DJ and the dumb calls.

Rayzer32

Does DJ get some sort of bonus for calling a successful fake FG or punt? At the least, the jackass could call them during better situations. All his trick plays have been major game changers. I still think the Bears would have beat us, but why give them any more help than they need. His timing blows.

Does DJ get some sort of bonus for calling a successful fake FG or punt?  At the least, the jackass could call them during better situations.  All his trick plays have been major game changers.  I still think the Bears would have beat us, but why give them any more help than they need.  His timing blows.

798992[/snapback]

Look, this game was far out of reach for us before it even started. If the Bills could have opened the game with a TD...especially one that resulted from a trick play...it would have done wonders for their morale, emotions, confidence, etc...

It would have been great if it had worked, but it didn't. Oh well. It's not like we lost by 7. 33 POINTS!!! You think THAT was game changing?

Does DJ get some sort of bonus for calling a successful fake FG or punt?  At the least, the jackass could call them during better situations.  All his trick plays have been major game changers.  I still think the Bears would have beat us, but why give them any more help than they need.  His timing blows.

798992[/snapback]

I assume you are referring to the fumbled fake punt to begin the game, but this call does not freak me out at all. Quite frankly, the Bills were beaten today by a team which is better than they are at every phase of the game (on O, as long as Grossman is healthy he is a better QB than JP and the D provides enough positional benefits that if their game is cooking the O can be brilliant- on D the Bears are simply one of the best in the NFL and their ST unit has been clicking and getting outstanding kicking).

They had to get momentum early in order to win this game on the road. They actually got off to the game start they wanted, but simply failed to hit the long pass to Evans, failed to run on short yardage for the first. amd then failed to convert a faked punt which if the announcers were correct was well designed and called and would have went for a first if they had gotten the snap correct.

If anything, while generally I like teams that are aggressive, I thought the go-for-it call on 4th and 1 where Daimon Shelton played poorly doing an unforced false startwas a lot more questionable than the fake punt call.

I I do prefer aggressive teams generally and I was happy to see DJ have the team go for it on 4th and 1 against NE in the first game. However, I did not realize at the time how much better the Bears were than us, and I was thinking that the aggressive move might have been to ask Moorman to pin them deep in their end and look for our D to begin winning the positional game.

This move would have not played to the Bears strength which would be getting an even short yardage 1st down against their D and instead play to a strngth of ours getting our Pro Bowl kicker to seal them deep and then require their O to make plays.

Instead, I think that the fake punt call had a better chance of succeeding on 4th down than a run up the middle.

The Bills got their taled whipped primarily on the field today anf DJ calling a more conservative game would not have made the difference from all I saw.

First of all, it was a crappy snap that Moorman had to reach low for. That didn't help. It was risky because of field position. This also wasn't the first time he has had a trick play backfire on him this year either.

Let's teach this team how to play smart, mistake free football before getting cute. The Bills abviously aren't good enough yet to try gimmicks.

Let's teach this team how to play smart, mistake free football before getting cute.  The Bills abviously aren't good enough yet to try gimmicks.

799029[/snapback]

That makes zero sense. You're supposed to try gimmicks when you're the inferior team.

That makes zero sense.  You're supposed to try gimmicks when you're the inferior team.

799031[/snapback]

I never knew that was a written rule somewhere. Thanks for clearing that up for me. And why do I not see this from other "inferior" teams every week. And yes, I do get to see most games every week.

I never knew that was a written rule somewhere.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  And why do I not see this from other "inferior" teams every week.  And yes, I do get to see most games every week.

799038[/snapback]

You must've missed the 5,000 onside kicks various teams have tried against the Colts for the last 3 years.

You must've missed the 5,000 onside kicks various teams have tried against the Colts for the last 3 years.

799041[/snapback]

Onside kicks aren't really trick plays or gimmicks. They happen quite often and the opponent almost always knows when they are coming. That is a senseless point.

Rayzer ... its not just you, but I think that no matter what happens someone is going to blame Jauron ... and Jauron seems to be the best coach we have had since Marv

799047[/snapback]

I like DJ as well, but let's just play football and give these guys some confidence. That was an early time in the game to take the wind out of the sails IMO.

Right, ok.

799046[/snapback]

You're telling me you sit there watching a game and are surprised when there is an onside kick? You must be kidding. Onside kicks are practiced much more regularly than trick plays.

You're telling me you sit there watching a game and are surprised when there is an onside kick?  You must be kidding.  Onside kicks are practiced much more regularly than trick plays.

799053[/snapback]

No, no I'm not kidding. You're making a ridiculous argument that would never be made outside of the face-saving backpedalling world that is the internet.

No, no I'm not kidding.  You're making a ridiculous argument that would never be made outside of the face-saving backpedalling world that is the internet.

799074[/snapback]

Ok tough guy. I'll have this argument anywhere you want me too. Idiot. It's an opinionated board. These things happen on here whether you agree or not.

Actually, IMO that fake punt was the best call of the entire game, and the evidence was the 59:30 of the rest of the game. The only way the Bills were ever going to win this game was to convert plays like that. They are not yet in the Bears league. They were on the road against the hottest team in the league. Does anyone anywhere think that if they just punted the Bears would not have blown us out? That was a GREAT call, and it just didn't work because the players blew it not the coaches. It was one of the only ways the Bills could have won this game.

Actually, IMO that fake punt was the best call of the entire game, and the evidence was the 59:30 of the rest of the game. The only way the Bills were ever going to win this game was to convert plays like that. They are not yet in the Bears league. They were on the road against the hottest team in the league. Does anyone anywhere think that if they just punted the Bears would not have blown us out? That was a GREAT call, and it just didn't work because the players blew it not the coaches. It was one of the only ways the Bills could have won this game.

799088[/snapback]

Agreed.

799088[/snapback]

I agree. It's not really a trick play though because they practiced it.

799088[/snapback]

If it works it's a great call. Apparently though it wasn't a planned, it was a broken play. We may never know what happened.

I agree.  It's not really a trick play though because they practiced it.

799090[/snapback]

I take it you failed reading comprehension in school? Try reading my points over again because you are WAY off line.

You're telling me you sit there watching a game and are surprised when there is an onside kick?  You must be kidding.  Onside kicks are practiced much more regularly than trick plays.

799053[/snapback]

So when we got that onside kick against Minnesota, the one that was waved off by that fair catch penalty, you weren't surprised? Knew that was coming, did you?

A play is a play. Execute it.

What a series though... 2nd and one on the Bear 42... a throwaway bomb that surprises nobody... Willis for no gain... Shelton moves early ... a fake punt ?

Felt to me then like a gambler throwing good money after bad. In retrospect, kudos to Jauron for goosing a team that probably needed it. For a supposedly conservative guy with an anti-turnover fetish, that was quite a call.