Who do you think is the second best team in the

So I'm driving along today at around 5:00 after XC practice and I'm tuning into the one of my favorite ESPN Radio shows, "The Sports Bash". While I'm listening they want to know who do you think is the second best team in the NFL behind the Bears. I say either the Chargers or the Eagles.

What do you think?

So I'm driving along today at around 5:00 after XC practice and I'm tuning into the one of my favorite ESPN Radio shows, "The Sports Bash".  While I'm listening they want to know who do you think is the second best team in the NFL behind the Bears.  I say either the Chargers or the Eagles.

What do you think?

801431[/snapback]

I say Eagles...but that's strictly because I haven't yet really seen the Chargers play.

Let's see the Chargers beat a playoff-capable team (Steelers don't count, they are not playing like a playoff-capable team) before we even put them before Indy, Philly, Denver, Baltimore, New England, heck even Cinci, Atlanta, Seattle. I put them in the "who have you beat?" league of 3-1 teams like NO and St. Louis.

I'd go Chicago, Philly, Indy (yes they are undefeated, but they are going to have trouble in the winter months without a running game), then probably New England (unless Denver and/or Baltimore get their offenses producing). Could never believe much in Cinci, Atlanta or Seattle either, but I haven't seen enough to let past prejudices be put aside.

Indy finally makes the Super Bowl this year by virtue of the fact that they are not just killing everybody as usual. I think Dungy will learn from his mistake of resting everybody before the playoffs this year and have them hungry.

Indy is #2. The Eagles are #3 and they're doing it with a WR corps suspiciously like those of New England's in the past -- no bona fide A1 guy but a bunch of dudes who can step up any week. Oh, they miss T.O. allright. :doh:

Let's see the Chargers beat a playoff-capable team (Steelers don't count, they are not playing like a playoff-capable team) before we even put them before Indy, Philly, Denver, Baltimore, New England, heck even Cinci, Atlanta, Seattle.  I put them in the "who have you beat?" league of 3-1  teams like NO and St. Louis. 

I'd go Chicago, Philly, Indy (yes they are undefeated, but they are going to have trouble in the winter months without a running game), then probably New England (unless Denver and/or Baltimore get their offenses producing).  Could never believe much in Cinci, Atlanta or Seattle either, but I haven't seen enough to let past prejudices be put aside.

801490[/snapback]

Why do people say they dont have a running game without looking at the facts. They have about 10-20 less yards this year than they had this time last year. An average of about a whole 5 yards a game. Woo!

Why do people say they dont have a running game without looking at the facts. They have about 10-20 less yards this year than they had this time last year. An average of about a whole 5 yards a game. Woo!

801503[/snapback]

Not a precipitous drop-off at all, considering. Addai will do just fine behind that line as the season wears on.

Let's see the Chargers beat a playoff-capable team (Steelers don't count, they are not playing like a playoff-capable team) before we even put them before Indy, Philly, Denver, Baltimore, New England, heck even Cinci, Atlanta, Seattle.  I put them in the "who have you beat?" league of 3-1  teams like NO and St. Louis. 

801490[/snapback]

The Steelers went into San Diego as a desparate underdog in primetime early last year too. This year the Chargers won, so, in my book that's a good win and they're a big reason why the Steelers aren't considered a "playoff-capable" team right now.

The Eagles have beaten the Cowboys and Packers at home, the Texans and Niners on the road. They lost to the Giants, the best team they've played so far, at home. They'll be no worse than 7-3, but their last six are killers.

Second best? The winner of Indy at Denver in three weeks.

The Eagles have beaten the Cowboys and Packers at home, the Texans and Niners on the road.  They lost to the Giants, the best team they've played so far, at home.

801507[/snapback]

There isn't much evidence to support this idea that the Giants are better than the Cowboys - you only say that because Philly won one lost the other. They vastly outplayed the Giants, got some bad bounces, and ultimately choked. But they're doing this without their starting RB or #1 WR healthy and as long as McNabb is healthy, they've always been a great road team.

So I'm driving along today at around 5:00 after XC practice and I'm tuning into the one of my favorite ESPN Radio shows, "The Sports Bash".  While I'm listening they want to know who do you think is the second best team in the NFL behind the Bears.  I say either the Chargers or the Eagles.

What do you think?

801431[/snapback]

I think Denver is very, very good. I'd put them second. They just have a lot of the little things besides the great defense - namely, good coaching, versatility, two dependable receivers, and good special teams with a money kicker. That defense though is spectacular. It's scary to think that Chicago's may be better.

Philly is flying high right now, but they've had a very easy schedule and have a lot of holes. I don't think they're even in the top five (Seattle, New England, San Diego).

Colts have done well to start undefeated, but they have a ton of flaws that I imagine won't get better. I can't see them winning a tough road game in the playoffs.

There isn't much evidence to support this idea that the Giants are better than the Cowboys - you only say that because Philly won one lost the other.  They vastly outplayed the Giants, got some bad bounces, and ultimately choked.  But they're doing this without their starting RB or #1 WR healthy and as long as McNabb is healthy, they've always been a great road team.

801512[/snapback]

I'll grant you there isn't much evidence, but it's not fair to jump to the conclusion that I'm "only saying it because..."

Here is my case:

The Giants only two losses have been vs. Indy and at Sea, while beating Washington and Philly.

Dallas beat Washington and Tennessee, while losing to Jacksonville and Philly.

So, it's a little circular, but against common opponents, the Giants are 2-0, Dallas is 1-1, and the Giants have played better competition (Indy beat Jax).

On a neutral field, I would take the Giants.

Edit: over the Cowboys and Eagles.

I think Denver is very, very good. I'd put them second. They just have a lot of the little things besides the great defense - namely, good coaching, versatility, two dependable receivers, and good special teams with a money kicker. That defense though is spectacular. It's scary to think that Chicago's may be better.

801518[/snapback]

I agree

801503[/snapback]

You should look at all the facts too - they've played some of the weakest run defenses in the NFL.

What do you think?

801431[/snapback]

I'd have to go Denver, Philly, San Diego, Indy (just because they are undefeated) to round out my top 5.

801503[/snapback]

I agree with you about Indy's Run game.....it's certainly good enough.

I could not put them(unlike several others on this thread) as the top team due to their total lack of a run D.

They rank 2nd to last in yards/game at 166.8

They rank last in yards/attempt at 5.2

They cannot count on amazing comebacks from Manning every week.

You should look at all the facts too - they've played some of the weakest run defenses in the NFL.

801530[/snapback]

You should go back and look at your facts again ... LAST year through 5 games the Colts played the 9th, 14th, 30th, 22nd, 18th ranked defenses for an average of 19th ...

This year they have played the 9th, 25th, 12th, 28th, and 32nd ranked defenses for an average of 21st ...

So they are only about 10-20 yards behind last year and the placement of the defenses they played is so close that it doesnt even warrant talking about.

I'll grant you there isn't much evidence, but it's not fair to jump to the conclusion that I'm "only saying it because..."

Here is my case:

The Giants only two losses have been vs. Indy and at Sea, while beating Washington and Philly.

Dallas beat Washington and Tennessee, while losing to Jacksonville and Philly.

So, it's a little circular, but against common opponents, the Giants are 2-0, Dallas is 1-1, and the Giants have played better competition (Indy beat Jax).

On a neutral field, I would take the Giants.

Edit: over the Cowboys and Eagles.

801521[/snapback]

Fair enough - just about every argument is circular at this stage of the season because common opponents are so out of whack in the NFL, and have been for years. Some teams get penalized for soft schedules and some don't; it's essentially impossible to do power rankings without being a hypocrite. I like Peter Kings "this is who I think would win on a neutral field" wildly subjective strategy...at least he doesn't pretend to use some precise objective formula. Personally I thought Dallas & Philly were the best teams in the East going into the season.

I think it could be any of the ones mentioned, but I think I would have to give it to the Colts right now. Not because of their record or who they've played, but because I think they are the second best football team right now, and that is what the question was.

I'd think long and hard about San Diego, which has a very very good defense, arguably the best payer in football running the ball, one of the best tight ends in the game, and a young QB who is living up to expectations (with a D like that and a running game, and two short passing safety valves like LT and Gates, it's a pretty easy situation for a young QB). I'm not a Marty-ball fan, and I think they can get outcoached, but they are a really good team.

I think it could be any of the ones mentioned, but I think I would have to give it to the Colts right now.  Not because of their record or who they've played, but because I think they are the second best football team right now, and that is what the question was.

I'd think long and hard about San Diego, which has a very very good defense, arguably the best payer in football running the ball, one of the best tight ends in the game, and a young QB who is living up to expectations (with a D like that and a running game, and two short passing safety valves like LT and Gates, it's a pretty easy situation for a young QB).  I'm not a Marty-ball fan, and I think they can get outcoached, but they are a really good team.

801877[/snapback]

That best RB is not doing so hot this season ... he has 336 yards off of 89 attempts for an average of 3.8 YPC ... in fact Willis McGahee is actually averaging more yards per game than he is.

You should go back and look at your facts again ... LAST year through 5 games the Colts played the 9th, 14th, 30th, 22nd, 18th ranked defenses for an average of 19th ...

This year they have played the 9th, 25th, 12th, 28th, and 32nd ranked defenses for an average of 21st ...

So they are only about 10-20 yards behind last year and the placement of the defenses they played is so close that it doesnt even warrant talking about.

801546[/snapback]

Not exactly. Because of the way injuries end seasons, you have to compare shorter periods of time then the end of a season to current rush defenses.

For example, at this point, the Ravens had given up 74.25 yards/game rushing, significantly less then their final average of 99.4 yards/game (and good enough for first place).

This is, of course, something we could go back and forth on, so I think we might just have to agree to disagree lol.

ok I have to ask, Why is New England even in the same breath as the Broncos, Ravens, Bears, Bengals, Chargers, Iggles, and Colts? Honestly New England hasn't proved anything to me this year. The first three weeks they barely beat the bills and jets and lost to the broncos. They had one good game agianst the bengals, and didn't do too well against the fish. These guys have the benefit of being in the weakest division in the AFC and haven't dominated any team in their division.

Not exactly.  Because of the way injuries end seasons, you have to compare shorter periods of time then the end of a season to current rush defenses. 

For example, at this point, the Ravens had given up 74.25 yards/game rushing, significantly less then their final average of 99.4 yards/game (and good enough for first place).

This is, of course, something we could go back and forth on, so I think we might just have to agree to disagree lol.

801950[/snapback]

Yeah lets agree to disagree, because if you wanted to go on I would show you that the Ravens played teams that could not run the ball the first 5 weeks of last year. Indianapolis, Tennessee, NY Jets, Detroit, and Cleveland. Of those 5 offenses, only ONE was in the top 5 of rushing at the end of the season. Only ONE was in the top 10 of rushing at the end of the season. Only TWO were in the top 15 of rushing at the end of the season. Only TWO were in the top 20 of rushing at the end of the season. Get what im saying? The Ravens Defense played no-body's the first 5 games. So yeah anyway. Lets agree to disagree.

ok I have to ask, Why is New England even in the same breath as the Broncos, Ravens, Bears, Bengals, Chargers, Iggles, and Colts? Honestly New England hasn't proved anything to me this year. The first three weeks they barely beat the bills and jets and lost to the broncos. They had one good game agianst the bengals, and didn't do too well against the fish. These guys have the benefit of being in the weakest division in the AFC and haven't dominated any team in their division.

801957[/snapback]

Because they beat the Bengals and the Bengals are everyone's bandwagon team ... but I agree with you. I would barely put them in the top 8 and I think Buffalo beats them in Orchard Park.

Yeah lets agree to disagree, because if you wanted to go on I would show you that the Ravens played teams that could not run the ball the first 5 weeks of last year. Indianapolis, Tennessee, NY Jets, Detroit, and Cleveland. Of those 5 offenses, only ONE was in the top 5 of rushing at the end of the season. Only ONE was in the top 10 of rushing at the end of the season. Only TWO were in the top 15 of rushing at the end of the season. Only TWO were in the top 20 of rushing at the end of the season. Get what im saying? The Ravens Defense played no-body's the first 5 games. So yeah anyway. Lets agree to disagree.

801959[/snapback]

I think no matter what, we'd both just keep pulling out more stats, rofl.

801957[/snapback]

They're 4-1 and they crushed the Bengals on the road. True they haven't been impressive elsewhere, but if you just take away a team's best win when the season is 5 weeks old, here are each team's next best win respectively:

Broncos - home vs. Ravens

Ravens - @Tampa

Bears - @Minnesota

Bengals - @KC

Chargers - @Oakland

Iggles - @SF

Colts - home vs. Jags

Also, I don't know why people act like the Jets game was such a nailbiter. They went up 24-0 and when they needed to ice the game up 7 they drove downfield, killed all but 30 seconds off the clock and had a FG blocked.

when the Bears or Indy or Eagles or Chargers.....actually win something, then maybe I will annoint them the best team in the NFL.

Until then, they are simply contenders.

But for my money, the best teamn in the NFL over the long haul these past few yaers have been the Patriots, although that appears to be changing.

when the Bears or Indy or Eagles or Chargers.....actually win something, then maybe I will annoint them the best team in  the NFL.

Until then, they are simply contenders.

But for my money, the best teamn in the NFL over the long haul these past few yaers have been the Patriots, although that appears to be changing.

802648[/snapback]

That changed last year when they didnt make it through 2 rounds of the playoffs ...