ALBERT EINSTEIN'S RIDDLE

erynthered

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Premise 3 states that each homeowner keeps a different type of pet. By strict logic you can get all the way to the end and state for certain that the German does NOT keep dogs, cats, horses or birds, but it does NOT tell you he must therefore own a fish. The German could own a rabbit, or an emu for that matter. Unless you state that someone MUST own a fish the German could own anything (except what the others already own).

By asking who owns a fish you ASSUME that someone does and that someone is the German, but that's only an assumption - hence the need for another statement that someone owns a fish (some actually think this answer is the actual riddle and that only 2% of people would question whether anyone even owns a fish).

751526[/snapback]

I have it on excellent authority that the German owns ferrets.

Furthermore, it does not say that each person owns only one pet. I also have it on excellent authority that the Limey owns birds AND fish...

I have it on excellent authority that the German owns ferrets.

Furthermore, it does not say that each person owns only one pet.  I also have it on excellent authority that the Limey owns birds AND fish...

751551[/snapback]

I have it on excellent authority, this is Avenger's favorite game. :P

http://nerdnirvana.org/g4m3s/borderpatrol.htm

I'm still trying to figure out the genius of how a guy born in 1879 wrote a riddle in the early 19th century.

751631[/snapback]

Actually, the statement is:

ALBERT EINSTEIN WROTE THIS RIDDLE EARLY DURING THE 19th CENTURY. HE SAID THAT 98% OF THE WORLD POPULATION WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SOLVE IT.

Early may refer to his life rather than the century which would mean he wrote it when he was in his youth, before 1900.

Premise 3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

Means that the German does in fact have a pet.  If this isn't a trick question, then the one person whose pet you don't know will be a fish.

751389[/snapback]

Fish aren't pets, fish are food. :P