ACC- Completely done?

smokinandjokin

What a disappointment this conference is. Miami and FSU played another stinker in the opener, and then the Seminoles were down to Troy State late in the 2nd half in their next game, before eeking out a 24-17 win. Preseason BCS dark-horse Clemson fell to previously unranked Boston College in their ACC opener. Even the Big Least has gotten in on the act, with Rutgers beating Virginia, and WVU absolutely manhandling Maryland. Louisville looks to continue the trend, as they are favored at home this weekend against the U, even without their star tailback. Georgia Tech played big against Notre Dame, but couldn't get it done. Wake Forest is 2-0, barely knocking off powerhouses Syracuse and Duke. Honestly, if Virginia Tech has half a team, they should coast into the conference title game. Look at their schedule:

09/02 N'eastern W 38-0

09/09 at UNC W 35-10

09/16 Duke 12:00 PM

09/23 Cincy 12:00 PM

09/30 Ga Tech TBD

10/12 at #23 BC 7:30 PM

10/21 So Miss 1:30 PM

10/26 Clemson 7:45 PM

11/04 at #17 Miami TBD

11/11 Kent St 1:30 PM

11/18 at W Forest TBD

11/25 Virginia TBD

Don't forget, Florida State was the BCS rep last year even after losing 4 of their last 6 regular season games (beating only Duke and Maryland.) They played big against VT in the conference final before falling to Penn State in the Orange Bowl.

What a disappointment this conference is.  Miami and FSU played another stinker in the opener, and then the Seminoles were down to Troy State late in the 2nd half in their next game, before eeking out a 24-17 win.  Preseason BCS dark-horse Clemson fell to previously unranked Boston College in their ACC opener.  Even the Big Least has gotten in on the act, with Rutgers beating Virginia, and WVU absolutely manhandling Maryland.  Louisville looks to continue the trend, as they are favored at home this weekend against the U, even without their star tailback.  Georgia Tech played big against Notre Dame, but couldn't get it done.  Wake Forest is 2-0, barely knocking off powerhouses Syracuse and Duke.  Honestly, if Virginia Tech has half a team, they should coast into the conference title game.  Look at their schedule:

Don't forget, Florida State was the BCS rep last year even after losing 4 of their last 6 regular season games (beating only Duke and Maryland.)  They played big against VT in the conference final before falling to Penn State in the Orange Bowl.

773763[/snapback]

The Seminoles I think are the big disappointment this year. I thought they'd be the class of the ACC.

That being said, it's down to Florida State and Va Tech this year in the ACC. Whoever wins out will be in the championship hunt.

Really, college football this year outside the SEC and possibly the Big 10 is about one team from each conference, and a bunch of followers.

I thought the SEC was overrated last year with the amount of press attention they were receiving. This year, though, there is no doubt how good the conference is.

Ahhh, I didn't look it up...I heard it from the announcers last night during the WVU-MD game.  It's my own fault for trusting...

774118[/snapback]

WVU looks tough this year. What do you think? WHite and Slaton look like an unbeatable combo.

Rutgers has a good chance of finishing 2nd in the conference. I don't think they can beat WVU, but they have a good chance to be ahead of Louisville.

WVU looks tough this year. What do you think? WHite and Slaton look like an unbeatable combo.

Rutgers has a good chance of finishing 2nd in the conference. I don't think they can beat WVU, but they have a good chance to be ahead of Louisville.

774128[/snapback]

I said it way back when, in the original predictions thread on June 26th, that WVU would run the table:

The team I think has a VERY good chance of going undefeated is West Virginia. They are a little under the radar on a national scale, but the Big East knows who they are. A huge win in a BCS bowl game last year- beating Georgia in Atlanta in the Sugar Bowl- could propel this team to a huge 2006.

I actually had money on Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. I figured playing in Atlanta, the SEC champ (they were only giving about 7) would blow the Big East champ outta the water. White and Slaton blew me out of the water. They are great, and so is their O-Line.

So yes, I agree, I don't think there's a team on their schedule that can beat WVU. Their defense is definitely the most suspect of the nationally ranked top-10, but their offense is like a freaking track meet. I suppose, if Slaton gets dinged up, and a team can take a two-possession lead into the 2nd half, we'd see if White can beat somebody with his arm. He hasn't had to prove that yet, but for a running QB, he looks pretty good when he throws it, from what I've seen.

I haven't seen any of Rutgers this season, but I liked them last year. They could easily finish 2nd...Louisville without Bush can be had, and Pitt is always maddening with their inconsistency. UConn was way down, had a nice run with Orlovsky at QB, but now it seems they are down again.

I haven't seen any of Rutgers this season, but I liked them last year.  They could easily finish 2nd...Louisville without Bush can be had, and Pitt is always maddening with their inconsistency.  UConn was way down, had a nice run with Orlovsky at QB, but now it seems they are down again.

774151[/snapback]

Rutgers has an awesome 1-2 RB combo in Brian Leonard and Ray Rice. Leonard is an amazing athlete. He will definately be drafted by the second round next year.

I just read the USF had a bunch of starters suspended for substance abuse, which helps RU.

Back to WVU. What do you think of Rich Rodriguez? Everything I've heard/read about him makes it seem like he in an a-hole. He likes to run up the score on people, which tends to get very annoying after awhile.

Rutgers has an awesome 1-2 RB combo in Brian Leonard and Ray Rice. Leonard is an amazing athlete. He will definately be drafted by the second round next year.

I just read the USF had a bunch of starters suspended for substance abuse, which helps RU.

774163[/snapback]

I'll catch them at some point soon, I watch a lot of CFB. I think I remember Leonard from last year...Does he wear #23?

Back to WVU. What do you think of Rich Rodriguez? Everything I've heard/read about him makes it seem like he in an a-hole. He likes to run up the score on people, which tends to get very annoying after awhile.

774163[/snapback]

I haven't really read or heard anything on RR, but he looks like an a-hole on the sidelines. Slaton has a decent shot at the Heismann because Rodriguez seems like he'll leave him in the game until he gets his 200-yds and 4 TDs.

Preseason BCS dark-horse Clemson fell to previously unranked Boston College in their ACC opener.

773763[/snapback]

What a kick in the head that was. Both of those teams are "fringe" top 25 and could dent any ACC pretender's record. There are losses out there for both the Seminoles and Tech that will further diminish the image of the conference.

And West Virginia-Maryland, what a story of program trajectories. Wasn't RR rumoured to be looking at other jobs because Morgantown was a tough sell in recruiting ? Wasn't Ralph Friedgen a hot new offensive genius ? The times, they do change. Louisville a favorite over Miami is more evidence of the shifting sands.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.