Wide Receiver Talk:

Astrobot

Just droiding around the accounts of practice (I've only been over there twice so far), and looking at some stats from last year.

How many current Buffalo players had higher Yards Per Catch than Eric Moulds last year?

The answer: 8:

Andre Davis---21.1

(Joe Burns---19.0)

Peerless Price---16.0

Lee Evans---15.5

Sam Aiken---14.3

Josh Reed---14.0

Fred Jackson---11.7 with Rhein

Jonathan Smith---11.2

----------------------

Eric Moulds---10.1

----------------------

Roscoe Parrish---9.9

Ryan Neufeld---9.0

Daimon Shelton---7.5

Robert Royal---7.3

Willis McGahee---6.9

It is entirely possible that the 2006 Bills WR's will have a better year (average and yardage) than their Patriot counterparts. In fact, it was hard coming up with 6 WR's.

Deion Branch---12.8

Reche Caldwell---12.6

Troy Brown---11.9

Chad Jackson---17.4 (college)

Matt Shelton---18.9 (college)

Erik Davis---14.2 (college)

I have joined the Andre Davis/Peerless Price fan club, as I was impressed with what I saw and read about them. Aiken is much improved, and Reed and Parrish will probably join Evans as the 6 WR's they keep (with Nance and possibly Wilson on the PS). Obviously, the preseason games will do much to confirm or refute this, but I was pleasantly surprised in doing this research. Burns and Jackson are bona fide receivers, and I expect to see McGahee and Everett join the double digit club with Fairchild's offense.

Just droiding around the accounts of practice (I've only been over there twice so far), and looking at some stats from last year.

How many current Buffalo players had higher Yards Per Catch than Eric Moulds last year?

The answer: 8:

Andre Davis---21.1

(Joe Burns---19.0)

Peerless Price---16.0

Lee Evans---15.5

Sam Aiken---14.3

Josh Reed---14.0

Fred Jackson---11.7 with Rhein

Jonathan Smith---11.2----------------------

Eric Moulds---10.1

----------------------

Roscoe Parrish---9.9

Ryan Neufeld---9.0

Daimon Shelton---7.5

Robert Royal---7.3

Willis McGahee---6.9

It is entirely possible that the 2006 Bills WR's will have a better year (average and yardage) than their Patriot counterparts. In fact, it was hard coming up with 6 WR's.

Deion Branch---12.8

Reche Caldwell---12.6

Troy Brown---11.9

Chad Jackson---17.4 (college)

Matt Shelton---18.9 (college)

Erik Davis---14.2 (college)

737025[/snapback]

I definitely agree the general underlying point here that Moulds' time as a premier receiver is all but finished. (no offense to EMO, up until last season he was the man).

The only counter point I offer is that all of the Bills other receivers besides Evans didn't have enough receptions to form what I would call a truthful average. Evans at 15.5 however is outstanding.

Good post.

While it can be debated that the Bills overpaid for him, I think Peerles Price (and Larry Tripplett) is the best FA moves the Bills made this offseason...been hearing lots of good things about Robert Royal as well.

I know a lot of the media talking heads are tripping over themselves making lame cliche' "jokes" about the Bills going "back to the future" by hiring Levy, the combined age of Ralph & Levy, and then, laughing about the Bills re-signing Price. I really think that Price was just in one bad situation after another in Atlanta (a great athlete playing QB, not a great QB), and Dallas (he was a mid-season roster fodder addition, who really had no chance to really stick with the team, only played extensively in 1 game, was just keeping Keyshawns seat warm, while KJ was injured)...now he comes back to Buffalo, a little older, every bit as quick, and maybe a little more mature. If the Bills get any kind of QB play out of Losman, Nall or Holcomb, I really think Price will be a more than adequate #2 receiver...

If Price had never played for the Bills before, I think more Bills fans would like this move for Price. We tend to write guys off as "a-holes", "losers" and "lazy" when they go elsewhere...it causes quite a quandry in "Bills-nation" when one of our prodigal sons comes back in the fold.

If the Bills get any kind of QB play out of Losman, Nall or Holcomb, I really think Price will be a more than adequate #2 receiver...

737076[/snapback]

I agree. like you said Price was not in the greatest of situations and looking at his #'s and considering who played qb in atlanta he put up respectable #'s in a run dominated offense. So much so the falcons ranked 29th and 31st the two years price was there and despite having a run dominated offense with a qb who isn't known for his passing skills he managed to put up respectable #'s of that of a good #2 on most teams, not all that different then his first 3 years in buffalo. I dont see it as Price declining so much as the offense he was in. With adequate qb play I think evans/price can develop into a pretty good 1/2 punch. I'm not even looking for monster #'s out of either of them just keep defenses respectable enough so we dont see constant 8-9 man fronts to gang up on the run.

If Price had never played for the Bills before, I think more Bills fans would like this move for Price.  We tend to write guys off as "a-holes", "losers" and "lazy" when they go elsewhere...it causes quite a quandry in "Bills-nation" when one of our prodigal sons comes back in the fold.

737076[/snapback]

Actually, it is because he was a Bill and I saw him at his best , that I am willing to accept him. I would be very nervous if I only had his Atlanta and Dallas stints to go on. I believe that Peerless can and will be a solid #2 for this team.

Also, I believe that in part, Moulds receiving average was so low because he was Holcomb's favorite target and therefore was the recipient of many 5-10 yard passes. Unfortunately, this, combined with his decreasing ability to break tackles, kept his YPC down. Others, like Evans, benefitted from JP's downfield passes, hopefully we will see a lot more of those this year.

If Price had never played for the Bills before, I think more Bills fans would like this move for Price.  We tend to write guys off as "a-holes", "losers" and "lazy" when they go elsewhere...it causes quite a quandry in "Bills-nation" when one of our prodigal sons comes back in the fold.

737076[/snapback]

That's like saying if TO had never played for the 49ers before I bet they'd have wanted him this year.

Price actually WAS all three of those things when he left Buffalo, it's not causing a quandary for me at all, once a scumbag always a scumbag.

Peerless revealed his character or lack of therein in a game vs. Pittsburgh. Ballw as fumbled, a Steeler picked it up, Price gave chase and was gaining on the man until the 35 yard line when Price stopped running and allowed the Steeler to score unchalleneged. He gave up on the play, as opposed to Moulds who ran 105 yards to catch a Raven 2 years ago.

Moulds wasn't an a-hole, loser or lazy when he left here, he was just too expensive for what we would have gotten in return, it was time to move on, thanks Eric and good luck. Price was a very different story. I want Price to succeed because it makes my team win, personally I hope another WR outplays him and takes his job because I know there will be a ball he short arms and/or flat out drops, or a DB he doesn't chase or a fumble he doesn't dive for or a jump ball he doesn't sell out to get because that's the kinda guy he is.

That's like saying if TO had never played for the 49ers before I bet they'd have wanted him this year.

Price actually WAS all three of those things when he left Buffalo, it's not causing a quandary for me at all, once a scumbag always a scumbag.

Peerless revealed his character or lack of therein in a game vs. Pittsburgh.  Ballw as fumbled, a Steeler picked it up, Price gave chase and was gaining on the man until the 35 yard line when Price stopped running and allowed the Steeler to score unchalleneged.  He gave up on the play, as opposed to Moulds who ran 105 yards to catch a Raven 2 years ago. 

Moulds wasn't an a-hole, loser or lazy when he left here, he was just too expensive for what we would have gotten in return, it was time to move on, thanks Eric and good luck.  Price was a very different story.  I want Price to succeed because it makes my team win, personally I hope another WR outplays him and takes his job because I know there will be a ball he short arms and/or flat out drops, or a DB he doesn't chase or a fumble he doesn't dive for or a jump ball he doesn't sell out to get because that's the kinda guy he is.

737585[/snapback]

I don't beleive the BS that Moulds is no longer an effective receiver. In my mind, he is still a top 15 receiver at the tender age of 33, and the Bills will miss him this year. His AYC has nothing to do with the fact he is older or slower. It had to do more so with the fact the Bills had a weak-armed QB in a system that did not allow Moulds to stretch the field.

I don't beleive the BS that Moulds is no longer an effective receiver. In my mind, he is still a top 15 receiver at the tender age of 33, and the Bills will miss him this year. His AYC has nothing to do with the fact he is older or slower. It had to do more so with the fact the Bills had a weak-armed QB in a system that did not allow Moulds to stretch the field.

737603[/snapback]

His AYC is even lower if you remember to subtract that one throw against New England where he I don't remember if was luck, placement, or his work that got him about 40-50 yards after the catch.

Peerless revealed his character or lack of therein in a game vs. Pittsburgh.  Ballw as fumbled, a Steeler picked it up, Price gave chase and was gaining on the man until the 35 yard line when Price stopped running and allowed the Steeler to score unchalleneged.  He gave up on the play, as opposed to Moulds who ran 105 yards to catch a Raven 2 years ago. 

737585[/snapback]

My point was, there is a faction of fans who tend to nail anyone that the Bills let go to a tree, and when they pick someone else up of marginal perceived value (see Andre Davis), we trip over ourselves to put a positive angle on it, defending the honor of our team. To some it seems that everone elses' castoffs, are better than our own...

Maybe not you specifically, but go back to the months of Decemeber through April, on the board....once it was apparent E Moulds was going to be elsewhere next season, he became all of those things you say he isn't, in the minds of many here...

As for Price...a lot of the criticism of him from his days in Buffalo was/is warranted. He was a little full of himself, he didn't put out on every play...but, if you listen to him now, he sounds like he has done a 180 turn as far as maturity goes...we will know if it is all just talk before too long.

I do know, when he was in Buffalo, Price was capable of a lot of great things as well. He had some of the best "after the catch" moves I have seen in any Bills player in many years, reminiscent of what Andre Reed used to do in the earlier years of his career. To me, his worst quality was a tenedancy to fumble at clutch moments...it happened 2 or 3 times while he was in Buffalo, where his extra effort cost the team a chance to win a game in the waining moments...the showboating, well, like it or not, it is part of the game...The fumble return? Critics accused Andre Reed of the same kind of "non-effort" all of the time.

I am just betting that his game is not diminished that much, and that his attitude is much better than it was from 1999-2002. He sounds humbled...

Is this Davis/Aiken/Jackson/Smith/Reed stuff a joke? How many balls did those guys catch? Davis is a one trick pony. I'll take Moulds when I need somebody to get open on a 3rd&5. Yes, we all know he's lost a few steps in speed.

I guess this is exhibit A re: what Bufftex is talking about.

i keep reading about this and you cant deny the stats but look at the routes that were being called for Moulds....how many 2 yard quick slants and square ins were called for him. When you play a QB that doesnt have a strong arm teams will crowd the line and its almost impossible to do anything with a 2 yard pattern with the defense playing up close like that

I dont argue that he has lost a step but he was rarely put in position to make plays, the coaching staff was just brutal