Hey, Joe Cribbs Is Coming To Town!

Thats right I forgot about Greg Bell. I believe Harmon was drated the next year with Will Wolford. Didn't Cribbs put jail bars on locker when he came back? Fitting he left the day Kelly was signed.

740236[/snapback]

Pre-salary cap days...anyone who was expendable (and face it, on a team that had only won 4 games in 32 tries, most everyone was expendable) was let go, to make room for Kelly's salary...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just burned that game onto DVD this past weekend! Great game....funny, Cosell and Meredith were writing the Dolphins off, mid-second quarter, when the bills went up 17-0...just as they are talking about what a long night they are in for, Nate Thurman runs a kick back for Miami...what an excitng game...I loved that team!

740203[/snapback]

I don't remember that game. Is that the same year the Bills played Dallas on Monday at Big D when Ferguson lost his shoe late in the first half and thru and INT? Or was that 82? Ron Jessie caught a long pass on a play pass before it. Bills were doing good till the Fergie INT and then got clobbered

I dunno I can't give Cribbs slack even if the Bills were cheap, it's like getting dumped by your girlfriend for a guy who is much more attractive and wealthy. You can't blame her, but it doesn't mean you'll ever forgive her. Especially that '85 year when the hot new rich guy turned out to be a charlatan that left her high and dry and she came staggering back because she didn't have a place to crash?

Speaking of Harmon, doesn't anyone wish you could go back to the '85 supplemental draft and select Reggie White rather than trade the pick to Cleveland? (I know we picked Harmon in '86, it was with the first of those 2 picks, Wolford & Harmon) Imagine White at LDE and Bruce at RDE? God, it'd be sick...

I have to get that time machine I bought on E-Bay working, have to remember to put the crystals in this time...

I dunno I can't give Cribbs slack even if the Bills were cheap, it's like getting dumped by your girlfriend for a guy who is much more attractive and wealthy.  You can't blame her, but it doesn't mean you'll ever forgive her.  Especially that '85 year when the hot new rich guy turned out to be a charlatan that left her high and dry and she came staggering back because she didn't have a place to crash?

740261[/snapback]

I know what you are saying, but remember, the Bills owned the exclusive rights to Cribbs when the USFL went down...Cribbs really didn not want to come back to Buffalo, and begged for a trade....the Bills wouldn't trade him. His only option was to sit out a year (after already sitting some time, with the USFL in limbo in 1985), or play for the Bills. Cribbs would have rather "crashed" anywhere than Buffalo, in 1985....

I don't remember that game. Is that the same year the Bills played Dallas on Monday at Big D when Ferguson lost his shoe late in the first half and thru and INT? Or was that 82? Ron Jessie caught a long pass on a play pass before it. Bills were doing good till the Fergie INT and then got clobbered

740246[/snapback]

I rmember that game too, pretty sure that was 1981 also...I remember because I went to see the Bills/Eagles game that year (a Thursday night game!), so 1981 was the year we were playing the NFC East teams...

I rmember that game too, pretty sure that was 1981 also...I remember because I went to see the Bills/Eagles game that year (a Thursday night game!), so 1981 was the year we were playing the NFC East teams...

740270[/snapback]

I remember the Eagles game very clearly! We were down in the forth quarter and Ground Chuck was still running the ball and my brother was yelling at the TV: 'Throw the ball.' I was with Chuck though, but we lost anyway, right?

I dunno I can't give Cribbs slack even if the Bills were cheap, it's like getting dumped by your girlfriend for a guy who is much more attractive and wealthy. 

740261[/snapback]

Try this: t's like getting dumped by your girlfriend (who you hit several times) for a guy...

The same Dr. Argovitz who later owned the Houston Gamblers and signed Jim Kelly out from under the Bills? You can look at it two different ways: either the Bills' tight pursestrings made the USFL an attractive alternative, or the USFL was willing to overbid for players in order to make inroads vs. the NFL in general.

740011[/snapback]

I remember reading somewhere that Kelly and his agent (not Jerry Argovitz) were at OBD ready to sign his original contract, when the secretary buzzed in with a phone call for Jimbo, with a higher offer from the Gamblers. Probably an urban legend.

Either way, we can thank the USFL for developing Jim Kelly... but also blame it in part for those horrific 1984-85 seasons.

740011[/snapback]

If only we could blame them for Hank Bullough.

Seems like he was only productive for one more season after he left the Bills so the Bills got the best value out of him and were smart enough not to resign him.

739341[/snapback]

It's probably already been pointed out (but I refuse to read two more pages to find out), but, the Bills did in fact resign Joe Cribbs. By not re-signing him he basically resigned from the team. B-)