Half An Offensive Line???

R. Rich

He was sacked 3 times: 2 by Rhodes on a safety blitz and a failed bootleg. None of those sacks fall on the O-line.

Are you telling me you blame the failed bootleg on JP? :D

788603[/snapback]

I wouldn't "blame" anyone. It was a solid veteran play by Hamilton to not chase the RB down the line and to stick to his responsibility (the QB). Sucked for us that he didn't bite on fake.

Are you telling me you blame the failed bootleg on JP? :D

788603[/snapback]

I wouldn't "blame" anyone. It was a solid veteran play by Hamilton to not chase the RB down the line and to stick to his responsibility (the QB). Sucked for us that he didn't bite on fake.

788609[/snapback]

Rich - off topic - what's your take to date on the Ravens? My tv and cable listing had last Sunday's game vs CLE slated, but it was cut to my dismay.

3 and 0, nice start.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll do it here again. I really don't think the whole unit across the board are good runblockers.  There's a staggering difference between runs to the left side of the line and runs to the right.

McGahee rush stats to each part of the line avg in bold

Wide Right 3  7 1 0.0 0.1 0

Right 3  21 56 0.0 2.7 0

Middle 3  16 78 0.0 4.9 0

Left 3  24 161 0.0 6.7 0

Wide Left 3  3 15 0.0 5.0 0

So either someone is a real liability run blocking on the right side of the line, or Mike Gandy and Reyes are superior run blockers.

788454[/snapback]

Or the players on one side for the Jets were far superior to the other side, or we had a better match up of the players on our left against their players than we had on the right.

Your stats I assume are correct but the conclusion that you draw from it that our players are a liability may be reversed next game if the skills of which side the defenders play well is reversed.

In addition, if by liability you mean they are not good players that is also a conclusion which cannot be drawn without some assessment of their opponents.

Taking players who we know to demonstrate this point, let's assume that your LT is Orlamdo Pace and he is a better player than your RT Jason Peters (again this is simply a hypothetical to make a point). However. let's say that on a given Sunday, Pace was facing an opposing LDE who performs like Bruce Smith while Peters faces off against an RDE who is the player equivalent of a Chidi Ahanatou.

Do you think it is legit to draw a conclusion from your team running better to the right against Ahanatou that Peters is a better offensive player than Pace and Pace is a liability because you ran worse to his side or lets say he gave up a sack to Bruce.

The stats being correct does not necessarily mean that any conclusion which MAY explain them is also correct. the stats are appreciated by this reader, but it is going to take a lot more analysis and game description to make a conclusion which should be accepted.

Its this type of superficial analysis that saw folks predicting DDDOOOMMM for the Bills because they even legitimitately judge our shortcomings, ut then draw conclusions about what our record will be without taking into account that we are facing opponents like Houston, Detroit and TN who not only had worse records than us last year generally but suck really bad with their off-season problems.

One thing I would like to see from this OL is to take less support from the TE and free him up to take catches in the middle. Gandy needs to be able to protect the left side by himself. That would allows us to include Everett and Royal in the passing game, something that is lacking today.

One thing I would like to see from this OL is to take less support from the TE and free him up to take catches in the middle.  Gandy needs to be able to protect the left side by himself.  That would allows us to include Everett and Royal in the passing game, something that is lacking today.

788694[/snapback]

On the catch Royal had against the Jets, he was wide open. It would be nice if we could get more out of the TEs in the passing game. That could really open things up for Parrish, Price, Reed, and Evans.

Are you telling me you blame the failed bootleg on JP?

If he doesn't, I might be willing to. Everybody did their job and even though Hamilton did his as well, I din't think he'd have kept Losman out of the endzone if JP hadn't fungoed up his footwork on the fake. It cost him the extra halfsecond that Hamilton needed to get upfield and blow up the play. Losman executes perfectly and he probably walks into the endzone untouched.

One thing I would like to see from this OL is to take less support from the TE and free him up to take catches in the middle.

Oddly enough, one of my few complaints about Fairchild is his reluctance to give JP what I would consider adequate protection. I don't think he uses the TE's in this manner enough. Weird how 2 folks can have such varying perspectives, eh?

Oddly enough, one of my few complaints about Fairchild is his reluctance to give JP what I would consider adequate protection. I don't think he uses the TE's in this manner enough. Weird how 2 folks can have such varying perspectives, eh?

789047[/snapback]

That is even worse for this offense. Considering that Royal is primarily a extra blocker and we still cannot provide protection....then we really have a bad LT.