Barry Sanders highlight reel

Orton's Arm

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before: HATER! The Lions best running plays were DRAW plays to Barry. When Barry seen a whole he exploded through it and was on to the next level making defenders look silly. While he wouldn't be as effective following a FB through a specific gap, if you put him a system such as the Colts or Bronco's where they strecth out defnders and allowed Barry to find a crease he would have been unstoppable! The season in which his blocking was better that allowed him to get to the 2nd level, all he did was gain 2000 yards!

773820[/snapback]

You are something else. How can someone be a fan of a player be a hater also? I liked Barry sanders. All I pointed out was that he had 10 yards lost for every 100 yards gained. Thats all I was saying. Now if you look at most of Barry's long runs they were NOT draws. Most of the long runs were him taking the handoff and going backwards for 20 yards then forwards for 80.

AND 8 league rushing titles in 9 seasons

AND a ridiculous 5.2 career yard per rush average

AND a record 5 seasons leading the league in total yards

AND one 5 TD game

AND 4 games w/ 4 TDs

AND 1,000 or more yards in 7 of 9 seasons (back in the 12 game season days)

AND the first player to reach 100 rushing TDs in a career

AND he never missed a game in his career

Yeah, he was okay.

773743[/snapback]

:pirate: Never saw him play but any old-timer whose opinion is worth a damn says 'best ever without question', which is good enough for me.

Regardless, ya gotta love Rodney Peete (?) signalling the TD as Barry crosses the twenty with four defenders directly in front of him.

774026[/snapback]

I saw that...Hilarious! He was still behind the line of scrimmage, he just changed direction, he had 20 yards to go to the end zone, and Peete threw his arms up.

As I said before: HATER! The Lions best running plays were DRAW plays to Barry. When Barry seen a whole he exploded through it and was on to the next level making defenders look silly. While he wouldn't be as effective following a FB through a specific gap, if you put him a system such as the Colts or Bronco's where they strecth out defnders and allowed Barry to find a crease he would have been unstoppable! The season in which his blocking was better that allowed him to get to the 2nd level, all he did was gain 2000 yards!

773820[/snapback]

yeah that year he got 2056 he got 56 the first two games. The next 14 he got an even 2000. Making him and O.J. the only ones who can say that they did that in a 14 game span.

You're right, players are bigger, faster, and stronger now:  ALL players, meaning not only the defensive players chasing RBs, but the RBs themselves. 

Put Jim Brown in Barry Sanders' era, and he is trained the same way Barry Sanders is.  Considering how Jim Brown dominated his era (more than any RB has dominated ANY era), just imagine what he'd do in current times.  The guy was able to rush for over 1,800 yards in 1963, w/ the training available to him @ the time.  You think there's a chance that he could improve on that w/ the advancements made since then?

I don't "hate" on posts, I just have respect for the game, meaning not just the guys I see on TV, but those who paved their way.

773807[/snapback]

That's exactly it. Brown was 6-2, 232 and was the fastest player on the field in almost every game he played. He's had several people give interviews that he never worked out. That size is huge by TODAYS RB standard. It's crazy to think how far ahead of his time Brown was. Transplant 60's Jim Brown in todays game and he's still one of the best in the NFL.

That's exactly it. Brown was 6-2,  232 and was the fastest player on the field in almost every game he played. He's had several people give interviews that he never worked out. That size is huge by TODAYS RB standard. It's crazy to think how far ahead of his time Brown was. Transplant 60's Jim Brown in todays game and he's still one of the best in the NFL.

774659[/snapback]

I can't argue here. It is similar to the Babe Ruth vs. Barry Bonds research done in the baseball world. Jim Brown would have been a stud in today's game as well. He would have been in the weight room, and have a full time nutritionist (or Balco rep), and would flat out punish defenses. He would be very fun to watch, and an enormous star.

But I still think Barry has the edge. He made some of the most talented and agile athletes in the world look like eight year olds with his stop on a dime and explode in another direction stuff.

The guy played against the Bills, what, maybe four times in his career, and the entire first half of the reel is him slicing through, around, or over our D. The Bills really are highlight fodder for other teams, eh?

Regardless, ya gotta love Rodney Peete (?) signalling the TD as Barry crosses the twenty with four defenders directly in front of him.

774026[/snapback]

The game with all the snow was actually the season finale from one of the Super Bowl years when we had it locked up and took it real easy. That being said I am glad I was there to see him perform.

And I thought the exact same thing about Peete in the one clip.

I love when people say that something that can not be proven as fact ... such that Jim Brown would be a superstar even in these days.

774728[/snapback]

I agree. I've had it with these people and their opinions. There's no room for opinion on a place such as a message board.

Opinion means having room to be wrong. Fact implies that it is truth. Scan the above posts. Almost all of them are posted as fact.

774734[/snapback]

Seemed like a pretty normal thread to me....I think if someone saw Jim Brown play (which I never did), I am very interested to hear their take on how he'd fare against today's competition. We don't all come to the table with the same set of 'facts'. That's what makes this place so interesting, IMO. I enjoy hearing everyones perspective.....most of the time, anyway.

Seemed like a pretty normal thread to me....I think if someone saw Jim Brown play (which I never did), I am very interested to hear their take on how he'd fare against today's competition. We don't all come to the table with the same set of 'facts'. That's what makes this place so interesting, IMO. I enjoy hearing everyones perspective.....most of the time, anyway.

774739[/snapback]

It's similar to a discussion I had with a co-worker who is a big Dorsett fan and how he was so much faster than everbody on the field and no one could catch him and that there is no one playing today as fast and blah,blah,blah. I made a point that in today's NFL most of the team is as fast as Dorsett was and the reason he look so fast was that the other players were just slow. It's not like he ran a 3.5! At that time the fastest athletes were RB; now there are LB's who are just as fast as most RB's. I won't even mention the speed of today's DB's. It's like salaries: what was considered highly paid over the top 20 years ago is almost average today. The same with a fast player back in those days.