Pooch Kick Ruling - - Were we robbed?

Matt in KC

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So what do you propose that the refs due from January (or Feb) through July?  Sit and read books?  Hockey refs are full time employees, and they still miss calls (No Goal, No Goal 2, etc).  Football players are full-time as well, yet they frequently make mistakes.  It's human nature, and I don't think making people full time is going to change that at all.

I'd also add that it's a very tough job -- sign up to do highschool and see for yourself 0:)

CW

792663[/snapback]

The answer is YES! Make them read the NFL rule book and basical football officiating and then test them every friggin month to make sure there reading. Officiating (and that call specifically) is not a skill position. Its simply based on knowledge. It was originally ruled our ball, so they had to huddle for 5 minutes to CHANGE the call. Thats just knowledge. You would think that those 4 or 5 (cant remember how many) refs out there, one of them would know the rule.

So to answer your question - YES!

That lineman was not calling for a fair catch.  I don't know exactly what he was doing when he put his hand in the air, but I guarantee you he was not calling for a fair catch.

792088[/snapback]

I think he was calling a fair catch. A lame attempt, but he was.

we full time refs who take a lie detector test

more refs so they can keep up with the game

refs who are accountable for their actions

someone who has a rule book e.g. fair catch call must be fully viewable not someone who is waving with his pinky finger. Seems to me the ref didn't know what to do, so when in doubt, "just give it to him".

You say lame, the league used to call it "illegal"

At the least, the Vikes should have been penalized 5 yards for an improper fair catch signal. At best, it was Buffalo ball. Those are the only two options given how that play happened.

The answer is YES! Make them read the NFL rule book and basical football officiating and then test them every friggin month to make sure there reading. Officiating (and that call specifically) is not a skill position. Its simply based on knowledge. It was originally ruled our ball, so they had to huddle for 5 minutes to CHANGE the call. Thats just knowledge. You would think that those 4 or 5 (cant remember how many) refs out there, one of them would know the rule.

So to answer your question - YES!

793129[/snapback]

They're already tested. Your proposal won't help anything.

Again, I bring up the fact that NHL, NBA, and MLB refs are all full time but, surprise surprise, they still screw up as well.

It's no different than a WR who runs the wrong route even though it's' their full time job. I'd also venture to guess that you yourself have made a mistake or two on your job. It's called being human.

CW

They're already tested.  Your proposal won't help anything.

Again, I bring up the fact that NHL, NBA, and MLB refs are all full time but, surprise surprise, they still screw up as well.

It's no different than a WR who runs the wrong route even though it's' their full time job.  I'd also venture to guess that you yourself have made a mistake or two on your job.  It's called being human.

CW

793201[/snapback]

I dont think you are understanding my point. There is a different between being full time because there are so many games, and being full time because its your job to know the playbook inside and out.

And yes - I have made mistakes at my job. But guess what - my job does not affect the lives of 53 players, some odd number of coaches, an owner and a million-billion dollar business.

Also. A few mistakes are acceptable. But mistake after mistake after mistake is not acceptable. They should stick an NFL Referee Expert in the booth and whenever a SIGNIFICANT play is calling wrong, he should buz down and change that play. He would have th knowledge and the rulebook with him, and also multiple camera views. Im not talking about him changing false starts or offsides but if there is a 60 yard pass interference that would put the team on the 1 yard line and it was definately not a pass interference or if the play would forfeit the ball to another team. As I said - SIGNIFANCT plays should have something done.

Its simple. Something needs to change. I bet if we lost the game by a few points we would be even more outraged that we didnt have the ball at their 40 yard line.