If you were the owner what upgrades would you ...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you extended the upper deck around the end zones you'd never have a game on TV because the capacity would prob be around 100,000

I have just a few things...

Bigger HD Scoreboard

Ribbon board that goes around the stadium

Larger out of town scoreboard

Better sound system...HSBC arena has like twice the speakers the Ralph does

Lastly....PAINT THE ENDZONES!!!

I agree build a downtown stadium with ample parking, hotels, eating establishments and shuttle lots that allow for people coming from South, North and east of the stadium.  make sure ya consider that prior to game ya need to shuttle all traffic toward stadium and after game away from the satdium. Make it a retractable dome so ya can bid for the superbowl in 2011 or beyond.

800651[/snapback]

The only way I would support a downtown stadium is if there was ample outdoor tailgating space and they don't have a domes stadium. The good news is that downtown acreage isn't all that pricey compared to many cosmopolitan areas like New York, Chicago, etc.

I live in Atlanta, and tailgating is practically non-existent for Falcons games. There's just not much in the way of outdoor parking lots, greenspace, etc., in which to tailgate. They encourage use of mass transit and downtown parking decks/garages. I can't imagine not having the pre-game festivities that are part of the WNY Bills experience.

The beauty of tailgating is that even during the inevitable "off years" when the team is in rebuilding mode, tailgating ensures a fun day at the stadium with fellow fans, regardless of the game's outcome.

As for domes - I HATE THEM.

I'm not typically claustrophobic, but it just doesn't seem natural being under this oversized circus tent cover. Besides, late season games in the cold are part of the homefield advantage the Bills enjoy over teams coming from more temperate climates.

When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us!!!

I love what Oakland is proposing for their new stadium, and it is something that would work very well in Buffalo.

The owners of the A's, Lewis Wolff and the owner of The Gap, are going to finance the new A's stadium privately. They will do this by buying up land around a proposed stadium site. In fact, they have been quitely buying upto 140 plus acres in Freemont, CA and plan to put residential and commercial developments on this land. All proceeds will go into the development and building of the new A's stadium. Included in the stadium, are condo's for sale in Center field.

Now, imagine a brand new stadium in Downtown Buffalo, most likely east of Dunn Tire Park, with a mall/hotels/homes or apartments/condos around the stadium. All within walking distance to a brand new, state of the art retractable roof stadium? And the option exists where 50 or so condos will be available for sale to where your living room has a end–zone view of whatever event is going on inside the stadium? Be it a Bills game, Motocross event, SuperBowl?

I know this is just a very speculative post, but this is a great idea that the A's are doing, and is something that a team like the Bills could develop on their own, and give what Bills fans deserve. A stadium that meets the quality of the fans that support them.

Oh. And with The Ralph, I would take off the upper deck, and have a new UB Stadium.

And the option exists where 50 or so condos will be available for sale to where your living room has a end–zone view of whatever event is going on inside the stadium?  Be it a Bills game, Motocross event, SuperBowl? 

800791[/snapback]

I know if I had the money, that would be of interest for me. Even if I didn't live there, it would be good for business's to entertain clients.

Rather than improve it, I ould abandon it because I think I cam get a better deal from the state if I float a proposal for the state to issue a bond to build a new stadium located in downtown Buffalo.

The NYJ proposal failed in part because voters in WNY saw nothing in it for them, a bond issue if subjected to referendum would have a lot of support out here as even those who have more interest in the Philharmonic than football should support downstate where the revenues are generated byy the far greater population and Wall Steet up this way.

A vote downstate is going to be a close thing, but if they sell this as when WNY gets there's it will lay the groundwork for downstate to get there's those who support the Manhattan deal or some other stadium will be saleable in campaign which has support from the major political players.

I think that WNY would be able to secure a situation where the Bills agree and in fact want to stay in a new stadium for the forseeable future rather than us having to cut some shorter team deal with a buyout in case Ralph gets called home if we simply redo the last deal but add new improvements to the current stadium.

800465[/snapback]

I would throw up if they put a stadium in downtown ... its hard to get into HSBC sometimes with 20,000 fans ... imagine it with 80,000 and your talking about killing tailgating.

If you extended the upper deck around the end zones you'd never have a game on TV because the capacity would prob be around 100,000

I have just a few things...

Bigger HD Scoreboard

Ribbon board that goes around the stadium

Larger out of town scoreboard

Better sound system...HSBC arena has like twice the speakers the Ralph does

Lastly....PAINT THE ENDZONES!!!

800768[/snapback]

Yes but Individual Seats take up about 1 1/2 the ammount of room that bleachers do and I would also space them out a tiny bit to give people leg room. The capacity wouldnt change by more than 3,000 or so .... and hopefully with the new stadium the people would come :doh:

Rip down the scoreboard and have the the upper decks joined on the closed end zone side.  An aerial view will have it look like the horseshoe in Columbus, Oh.

Then, ask the Baltimore Ravens where they purchased their huge arse scoreboards and plant one on the outside of the tunnel end zone.

:doh:

800902[/snapback]

So you basically copied my ideas :(

Anyway . Check out the Eagles scoreboard. It seriously stretches through about 4 sections ...

http://www.lincolnfinancialfield.com/uploa.../Scoreboard.jpg

AND

http://www.seatdata.com/images/venue_linco...ples/sample.jpg

THAT is a HUGE friggin scoreboard. Stick that right above where the Suites are in the Tunnel endzone (above the andre reed suite area)

First, a new replay screen. It is without question the worst in the history of Western civilization. Its like trying to watch replays on a Lite-Brite. Shadow puppets would be better.

800792[/snapback]

I know other teams have better scoreboards, but, seriously, do you remember the old monochrome scoreboard ("here's the replay on the scoreboard ...")

I would guess most of us who remember the first Rich Stadium scoreboard don't place as high of an importance on the scoreboard being HD and such. The old scoreboard was literally watching LiteBrite while being color blind.

I know if I had the money, that would be of interest for me. Even if I didn't live there, it would be good for business's to entertain clients.

Have you actually watched the Bills play the last 6 years? :doh:

:( Good one, VA. Painful, but still funny in a warped kind of way...

(Of course, one could reasonably question how many of the current suite occupants actually watch the games in between visits to the bar and/or buffet. Not all of 'em are like that, but there are definitely some who wouldn't be able to tell you who Buffalo was playing that day...)

I know other teams have better scoreboards, but, seriously, do you remember the old monochrome scoreboard ("here's the replay on the scoreboard ...")

I would guess most of us who remember the first Rich Stadium scoreboard don't place as high of an importance on the scoreboard being HD and such.  The old scoreboard was literally watching LiteBrite while being color blind.

TreeSweet OJ ads! Just barely remember that amber board from my first couple of trips up there. Also remember the first "color" scoreboard that didn't HAVE replay capability. But while the current RWS board is an improvement over what it replaced, there's still no comparing it with the new ones. I can live without a ribbon board, but a nice big hi-def board above BOTH endzones should be high on the list of upgrades.

The only way I would support a downtown stadium is if there was ample outdoor tailgating space and they don't have a domes stadium. The good news is that downtown acreage isn't all that pricey compared to many cosmopolitan areas like New York, Chicago, etc.

I live in Atlanta, and tailgating is practically non-existent for Falcons games.  There's just not much in the way of outdoor parking lots, greenspace, etc., in which to tailgate. They encourage use of mass transit and downtown parking decks/garages.  I can't imagine not having the pre-game festivities that are part of the WNY Bills experience.

The beauty of tailgating is that even during the inevitable "off years" when the team is in rebuilding mode, tailgating ensures a fun day at the stadium with fellow fans, regardless of the game's outcome.

800771[/snapback]

I would be very against a downtown stadium for the exact reasons you stated. I went to a Carolina Panthers game once and the tailgating was almost non existent. The little tailgating I did see, I'm not sure would even be considered tailgating because it was so pathetic. I dont really like to be surrounded by tall buildings and an urban environment before I go to a football game. How about putting a new stadium half way between Buffalo and Rochester. .. But in all seriousness, people that want to have a stadium downtown need to go to another NFL stadium that has a similar set up. I bet most would NOT like it at all.

I would be very against a downtown stadium for the exact reasons you stated.  I went to a Carolina Panthers game once and the tailgating was almost non existent.  The little tailgating I did see, I'm not sure would even be considered tailgating because it was so pathetic.  I dont really like to be surrounded by tall buildings and an urban environment before I go to a football game.  How about putting a new stadium half way between Buffalo and Rochester. .. But in all seriousness, people that want to have a stadium downtown need to go to another NFL stadium that has a similar set up.  I bet most would NOT like it at all.

801684[/snapback]

I get the fact that tailgating is an important part of the game experience, yet having a downtown stadium, you encourage development around the stadium. I could see myself having a couple of beers and a meal at a local pub, then going to the stadium, rather than grilling in the parking lot.

HSBC not withstanding...