Insult to injury regarding the 4th and 1 play

Come on guys, in Gillette Stadium the Bills will never get that spot, ever.

Willis would have to have been clearly over the first down marker by at least a half a yard to get the first down.

RTB

771995[/snapback]

There would have been some ghost "holding" or "false start" call without giving a jersey # that would have nullified the 4th down.....Though that might have fallen in our favor, as then we would have gone and kicked the field goal.....

I have a theory here... the line judge will often be looking down the line to see exactly (according to him) where the ball was when the knee goes down. I think many of them are soooo accustomed to running backs stretching the ball out AFTER the initial knee down point (forward progress). The play here was different in my eyes because Willis actually gets the ball thrust forward BEFORE his knee hits. I really have a suspicion that that line judge didn't allow for what I believe was a good enough reach by McGahee to gain the first down. In other words, he made it and got a bad spot, pure and simple!!

I have a theory here... the line judge will often be looking down the line to see exactly (according to him) where the ball was when the knee goes down. I think many of them are soooo accustomed to running backs stretching the ball out AFTER the initial knee down point (forward progress). The play here was different in my eyes because Willis actually gets the ball thrust forward BEFORE his knee hits. I really have a suspicion that that line judge didn't allow for what I believe was a good  enough reach by McGahee to gain the first down. In other words, he made it and got a bad spot, pure and simple!!

772414[/snapback]

What makes this an easy play for a referee to botch is that McGahee lands awkwardly. Usually a runner's knee will hit the ground first and then the rest of his body will come down, and it's often in that split second after his knee hits but before the rest of his body hits that he'll reach the ball forward, and the extra reach is correctly subtracted from the spot. But look closely at the play. In this case, Willis did a great job of keeping his knee off the ground until the rest of his body came down, and the extra lunge forward came before he hit the ground, and he did get the first. At least thats what I see.

I can't get on the refs here though, its a very difficult call and easy to get wrong. In most cases that spot would've been correct, but Willis put forth a good effort to keep his knee up which I believe went unnoticed.

No, he didn't.

771925[/snapback]

Um, let those of us who know football educate you... the game we played in your stadium - yes the land of two free tickets with every Mach 3 purhcase - in 1998 singlehandedly brought back instant replay. So at least you have that going for you. I watched that game and the key play in question had your WR catching the ball so far out of bounds that the first thing he hit was a cameraman. Oh, he got one foot down, on the edge of the white out of bounds strip.

But I digress, I believe we got to hear boos at the end of the 2nd quarter at the stadium of the "die hard" and "dedicated", "best non-bandwagon fans" in the league. I thought that Pats fans were above such base behavior - according to you. Your own team, and it's fans, belie pretty much everything you said last week. Time to own up - your team is in decline and we will soon see the days of the aforementioned razor/tickets deal. You, your fans, and your team got their taste of what being a winning team is like - and honestly that's great. As I said before you will soon be the mere annoyance you have always been. Then we shall see the "dedication" your "die hard"(as though there are any) fans will display= easy ticket to get once more. Again, you always have the opportunity to prove me wrong. Knock yourself out - but you have to know - deep down - this will never be.

Reality bites - B word. Sorry - deal with it.