Keys to yesterday's victory

Wow, you'd think at least one local sports writer would notice some of these things, but apparently not, so here goes...

The biggest key to yesterday's victory was TACKLING. The Bills' D might have missed one tackle the entire game (Nate Clements, on the Vikings' last drive). Otherwise, tackling was the best I've seen in a long time. This was crucial for the game plan, which allowed the Vikings to complete short passes but didn't let them get any RAC whatsoever. IMO this is the biggest improvement over last year's D, and a lot of it has to do with Milloy and Vincent being gone, sorry to say. I love how there are lots of guys running to the ball on every play.

The second-biggest key was Losman's third-down accuracy. I may be wrong, but I thought I saw a stat yesterday that said that Losman has the best third-down accuracy of any QB in the League this year. God, I am surprised and impressed by this kid's progress, which shows up most noticeably on third downs. On a few key plays yesterday, Losman got rid of the ball with pressure in his face before the WR even made his break, and the ball was right where it was supposed to be. This PROVES that Losman knows the playbook - he knew where his WRs were supposed to be at key times. Losman is proving to me that he can put this team on his shoulders - yesterday's special teams were AWFUL, and the running game was good, but not good enough to win the game. Losman won the game yesterday by keeping drives going on third downs.

Finally, the Bills' third-down defense was spectacular yesterday, mainly due to passrush and solid coverage. However, the stats are misleading - the key to the third-down defense is FIRST-down defense, where the Bills really earned their stripes yesterday. Somehow, the Bills were able to shoot the right gaps on first-down to stiffle a very good running game. That resulted in a lot of third and longs, which the Vikings' offense simply is not built for.

Wow, you'd think at least one local sports writer would notice some of these things, but apparently not, so here goes...

The biggest key to yesterday's victory was TACKLING.  The Bills' D might have missed one tackle the entire game (Nate Clements, on the Vikings' last drive).  Otherwise, tackling was the best I've seen in a long time.  This was crucial for the game plan, which allowed the Vikings to complete short passes but didn't let them get any RAC whatsoever.  IMO this is the biggest improvement over last year's D, and a lot of it has to do with Milloy and Vincent being gone, sorry to say.  I love how there are lots of guys running to the ball on every play.

The second-biggest key was Losman's third-down accuracy.  I may be wrong, but I thought I saw a stat yesterday that said that Losman has the best third-down accuracy of any QB in the League this year.  God, I am surprised and impressed by this kid's progress, which shows up most noticeably on third downs.  On a few key plays yesterday, Losman got rid of the ball with pressure in his face before the WR even made his break, and the ball was right where it was supposed to be.  This PROVES that Losman knows the playbook - he knew where his WRs were supposed to be at key times.  Losman is proving to me that he can put this team on his shoulders - yesterday's special teams were AWFUL, and the running game was good, but not good enough to win the game.  Losman won the game yesterday by keeping drives going on third downs.

Finally, the Bills' third-down defense was spectacular yesterday, mainly due to passrush and solid coverage.  However, the stats are misleading - the key to the third-down defense is FIRST-down defense, where the Bills really earned their stripes yesterday.  Somehow, the Bills were able to shoot the right gaps on first-down to stiffle a very good running game.  That resulted in a lot of third and longs, which the Vikings' offense simply is not built for.

792743[/snapback]

You are not wrong I saw that same stat as well....JP Losman...OUR JP Losman is the highest rated 3rd down passer in the LEAGUE.

That is huge.....it says that when the pressure is on (which is 3rd down) JP Losman steps up and delivers.....I get SOOO tired of hearing from people about JPL's "lack of poise"...you DONT lead the league in 3rd down percentage and have lack of poise.....this is the kind of stat you would expect from a Tom Brady or a Payton Manning......

JPL is converting his 3rd downs and sustaining drives

Not really.  We're like 5th from the bottom in 3rd down conversion percentage.

792788[/snapback]

That may have more to do with runs that are stopped short of the mark. As far as JP's completion % on third down, according to TV anyway, he is currently #1.

Edit: 1st in completion %, not conversion %.....