Bledsoe Apologists

anyone can see that there are more issues contributing to our record than just Bledsoe.....

54705[/snapback]

Let me state this again so BuffaloBob and the fanatical Drew Apologists can understand:

I was NOT singling out Drew's play for our 3 losses. Many other players on offense have failed the Bills besides Drew, as have several players on defense (hmm, Wire?), a suspect kicker, a rookie offensive coaching staff, and yes - of course - the main man, TD.

But my general question was who still believes in a Bills team making the playoffs that is led by Bledsoe, regardless of the specifics of the exact percentage of blame Drew deserves in the 0-3 start?

The reasoning is that it's easier to change 1 player on offense rather than to change 10. And since the QB is the most important position on the offense, and since our offense has been averaging a miniscule 10 points per game, and since the NFL has seemed to evolve beyond the days of the multi-million-dollar slow-footed pocket passer, and since the 2001 Patriots seemed to acquire a lot of success immediately after changing the same 1 player on their offense, maybe we should give it a try, no?

I'm not advocating Shane Matthews as the answer - he's not even a high school football program's answer at QB - but I am all for putting in Losman as soon as he's healthy and assuming we don't get much more productive on offense in the next few weeks. My question was, basically, who's with me on this one and who isn't?

I am happy to "reveal" this secret since it has been discussed before

as with reversed names like yvel vram for our sainted hc of the old days< my name is a reversal of an eminem (mm) tune title

as far as DB goes he has seen his best days but simple honesty (rather than devoting too much focus to db by loving or hating him) needs to recognize that he has played an essemtial role as qb on teams which made the sb with parcells reminding him to throw the damn ball rather than going into his trademark patpatpatsack mode and with bb when he filled in for an injured Brady to win a must win game in their SB run

He deserved his Pro bowl nod in his first season for the bills and deserved to be cut after last season

howeve if a GM chooses to keep him I suggest this only happen under particular circumstances

A do not focus on his play to lead your team_ run and run the ball some more and use the threat of his arm as a changeup

B negotiate a cap friendly deal with him

C get a backup qb capable of leading the team to wins in at least a Reich kind of level

I think if all of the codiciles laid out by Bill from NY were met in term of the team not making stupid plays and my thoughts were met in terms of the team not relying on db but using him as a threat i think this team could make the playoffs with MM pulling off a Parcells like coaching job

However I don"t mistake MM  for Parcells>

54759[/snapback]

Ahhh... I had a feeling that you mentioned it. I never followed up on it and didn't want to search.

Thanks.

Your other points a very well taken!

See the big difference of opinion I have with some people about Bledsoe is this:

Ok, lets go on the assumption that he DIDNT cost us the first two games of the season and many last year ----

Has Drew actually CAME BACK and WON - Yes WON a game? I would love to see his record when his team is down after the half or down going into the 4th quarter.

See the big difference of opinion I have with some people about Bledsoe is this:

Ok, lets go on the assumption that he DIDNT cost us the first two games of the season and many last year ---- 

Has Drew actually CAME BACK and WON - Yes WON a game?  I would love to see his record when his team is down after the half or down going into the 4th quarter.

54778[/snapback]

That's exactly right.....that is my problem with him, too. If you look at RJ and Flutie on paper, neither of them had great stats.....but Flutie WON the damn game! I have a MUCH easier time listing the ways Bledsoe is a liability than I do trying to figure out how he helps us. Hell, with most QBs, starting 27 games in a row would be a plus......with Bledsoe it may be part of what is holding us back lol

But anyway, Kelso, I'm with you. We cannot, and will not go to or win a playoff game with Drew "no spark, no aura" Bledsoe at the helm.

I thought Bledsoe played well against Jacksonville, badly against Oakland, and kind of well against New England. That one INT hurt us, but maybe Moulds ran the wrong route. Without knowing what play was called on 4th and 3, it's hard to assign blame.

Bledsoe's throws to Evans and Moulds were things of beauty, and really made a difference.

Has Drew actually CAME BACK and WON - Yes WON a game?  I would love to see his record when his team is down after the half or down going into the 4th quarter.

54778[/snapback]

Bledsoe has 22 4th quarter comeback wins in his career.

54778[/snapback]

Actually, USA Today (print) had a chart that showed DB has more 4thQ comeback wins (18) the past 10 years than any other QB, more than Favre. :)

I think all but 1 have been with the Pats...

only one I remember is against the Vikings.

Let me state this again so BuffaloBob and the fanatical Drew Apologists can understand:

I was NOT singling out Drew's play for our 3 losses. Many other players on offense have failed the Bills besides Drew, as have several players on defense (hmm, Wire?), a suspect kicker, a rookie offensive coaching staff, and yes - of course - the main man, TD.

But my general question was who still believes in a Bills team making the playoffs that is led by Bledsoe, regardless of the specifics of the exact percentage of blame Drew deserves in the 0-3 start?

The reasoning is that it's easier to change 1 player on offense rather than to change 10. And since the QB is the most important position on the offense, and since our offense has been averaging a miniscule 10 points per game, and since the NFL has seemed to evolve beyond the days of the multi-million-dollar slow-footed pocket passer, and since the 2001 Patriots seemed to acquire a lot of success immediately after changing the same 1 player on their offense, maybe we should give it a try, no?

I'm not advocating Shane Matthews as the answer - he's not even a high school football program's answer at QB - but I am all for putting in Losman as soon as he's healthy and assuming we don't get much more productive on offense in the next few weeks. My question was, basically, who's with me on this one and who isn't?

54775[/snapback]

As I think you know Kelso, I've not had any interest in focusing on Bledsoe as the problem of the team. I still don't think today's game fell on the play of Bledsoe:

- There were literally like 9 plays at the end of the game when Harrison was allowed to blitz Bledsoe absolutely untouched. How in the world did the coaches not adjust for that? This happened quite a bit earlier in the game as well...that was some of the worst coaching I've seen in awhile.

- I'm just sickened by the number of penalities the team has made. Again today we get a Fletcher PF..an offside on a critical 4th down field goal...fumbling a game-tying fumble recovery into the end zone...just terrible.

- Henry/McGahee blowing blitz assignments.

That being said, I've very quickly losing hope for anything this season...and one reason I've not wanted to jump to Losman is it's most likely going to cost us a full season of him adjusting to the NFL level of play (as with any rookie QB).

However (and I think this is basically what you are saying) if the season is over, why not start Losman's now and let his NFL adjustment begin now and have him ready for next year? I don't really see any point of pulling Bledsoe for Matthews, but when Losman is ready in a few weeks...if we are haven't magically turned the ship around...it's definitely time to make the move.