What's the deal with Kevin Everett?

BoondckCL

He was supposed to come back in top form was he not?

Where is he, the only tightends i am hearing about are Cieslak and Royal.

743994[/snapback]

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe this guy will ever fully recover. Looks like a bad break all the way around.

I really hope he comes around and becomes the down field threat that he was supposed to be. It has just been so long since the Bills have had a decent tight end that it is frustrating to see us throw away draft picks on guys who don't/can't play.

Yeah 3rd rd picks who missed an entire season, then have to learn a whole new system are suppouse to dominate off the bat  :blush:

For the record he had 2 catches for 10 yards in the preseason game against the panthers.  Lets wait awhile before predicting failure.

744009[/snapback]

Many fans don't want to give a young QB more than 8 starts to grow into the position in the NFL, do you think they're goingto give a TE even 1 game? Hell no, he's obviously a bust. :blush:

Yeah 3rd rd picks who missed an entire season, then have to learn a whole new system are suppouse to dominate off the bat  :blush:

For the record he had 2 catches for 10 yards in the preseason game against the panthers.  Lets wait awhile before predicting failure.

744009[/snapback]

Exactly. I was just glad to finally see him on the field... didn't look that bad for his first game action at all.

744009[/snapback]

Don't say that on this board. Remember, last year most threw JP under the bus. :blush:

I think at least part of this is that the closer the Bills O turns out to be something like the high-flying Rams O the less the TE will be used. A look at the Rams depth chart shows how much they value the TE as #1 on their depth chart at TE is a rookie.

Its clear that Fairchild is going to bring something like the Rams style O here and likely we will use the TE more, but the Bills model is likely given our patheric OL last year and the bucks spent on FA Royal to emphasize the TE as a 6th OL player rather than as a receiver which theoretically is Everett's specialty and why former TE MM selected hin on the first day.

I actually think that the Fairchild version of the Rams O will differ significantly from the Rams model as Fairchild put his own stamp on it. However, rather than the conventional wisdom many ascribe to that in snowy Buffalo we cannot run anything that remotely should be called Rams East, I think this misunderstands the Rams O which is not so much based on being pass happy because the QB is throwing the bomb all day, bu his pass happy because the QB throws relatively short passes to speedy WRs who get quick separation and run after the catch for big yards.

My guess is that it will not be surprising if the Fairchild O is different because it makes signifucant use of the TE. This may be not simply as a pass blocker, but also as a check down receiver who makes RAC yardage, as a key in the redzone ala Butch Rolle in the old Bills red zone attack and even possibly as a downfield receiver ala Pete Metzalaars.

Everett may be sending up few red flags of achievement because the thing that is different that he needs to learn to do better to contribute to this O is block well and possibly there is a method to him laying low as they hope that the Pats and initial opponents will not design coverages to cut off the TE and then in the actual games the QB goes to him a lot.

I think at least part of this is that the closer the Bills O turns out to be something like the high-flying Rams O the less the TE will be used.  A look at the Rams depth chart shows how much they value the TE as #1 on their depth chart at TE is a rookie.

Its clear that Fairchild is going to bring something like the Rams style O here and likely we will use the TE more, but the Bills model is likely given our patheric OL last year and the bucks spent on FA Royal to emphasize the TE as a 6th OL player rather than as a receiver which theoretically is Everett's specialty and why former TE MM selected hin on the first day.

I actually think that the Fairchild version of the Rams O will differ significantly from the Rams model as Fairchild put his own stamp on it.  However, rather than the conventional wisdom many ascribe to that in snowy Buffalo we cannot run anything that remotely should be called Rams East, I think this misunderstands the Rams O which is not so much based on being pass happy because the QB is throwing the bomb all day, bu his pass happy because the QB throws relatively short passes to speedy WRs who get quick separation and run after the catch for big yards.

My guess is that it will not be surprising if the Fairchild O is different because it makes signifucant use of the TE.  This may be not simply as a pass blocker, but also as a check down receiver who makes RAC yardage, as a key in the redzone ala Butch Rolle in the old Bills red zone attack and even possibly as a downfield receiver ala Pete Metzalaars.

Everett may be sending up few red flags of achievement because the thing that is different that he needs to learn to do better to contribute to this O is block well and possibly there is a method to him laying low as they hope that the Pats and initial opponents will not design coverages to cut off the TE and then in the actual games the QB goes to him a lot.

744251[/snapback]

The difference between the Rams tight ends and Kevin Everett is that Everett has the speed to go down field on passing plays and adds a different aspect to the game, which is stretching the field. So i actually think that Everett would play atleast a substantial role in Fairchild's offense.

I think at least part of this is that the closer the Bills O turns out to be something like the high-flying Rams O the less the TE will be used.  A look at the Rams depth chart shows how much they value the TE as #1 on their depth chart at TE is a rookie.

I actually think that the Fairchild version of the Rams O will differ significantly from the Rams model as Fairchild put his own stamp on it.  However, rather than the conventional wisdom many ascribe to that in snowy Buffalo we cannot run anything that remotely should be called Rams East, I think this misunderstands the Rams O which is not so much based on being pass happy because the QB is throwing the bomb all day, bu his pass happy because the QB throws relatively short passes to speedy WRs who get quick separation and run after the catch for big yards.

744251[/snapback]

It depends. If he follows the martz model the te's will primarily be used for blocking. However Im gonna just throw this out there. I think the way this offense is set up for more run oriented it'll be more like the Al Saunders version of the Don "Air" Coryell offense where you have your one blocking te ala Robert Royal, and the te primarily used as a outlet receiver that being Kevin Everett like Saunders had in Kc with Jason Dunn and Tony Gonzalez. Now Im not saying this is the direction he goes, but I wouldn't be suprised. You Nailed the point about the rams O passing game. Speedy wr's quick passes designed for yard after catch. Safe throws and occasionaly throwing deep. However I believe fairchild will take on the Saunders like philosphy of more run oriented version. On Paper I love the philosophy, and when its clicking its a great offense, but I expect everett and even royal to be involved in the passing game as well as blocking. I think we'll see a lot of two te sets this year, and in time everett and even royal can become scoring threats especially down in the redzone.

It depends. If he follows the martz model the te's will primarily be used for blocking. However Im gonna just throw this out there. I think the way this offense is set up for more run oriented it'll be more like the Al Saunders version of the Don "Air" Coryell offense where you have  your one blocking te ala Robert Royal, and the te  primarily used as a outlet receiver that being Kevin Everett like Saunders had in Kc with Jason Dunn and Tony Gonzalez.  Now Im not saying this is the direction he goes, but I wouldn't be suprised. You Nailed the point about the rams O passing game.  Speedy wr's quick passes designed for yard after catch. Safe throws and occasionaly throwing deep. However I believe fairchild will take on the Saunders like philosphy of more run oriented version.    On Paper I love the philosophy, and when its clicking its a great offense, but I expect everett and even royal to be involved in the passing game as well as blocking. I think we'll see a lot of two te sets this year, and in time everett and even royal can become scoring threats especially down in the redzone.

744258[/snapback]

I will be interesting to watch the O develop if it is able to operate at a level where the quandaries to be decided are how to employ the TEs rather than a more immediate issue of how to get sufficient separation quickly for the WRs, how to get the OL to block well for the run, how to get receing production out of WM at the same level of the 1200+ yards he got rushing last year and how to get the WBs to do good reads.

I think an added wrinkle or challenge if the Bills do in fact employ the TEs as you suggest will be how they do not tip off the type of plays they are going to call in a radical way based on which TE is in the package.

If Royal being present always mean load up the box because he is the blocking TE and Everett being in means go to the cover 2 because he is the pass catching TE then the Bills will simply tip off the D pretty clearly by which TE is in the game.

Evereyy must be a good blocker and Royal must threaten or exceed his career best pass catching total of roughly 18 receptions last year,

I will be interesting to watch the O develop if it is able to operate at a level where the quandaries to be decided are how to employ the TEs rather than a more immediate issue of how to get sufficient separation quickly for the WRs, how to get the OL to block well for the run, how to get receing production out of WM at the same level of the 1200+ yards he got rushing last year and how to get the WBs to do good reads.

I think an added wrinkle or challenge if the Bills do in fact employ the TEs as you suggest will be how they do not tip off the type of plays they are going to call in a radical way based on which TE is in the package.

If Royal being present always mean load up the box because he is the blocking TE and Everett being in means go to the cover 2 because he is the pass catching TE then the Bills will simply tip off the D pretty clearly by which TE is in the game.

Evereyy must be a good blocker and Royal must threaten or exceed his career best pass catching total of roughly 18 receptions last year,

744264[/snapback]

What i saw out of Royal at camp, i liked. He has good hips which allow him to catch the ball and turn up field quickly. But i think he will merely be a dump off over the middle or out in the flat kind of receiver that will be a reliable target for Losman.

The thing that impressed me was his size. He matched up one on one with Whitner a few times and when he did go down field he used his body to out smart the safety and secure the ball in his grasp. This ability to go one on one with the safety could come in handy if we ever go to a four, or even three receiver set. With the talent we have at WR, they will simply put a linebacker or safety on him one on one and double team Evans and cover the other wideouts one on one. His playmaking ability in these situations could come in handy and potentially offset the defense in terms of basing the play they run on what tight end is on the field at any particular time.

What i saw out of Royal at camp, i liked. He has good hips which allow him to catch the ball and turn up field quickly. But i think he will merely be a dump off over the middle or out in the flat kind of receiver that will be a reliable target for Losman.

The thing that impressed me was his size. He matched up one on one with Whitner a few times and when he did go down field he used his body to out smart the safety and secure the ball in his grasp. This ability to go one on one with the safety could come in handy if we ever go to a four, or even three receiver set. With the talent we have at WR, they will simply put a linebacker or safety on him one on one and double team Evans and cover the other wideouts one on one. His playmaking ability in these situations could come in handy and potentially offset the defense in terms of basing the play they run on what tight end is on the field at any particular time.

744265[/snapback]

Actually, if Royal in fact proves to be proficient at "merely" getting dump-off passes, that shoukd prove quite helpful in making our O productive and prove to be a substantial new wrinkle which can make our O style even more productive than the St. L O,

If our O operates as I understand it is supposed to, receovers are going to be sent on pass patterns every play which are designed to get them quick separation and RAC opportunities. The QB's job is to make pre-play reads and identify single coverages and look to these players initial separation.

If the QB sees isolation and that receiver gets a good initial push, then he hits that receiver.

If on the other hand, the QB sees no isolation or the receiver does not get initial separation he quickly dumps it off to get what likely will be a small gain but a gain nonetheless.

A big part of the Martz St. L plan being so potent was that Marshall Faulk proved to be an extraordinary dump-off talent. He not only could quickly find the seams and concentrate and bring in the pass, but his running ability allowed him to make the first guy miss and the small gains became substantial.

If Royal and/or Everett prove to be effective dump off tools, this marks a huge tool not really utilized in the current St. L scheme which boasts no TEs with more than a couple of years experience and actually rookies as almost place warmers.

If Royal proves to set a career record for receptions again this year (he might even break into the 20s) this will be a sign that our O plan is working well.

I think we "eased" Willis back into playing mode behind Travis Henry, so I'm not too concerned or anxious about Kevin Everett - the guy's got good size, speed, a ton of athletic ability, and a great work ethic - I think he'll be fine and we'll have great depth at the TE position.

I'm pretty confident that Levy's building a great organization and that Jauron & Co. know what they're doing.