Joe Mesi...how low can you go?

LabattBlue

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Joe is donating his purse from this fight to an Arkansas charity.

I'm a frequent visitor to Boxrec.com, and have become familiar with Stacy Goodson. He posts under the name American Clubfighter, and is quite the character.

I've followed Joe's career the last 7 years, and in his last fight he was a shell of his former self. I don't think he'll ever be a serious contender again, but I will root him on and wish him well, if he wants to continue fighting.

On a side note, the heavyweight division in boxing is a total joke. If you want to see exciting fights and incredible talent, the best weight divisions to follow are from 140-154.

On a side note,  the heavyweight division in boxing is a total joke.  If you want to see exciting fights and incredible talent,  the best weight divisions to follow are from 140-154.

740304[/snapback]

As it's pretty much always been. For some reason the average person likes the heavyweights. Even when the division was loaded, the best matches were usually the welter-through-middle.

YES...The comeback continues!... :D

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060813/1043856.asp

Does beating some tomato can with a 9-28 record at an Arkansas fairgrounds even warrant being in the news?

742270[/snapback]

If you've seen Joe fight lately, these are the type of fighters he should be in the ring with.

He is a worse fighter now, then when he was an up and coming prospect.

He has lost most of his handspeed, a ton of power, and gets hit like it's his job.

If he got into the ring with a gatekeeper, I could see him losing a decision, or even get knocked the feck out.

Right now, his team is doing the right thing.

He needs to stay busy, and get rounds.

If anyone seriously thinks he'll be a top contender again, I'd disagree with them. He has slipped too far, and isn't getting any younger.

Putting him in the ring with a live body would be a bad decision, at this point.

I hope Joe gets "it" back. Right now, he's not even 50% of the fighter he once was, and he wasn't an elite talent to begin with.

What's sad is the heavyweight division is so weak right now, before injury Joe had a golden chance to make some waves, and grab one of the worthless alphabet soup titles.

The injury came at the worst time possible, as he was probably only a fight or two away from fighting for a major belt.

;)

YES...The comeback continues!... 0:)

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060813/1043856.asp

Does beating some tomato can with a 9-28 record at an Arkansas fairgrounds even warrant being in the news?

742270[/snapback]

If you think Mesi's a stiff, why are you paying attention to him? We all know his career path, with his near rise to the top, and then the injuries. I think everyone knew, even when he was a hot commodity, that he wasn't going to be a superstar. He was struggling to beat some mediocre talents...

But why do you get to tell him when to retire? Just because the guy is not fighting in the matchups you consider to be worth your attention, why does he have to stop? Boxing is all he's ever known and wanted to do, and he's still young. He will have plenty of time to sit around figuring out what to do next. In the meantime, if he wants to fight in front of 400 people in Montreal or at the Arkansas State Fair, I think he should do it. You don't have to buy a ticket, or watch, or much less start a thread (and post a link to an article) wondering if his fights are even news worthy.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about Mesi, but I for one am not the type to sit at my computer as I drink a beer and eat a hotdog and tell a professional athlete that he should retire because he's not competing at a level that is up to MY standards. I think every athlete should be entitled to "Drink every drop" as they say, and retire when they feel like they don't have the desire to compete anymore.

But why do you get to tell him when to retire? 

742858[/snapback]

It's just my opinion that I am posting on a message board. After all, isn't that what a message board is for? 0:) I don't think Joe is reading this board waiting for my posts, in order to help him decide what to do next.