This is Whats wrong with the NFL

plenzmd1

Allright, this is what pisses me off bout the NFL and rookie contracts. Now, i do not presonnaly think Roy williams is all that great, especially in pass coverage, but he has been to three str8 probowls. He just sings a Five year extension with a littlle less than $12M guaranteed, total value of contract round 24. However, this a deal that a friggen rookie who has never played a down would turn down(if i undersatnd correctly, he is actually turning down a better contract from the bills).

Dam, that that drives me nuts.

Allright, this is what pisses me off bout the NFL and rookie contracts. Now, i do not presonnaly think Roy williams is all that great, especially in pass coverage, but he has been to three str8 probowls. He just sings a Five year extension with a littlle less than $12M guaranteed, total value of contract round 24. However, this a deal that a friggen rookie who has never played a down would turn down(if i undersatnd correctly, he is actually turning down a better contract from the bills).

Dam, that that drives me nuts.

734286[/snapback]

And this is why you don't take a S in the top 10. Safties don't get paid as much as other positions but position doesn't matter when it comes to the slotting of salaries in the draft.

And this is why you don't take a S in the top 10.  Safties don't get paid as much as other positions but position doesn't matter when it comes to the slotting of salaries in the draft.

734387[/snapback]

I think you can take a safety at that position but you better know that it isn't going to save you any money. An 8th pick is an 8th pick. If you aren't going to pay No. 8 money to a safety, don't take a safety at No. 8.

I think you can take a safety at that position but you better know that it isn't going to save you any money.  An 8th pick is an 8th pick.  If you aren't going to pay No. 8 money to a safety, don't take a safety at No. 8.

734576[/snapback]

Just to reiterate, driving back from VA Beach to richmond tonight heard this, have not had the time to verify yet. Vernon Davis, a rookie with exactely ZERO snaps in the NFL, is now the highest paid tight end EVER. Yep, this dude makes more than Tony Gonzalez, who many consider the best tight end of the last ten years.

Man, is this system outa whack or what? I cannot believe the current leadership and rank and file membership of the NFLPA would not have wanted to address this mess in the CBA. It just makes no sence to me that unproven rookies are paid more than guys who have already proved it on the field.

Am i the only one who finds that whacked?

Just to reiterate, driving back from VA Beach to richmond tonight heard this, have not had the time to verify yet. Vernon Davis, a rookie with exactely ZERO snaps in the NFL, is now the highest paid tight end EVER. Yep, this dude makes more than Tony Gonzalez, who many consider the best tight end of the last ten years.

Man, is this system outa whack or what? I cannot believe the current leadership and rank and file membership of the NFLPA would not have wanted to address this mess in the CBA. It just makes no sence to me that unproven rookies are paid more than guys who have already proved it on the field.

734964[/snapback]

I'm with you. It seems a$$ backwards. Its like the new guy at work making more than the top managers. <_<

734964[/snapback]

It's completely whacked. All Rookies should have a set salary for 1 year with incentives. Prove yourself in the NFL then get your $$$.

I wonder where Huff and Whitner will rank in comparison to the rest of the starting safeties in the NFL.

Pure BS.

I wonder where Huff and Whitner will rank in comparison to the rest of the starting safeties in the NFL.

Pure BS.

735099[/snapback]

Hard to be completely accuarte as Ed Reeds contract is for seven years, but really looks like a five year deal when you consider the last two years he probably will not see.

But the long and short it Huff and Whitner will be the highest paid safeties in the league.

Ed Reed, by all reports, 13M guaranteed, with small base salaries. So we will be paying our unproven, undersized, young , safety MORE than Ed Reed makes. Nice system.

This is entirely why I , as a GM, would trade out of any top 12 slot in the draft. Pure guess as to whether the dude can make the transition to the next level, and you have to pay them as if they are the best at their position. As a Bills fan, who you want right now, ED REEd or Donte Whitner? I take Reed for less money