended on it.  That equates to NO GOOD run blocking and SWISS CHEESE pass blocking.  Like I have said on several other occasions, you can have an average running back that can turn into a star if you can open holes.  This O-Line we have now can't get out of their own way.  In "pass protection" (like there was any today), any QB that is in the NFL can look like a superstar if you give him 4-5 seconds to throw the ball.  JP was getting 2-3 and then having to scramble because there was never a pocket to allow him to scan the field.  Granted, JP does have some issues of his own, but he gets a bad rap for a lot of things he shouldn't just because he is forced to get rid of the ball so fast.  If he had more time, he would find guys open.  But, that all comes back to the O-Line and they, aside from Peters ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

On the D-Line, they are getting blown off the ball EVERY SNAP.  Nobody is even touching the opposing RBs until they are at least 5 yards down the field.  I am sick of this whole "we need to attack the run with speed at DT" CRAP!  Give me 2 FAT guys in the middle to take up space and let the speed at DE and LB contain the outside.  I don't need 2 DTs that are 290 lbs and run a 4.8 - 5.0, 40.  I don't need DTs that can run 20 yards down the field to make a tackle.  Just stuff the middle of the line and let the speed outside take care of the rest.  I am sick and tired of seeing Tripplett, Williams, and Anderson getting blown off the ball and pancaked to the ground every play.  Get me 2 STRONG, FAT GUYS that can't be moved and I will worry about stopping the runs to the outside with my DEs and LBs.  Like I said earlier, Schobel is the only guy on our line right now that is good enough.  With the undersized DTs getting man-handled at the line, the LBs are getting blocked way too easily allowing the RBs to pick any hole they like.  As far as I am concerned, the other 3 D-Linemen can go.

If the Bills want to ever be a dominant team, it starts up front, in the trenches.  Until they understand this, they will be spinning their wheels.  Like I have said in several times in the past, you build a team from the O-Line and D-Line out.  If you are dominant up front, you will win a lot of games even if you have average talent at all the other positions.  Having dominant lines allows other average talent to look good, sometimes even great.  The Bills have 1 player on each line that is dominant enough.  The rest are not good enough.

2.  While I do believe that the lines are the biggest problem on this team, our CBs are average, at best.  I am so frustrated watching these guys try to play the position and not doing what they need to do.  We may have the least physical corners in the league and that is not going to cut it.  Roy Williams was not the first WR to tear us up this year and he won't be the last.  Until this team learns to be aggressive at CB and knock these WRs off their routes, they will continue to get burned.  Williams was knocked down 1 time this entire game.  I think it was Greer who had the initial coverage on him.  He stepped up to the line and knocked Williams on his butt and the Bills almost had a pick on the play.  That was the only time he was challenged all day.  Every other play he had a free run into the secondary.  You won't stop any WR in the league if you don't re-route the WR and throw off the timing of the play.  The CBs on this team, no matter how athletic they are, will continue to get burned until they start jamming the WRs at the line and intimidating them from the start. 

ALSO, IF I SEE ONE MORE PLAY WHERE THE CB OR LB IN COVERAGE SITS DOWN AND WAITS UNTIL THE BALL CARRIER COMES TO THEM TO MAKE A TACKLE, I AM REALLY GOING TO GET PI**ED OFF.  I don't know how many times this season, teams end up getting an extra 5-10 yards because our defender waits for the ball carrier to come to them to try and make the tackle.  Usually, they don't end up making the tackle because the ball carrier is already by them with a quick move.  Until this team gets the mentality to go ATTACK the ball carrier and take the play to them, they will continue to give up unnecessary yardage.  I have seen CBs do it and LBs do it.  They freaking wait to make the tackle.  BE A MAN AND TAKE THE PAIN TO THE BALL CARRIER!!!  GO HIT HIM!  DON'T WAIT TO BE HIT.  INITIATE THE CONTACT!  BE AGGRESSIVE WHEN SOMEONE HAS THE BALL.  A prime example of this was on the critical 3rd and 5 (or 6) with about 2 minutes to go.  Detroit runs a little swing pass to Jones and Thomas, instead of running up and just taking him out of the play, stands back and waits for Jones to come to him.  By that time, Jones had already put the move on him and was down the field for the 1st down.  If Thomas just sees the swing and runs up to hit Jones and takes the contact and tackle to him, it is a 1 or 2 yard gain and we get the ball back.

OUR DEFENSE IS WAY TOO SOFT and we will not improve at all until this defense steps up and attacks the opposing offense.  Yeah, they may get burned for a big one once in a while, but the will change the game and that is what a defense is supposed to do.  This defense needs to force the issue and they are not doing that right now.  They are playing soft and scared to give up the big play and they are giving up big play after big play because of it.  The defense needs to step it up and dictates to the offense how the game is going to be played. We are supposed to be an aggressive defense.  Right now they are scared and soft.  Until that changes, expect more of the same.

3.  Play calling - Although I haven't had a lot of problems with most of the play calling, there are some things that have happened regularly that I have issues with.  For example, every time we get 1st and 5 or something like that because of penalty, we always end up throwing it 3 times.  That ticks me off.  RUN THE BALL, pick up first downs and build some confidence!  Even if they do run it once and only get 3 yards, RUN IT AGAIN AND AGAIN, if necessary and GET FIRST DOWNS!  Pound the ball and move the sticks instead of throwing away opportunities.  Also, I know we have had some success running the ball inside, but can we PLEASE run some more plays off tackle?????????  Every time we take the ball to the outside we seem to pick up 10-15 yards, AT LEAST!  The prime example was today.  They were getting little or nothing inside and then on the one play that went to the outside, McGahee picked up 21 yards!!!!  Did we see another run outside all day?  NO!!!!!  McGahee has shown that he does have some speed to the outside this year.  On that 1 today, he was just a half step away from outrunning the CB that he beat to the outside.  He can do it, but they don't call enough plays to take advantage of this.

Also, we saw 1 pass to a TE today that went for a TD.  I hope they realize that the TE is in on most every play and it is OK to throw to them once in a while.  Also, what happened to getting the RBs involved in the downfield passing game?  They did it in camp, but they have not done it yet in 6 games this year!  I know, Losman seems to throw the balls high every time on the short dump passes out of the backfield, but they need to get it figured out.  Every pass thrown to McGahee or any other RB this season has been within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.  Lets try to get the RBS and TEs more involved in the passing game and that will take a lot more pressure off Losman.

This team has a lot more issues than those I have listed, but I do believe that some of these issues would go away if we had dominant lines.  THE WAY YOU WIN FOOTBALL GAMES IS TO BUILD YOUR TEAM FROM THE LINES OUT.

To be honest, I like most of the players we have at the skilled positions.  McGahee, Evans, Price, Parrish are all good enough to do some damage and score some points.  Losman is good enough to get them the ball.  BUT, until we get an O-Line in here that can knock somebody's teeth in, they will not be any better.  Each one of them would look GREAT if the O-Line was dominant.  They may not have the most talent in the world, but with a good O-Line, they would have the potential to BE VERY EXPLOSIVE.  Unfortunately, our O-line, like it has been since the early 90s unit disbanded, will continue to have bad pass protection and will continue to fail to knock people off the ball when it is needed the most.

This team needs better players up front on both sides of the ball to become the dominant team they want and need to be.  Unfortunately, that may take 2-4 more years to fix (and that is only if they recognize this right away....although it is hard to miss).

Sorry for the rant guys, but the fact is that I have been saying this for so long and these guys that run this team still don't get it.

805898[/snapback]

Wow, that is some post. But I agree with almost all of it. Reality has sunk in and this team is far away from being a contendor. Marv Levy gave an honest opinion on how long it would take and he did say that it will be tough to move the team in the right direction but thinks that it can be done with time. I think when it comes down to it, this season looks similar to last year. The difference is that we have a younger group of players. Its also nice to see that a lot of our draft picks this year are playing.

Wow, that is some post.  But I agree with almost all of it.  Reality has sunk in and this team is far away from being a contendor.  Marv Levy gave an honest opinion on how long it would take and he did say that it will be tough to move the team in the right direction but thinks that it can be done with time.  I think when it comes down to it, this season looks similar to last year.  The difference is that we have a younger group of players.  Its also nice to see that a lot of our draft picks this year are playing.

805988[/snapback]

Right...Levy and Jauron were both very clear from the start that it would take time and they would need to be 'forcefully patient" with JP and the other youngsters. It's simply the reality of the situation.

Also. Lets face it. Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith .. and Co.  spoiled us.

805990[/snapback]

They did? They never won sh--.

I'm sick of people canonizing those guys...they never wona Super Bowl, and in the NFL, that is ALL that matters.

All of the other teams in our division have been at the top of the mountain. The Bills never have and likely never will.

Well, that's kind of my point. Why does a positive opinion following a win all of a sudden become "wrong" after a loss? Some of you guys are just way too fickle, in my opinion. This team is YOUNG. IIRC, now that Vincent is gone, we are the youngest team in the NFL. We're going to have growing pains. As much as we're all frustrated that we're in year six or seven of a seemingly perpetual rebuilding plan, it doesn't change the fact that we're basically starting from scratch this season. I think anyone who expected this team to be consistent from game one onward through game 16 was beign a bit unrealistic.

We're going to have good plays and bad plays....good games and bad games....that's what happens with young teams.

805987[/snapback]

Wrong , wanna try again:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=518909

Green Bay - The National Football League's youngest team is off to a 1-4 start

Wrong , wanna try again:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=518909

806181[/snapback]

Okay, VA....so maybe we're the SECOND youngest team... :( The point still stands, and it even illustrated further by Green Bay's struggles. Young teams are inconsistent and need time to grow.

fat DT's != good DT's

The problem with our DT's isnt that they're small, but its that they dont have enough talent. The cover-2 defense can work, but it takes time to install, and most of you hot pocket eaters dont have the patience for it. Our DT's have limited talent, hence the reason our D gets run on.

"We have one of the best secondaries in the NFL."  -Sven233 9/17/06  :lol:

805978[/snapback]

You know what......I did say that. And I really believed that. But Clements and McGee has regressed A LOT in the last year or so.

I still love our young safties and McGee has shown good skill in the past. But right now, the fact is that they are not playing well enough. If these guys would get up on the line, knock their receievers off stride and throw the timing off on their routs and attack the ball carriers, they would be much better.

There are a lot of things that are going wrong right now, BUT I think it may be a lot of technique and attitude problems rather than physical skills.

So, to go back to your quote, yes, I said that. And, I still beleieve it if they would start playing more physical and with heart like I thought they would BEFORE the season started. Right now, they are just not getting it done. But they have a lot of upside and I still think with a little attitude adjustment and some technique corrections, that statement will be true. It is way to early to tell either way right now, but at this time, they are not getting it done. I hope they get it figured out soon.