Johnathan Smith is a patriot

nodnarb

Is Parrish really better than Smith?  They seem to have similar skills.  Smith looked good returning punts a couple of years ago, better than Parrish last year.

761020[/snapback]

Parrish would've led the NFL in punt return average as a rookie last year if he had returned enough to qualify. He averaged 13.3 on 14 returns, while the league leader was at 12.8. Don't forget, Parrish was catching and returning punts with a soft cast protecting his recently broken wrist. And as a receiver, I'd take Parrish (or Sam Aiken for that matter) over Fast Freddie.

Smith averaged 17.4 yards on 9 returns in 2004. Last year he averaged 6.8 on 6.

761020[/snapback]

And that 17.4 avg on 9 returns factored in two that were over 50 yards. I think Freddie has definitely shown the ability to break one, but consistently over a season, I'll think the Bills get more out of Parrish. There's a reason Clements returned punts last year, and then Parrish once he got activated. I guess Fast Freddie just didn't have it.

Why are people worried about this?

Smith's PR stats from '04 are altered by that one TD return (ironically, I guess, against the Patriots) where he almost was caught from behind by Patrick friggin Pass.

The way I look at it is that New England is pretty desperate at WR- at least there's one position Buffalo is better than them at.

Seriously, shouldn't we be more worried about Tom Brady, Richard Seymour, and Rodney Harrison than Jonathan "Not Really that Fast Freddy" Smith?

We have plenty concerns for week 1- this isn't one of them.

Is Parrish really better than Smith?  They seem to have similar skills.  Smith looked good returning punts a couple of years ago, better than Parrish last year.

761020[/snapback]

Yes, Parrish is better than Smith. If we had cut Parrish, the Patriots would have picked him up even faster.

Cutting Smith was the right choice for us, and does not make use a weaker football team. But since it addresses an area of concern for NE, his signing could improve their team (although I think more for depth than for people who play).

Don't worry about getting outsmarted by the Pats, which I think is the focus here. We have areas where we are stronger, and they are weaker, and they would gladly take our castoffs...just they way the talent is split.

Who cares about Fast Freddie Smith. He couldn't make it as one of the Bills 6 WR's and I doubt he is going to become an All Pro in NE. He is going to tell them all about our playbook...BIG DEAL. Is he going to whisper each play in Belichik's ear as we come to the LoS?

Fast Freddie you've only been an ex-Bill for one day, but you're gone and certainly forgotten.

He is going to tell them all about our playbook...BIG DEAL.

761038[/snapback]

I don't think it will be a big deal, but it certainly didn't seem to hurt in the other direction when we 31-0'd them after picking up Milloy.

I think the emotional/ leadership aspect of the Milloy thing outweighed his knowledge of their playbook. Milloy probably still knew their playbook when they whooped our ass by the same 31-0 score to close the season.

For some reason I don't think losing Jonathon Smith is going to break the soul of the Bills' unit.

Damn, always liked the kid. He'll probably be able to give the Pats some good intel on the offense, too. I knew this would happen with the Pats' wobbly WR corp. He has good hands, too.

Patriots | J. Smith claimed off waivers

Sun, 3 Sep 2006 15:40:36 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the New England Patriots have claimed free agent WR Jonathan Smith (Bills) off waivers.

BTW: Anyone else surprised by the lack of depth on both lines? We have to hope we don't take any injuries to DT or OT.

760772[/snapback]

I so called that one.