Quote from The Genius

On how the Dolphin's coaching must get better......."I can make my two or three mistakes, you make your two or three, and you make your two or three. The cumulative effect of that is there are too many bad plays. There has to be a chemistry and karma in what we're doing and in the players doing it together and developing confidence"

KARMA - wtf??

Watching Saban crash and burn has been the most gratifying thing of the season for me, even more than the Bills improvement.

He's basically turning into yet another former college hotshot coach who can't get it done in the pros. Steve Spurrier and Dennis Erickson, anyone?

On how the Dolphin's coaching must get better......."I can make my two or three mistakes, you make your two or three, and you make your two or three. The cumulative effect of that is there are too many bad plays. There has to be a chemistry and karma in what we're doing and in the players doing it together and developing confidence"

KARMA - wtf??

793741[/snapback]

prolem is that he left meathead out of his equation. He can skew any statistical analysis all by himself.

I think Saban is a good coach as evidenced from his success at LSU...

However, what he has in Miami is a old roster. The defense is a year older

than last year....Their front seven is older by a year. Their secondary is

very weak after sending of Madison and Surtain. Their rookies have not

made much contribution. Culpeper is still not 100% back. The OL is very

weak and has no continuity. The expectations bar was set way too high for

them. Finally, they have made quite a few questionable coaching calls.

Watching Saban crash and burn has been the most gratifying thing of the season for me, even more than the Bills improvement.

He's basically turning into yet another former college hotshot coach who can't get it done in the pros.  Steve Spurrier and Dennis Erickson, anyone?

793745[/snapback]

College coaches hardly ever translate well into succesful professional coaches. The reason I think for this is best summarized in a quote from former Utah men's basketball coach Rick Marjerus.

He said, "I'll always coach at the collegiate level because coaching in the pros is like being a step father: all the responsibility with no authority."

I was a huge Saban fan, but his decisions in the past year (particularly hiring Mularkey!) make me wonder. He isn't making the best personnel decisions in getting players, and he sure isn't winning football games. I suspect Nick will be in a lot of trouble if he doesn't turn things around...and with MM I don't think he will be able to turn things around.

He's basically turning into yet another former college hotshot coach who can't get it done in the pros.  Steve Spurrier and Dennis Erickson, anyone?

793745[/snapback]

Indeed... What people forget about college coaches is that most top colleges play perhaps 1/3 of their games against teams that can actually challenge them; most of the time the games are decided before kickoff thanks to the talent disparity. Once a program has success, it can load up on good recruits, and virtually guarantee its dominance for years.

This is also why it is so hard to judge college QBs, but that is another story line...

Anyway, it is certainly possible for a good college coach to be successful in the NFL (JJ comes to mind), but if a college coach is brought into a situation where he does not have a huge talent advantage, it is by no means clear that he will be able to duplicate his success, and these days with the salary cap and free agency, there is no way to entrench the team as a powerhouse.

Nevertheless, so many football journalists choose to avoid such basic realities in their drive to hype college coaches into the NFL....

EDIT: Windy's quote is right on as well.

Anyway, it is certainly possible for a good college coach to be successful in the NFL (JJ comes to mind)

793948[/snapback]

JJ had that rare opportunity (thanks to the Herschel Walker trade) to "be a college coach at the NFL level" when he coached the Cowboys. In other words, he was able to build a "Jimmy Johnson team" really quickly with 6 extra draft picks. Note his relative lack of success later with the Dolphins...

JJ had that rare opportunity (thanks to the Herschel Walker trade) to "be a college coach at the NFL level" when he coached the Cowboys.  In other words, he was able to build a "Jimmy Johnson team" really quickly with 6 extra draft picks.  Note his relative lack of success later with the Dolphins...

793958[/snapback]

Very true. He was also fortunate to have a couple of Hall of Famers among those pics. I know just what you mean about how he proved unable to duplicate that success.... I have made that argument myself a few times, that is the Johnson Corollary to the Bill Parcells Law of Diminishing Returns... :P

I posted about it on here after Saban's very first press conference as Dolphins head coach, and I feel the same way today....he's a moron. He talks a lot and says very little. He's totally full of himself and is in over his head as a coach in the NFL.

Barry Switzer > Nick Saban