'Has anyone else ever had this happen' Redux

stevewin

An addendum to the Karma post earlier this week - this was my experience today...

Now that my kids are old enough and interested in watching the games with me, I now go to watch them at a place called Beef O'Brady's - which is basically a 'kid friendly bar' chain.

My daughter had basketball practice at 1:30 - so my wife and my daughter stayed for the kickoff, then went off to practice. Literally just after they walked out the door, the sack/TD play happened. Too bad they missed that, I thought. Through the first half I was feeling pretty good, but (being a Bills fan after all) was still nervous that at any moment doom may fall. So the second half starts and the Bills are driving and I'm starting to feel a little better (allowing myself to be cautiously optimistic!) and - this is the God's honest truth - my wife and daughter walk through the door just before Willis takes the handoff for the the 4th down play ("The Spot"). As the Dolphins started to drive down the field I started to feel my cautious optimism getting slowly sucked from my body.

As things continued to get worse, I turned to my wife and said "You have to leave". She just looked at me like I was an idiot and turned back to watch the game. Then a short while later another phantom penalty and I said again "I really think you should leave" - and then my son picked up on it as well "Yeah - you guys should leave - you're bringing bad luck!" - and now my wife was getting really annoyed and told us to shut up.

So on it continues until the transfusion of optimism to doom is complete. I glumly watch the Patriots drive down the field until it is 4th and two (having long before made that critical decision to stop drinking so as to mitigate the potential drunken depression after a loss). My wife says to me "What do you think they'll do?????". "They'll go for it", I say, "They'll go for it and make it. Because <bitter sarcasm on> Bellichek's a genius <bitter sarcasm off>" . At this point I get up to go to the bathroom, do my business, walk out the bathroom timed perfectly to see the 1st down (on the big screen!) - and without even a pause just walk past the table and out the door.

It's one thing to extract a sweater-vest wearing pseudo-stranger from a Bills Karma situation in your house, quite another to kick your wife out of a restaurant/bar.

A few thoughts:

- Anyone (that is left) who still thinks Wire is only a liability in coverage and is a 'great tackler' should be made to watch, 'Clockwork-Orange-style', Wire's whiff ("run support" - Wire-style!) on Maroney until they are completely deprogrammed and experience violent nausea and headaches when wanting to express something positive about Wire's play (similar to the nausea and headaches experienced by knowledgeable Bills fans after watching his ineptitude on a football field). Just to mix it up - sprinkle in a few loops of Wire getting completely taken out of the play the Pats next possession as Dillon rumbles for 11 yards - then (finally) getting pulled for Whitner who on the next play fires into the gap like a rocket to stop Dillon cold after a short gain. These plays perfectly represent how Wire has played (consistently) since he was a rookie.

Also - for those in the 'Wire excells at ST" camp - please note - no mention of Wire making a ST tackle on the NFL play-by-play for this game.

I really hope once Bowen is 100% (can't happen soon enough) Wire is let go and someone else is signed on the roster.

- I think the 4th down call was totally the right one. You have the lead - have the chance to really put the game away by showing some dominance. Jauron sends a message of faith in his offense - and basically you need to be able to get a yard at that point with the momentum all behind you. I love it that DJ went for it - no GW pussiness there.

- I'm also surprised with the coach-bashing. I think the problem in the 2nd half was execution, not coaching. I was thinking in the second half how many rookies were in there in their first real NFL game with things starting to get a little tight and maybe some of them were. I hope they keep Whitner and Simpson out there - they'll only get better and more comfortable each week.

- I think people are crazy who don't think that officiating was horrible. I know it sounds like sour grapes, but it was the same old thing after a while - feeling like you're playing not only the Paytoilets but also the PaydOffRefs.

- God I hate the !@#$ing Patriots

I agree with you, Coy Wire is an absolute liability on this defense not only in the passing game but also stopping the run, he's not a solid tackle and his zone, and man to man coverage is terrible. He was also the one who got burned for the touchdown in the Panthers game last year which lost the Bills the game, surprise surprise. I think that if Whitner and Vincent play the whole game back there, with Simpson in once in a while and Bowen as the backup, NO COY WIRE, the Bills win this game. The Patriots wouldn't get their first touchdown of the game and Maroney and Dillon wouldn't have ran so productively all over the Bills' defense.

I loved what I saw from Donte Whitner, I'm sold on this guy as our starting strong safety.

I also have a question about a rule, isn't blocking from behind only supposed to be called on kicks, otherwise it's legal? If that's the case then we got robbed a defensive touchdown from Whitner, and also a crucial first down gain by Price which was called back.

Every play of the game the Patriots were holding, didn't get called once. Not once.

Moorman got mauled by 4 rushers, no call. Just fascinating how badly the refs stink, they may as well wear Patriots jerseys next time.

Steve-

I thought that I was the only one with bad karma!

I had to take my son to his soccer game, so was walking out the door as we went for it on fourth down, only to be stopped. So I leave, with the Bills on top by 10 and still feeling pretty good...I had the game Tivo'd, I'd watch it later.

Since I'm in Michigan, I had no radio coverage other than ESPN radio updates. So I sit in my car as the soccer teams warm up, having to listen to bits and peices of the Bills collapse..... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I think it was all my fault for leaving.... <_<

Sorry.

Steve-

I thought that I was the only one with bad karma!

I had to take my son to his soccer game, so was walking out the door as we went for it on fourth down, only to be stopped.  So I leave, with the Bills on top by 10 and still feeling pretty good...I had the game Tivo'd, I'd watch it later.

Since I'm in Michigan, I had no radio coverage other than ESPN radio updates.  So  I sit in my car as the soccer teams warm up, having to listen to bits and peices of the Bills collapse.....  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! 

I think it was all my fault for leaving.... :D

Sorry.

768857[/snapback]

Hey Ann!

Yes - I think yours might have been worse - leaving for *soccer* of all things! <_< Now if it was for some kind of invitational the football gods might have been more merciful...

Hope things are well with you.

Now if it was for some kind of invitational the football gods might have been more merciful...

769092[/snapback]

The xc invitational was Saturday! (My daughter is running on my team!)

Hope all is good with you.. Say hi to Ponda.

I'll try not to give the Bills any bad Karma next weekend....No soccer games! <_<