Here's an Interesting Theory...

In 1980, the Browns acquired Joe Delamielleure from the Bills for a second and third round pick. Between 1980 and 1985, the Browns traded three No. 1s, two round 3 selections, a round 5 pick, and a round 6 pick to obtain Tom Cousineau and Bernie Kosar.

That's nine draft choices for three players. Granted, one's a Hall of Famer and one was a solid player (I thought 20 years ago Kosar would be a HOFer). Cousineau was easily the weakest of the three; he only played about six years. But, admittedly, we were getting Joe D. on the downside of his career.

The theory is that the trades from Cleveland to Buffalo substantially helped the Bills set up their Super Bowl runs in the 1990s. I know that one of the No. 1's traded for Cousineau resulted in Jim Kelly.

Anybody got their media guide handy? :blink:

Mike

In 1980, the Browns acquired Joe Delamielleure from the Bills for a second and third round pick.  Between 1980 and 1985, the Browns traded three No. 1s, two round 3 selections, a round 5 pick, and a round 6 pick to obtain Tom Cousineau and Bernie Kosar.

That's nine draft choices for three players.  Granted, one's a Hall of Famer and one was a solid player (I thought 20 years ago Kosar would be a HOFer).  Cousineau was easily the weakest of the three; he only played about six years.  But, admittedly, we were getting Joe D. on the downside of his career.   

The theory is that the trades from Cleveland to Buffalo substantially helped the  Bills set up their Super Bowl runs in the 1990s.  I know that one of the No. 1's traded for Cousineau resulted in Jim Kelly. 

Anybody got their media guide handy?  :blink:

Mike

731024[/snapback]

OJ Simpson led to Jim Kelly. The Bills traded Simpson to the Fortyniners for a raft of draft picks including the one they ultimately used to draft Cousineau. In face, I believe he was the number one pick in the entire draft that year. He signed with the CFL where he led Montreal to the Grey Cup. Eventually he wanted to get in to the NFL but Buffalo wouldn't sell his rights. Eventually he signed with the Bills who immediately traded him to Cleveland for a pick they later used to draft Jim Kelly.

OJ Simpson led to Jim Kelly.  The Bills traded Simpson to the Fortyniners for a raft of draft picks including the one they ultimately used to draft Cousineau.  In face, I believe he was the number one pick in the entire draft that year.  He signed with the CFL where he led Montreal to the Grey Cup.  Eventually he wanted to get in to the NFL but Buffalo wouldn't sell his rights.  Eventually he signed with the Bills who immediately traded him to Cleveland for a pick they later used to draft Jim Kelly.

731032[/snapback]

Hmmm...OJ to Kelly is a pretty convoluted scenario, but I can't fault your timeline. I believe you are correct.

Cousineau was the No. 1 overall pick in 1979...I could not remember how the Bills got the No. 1 pick that year, because they were 5-11 in 1978, which wasn't the worst overall record.

He did spurn the Bills and sign with Montreal (remember when that could actually happen? A high pick spurning the NFL to play in Canada?). And then, the Browns obtained his rights for the No. 14 pick in 1982...that pick was Jim Kelly.

Mike

Mike

The 49ers were 1-13 and EARNED the first pick, the problem for them was that they did, indeed, trade it to the Bills for non other than O.J.!!! Hence, the Bills DID select Tom Cousineau and he bolted to Canada! When he wandered back (T.C., that is), the Browns wanted him. A player from "The" Ohio State University in Cousineau was probably a PR move, to some degree! The pick for Jim Kelly was the 14th pick that they acquired from Cleveland. So in a convoluted way, O.J. was a catylst to drafting Kelly in 1983. I believe the Bills owned the Supplemental #1 pick that the Browns wanted for Bernie Kosar. I don't remember what the Bills garnered for this trade as far as who the player ended up being.

I believe the Bills owned the Supplemental #1 pick that the Browns wanted for Bernie Kosar. I don't remember what the Bills garnered for this trade as far as who the player ended up being.

They got draft picks that were used to select Derrick Burroughs and Hal Garner, if I remember correctly.

The 49ers were 1-13 and EARNED the first pick, the problem for them was that they did, indeed, trade it to the Bills for non other than O.J.!!! Hence, the Bills DID select Tom Cousineau and he bolted to Canada! When he wandered back (T.C., that is), the Browns wanted him. A player from "The" Ohio State University in Cousineau was probably a PR move, to some degree! The pick for Jim Kelly was the 14th pick that they acquired from Cleveland. So in a convoluted way, O.J. was a catylst to drafting Kelly in 1983. I believe the Bills owned the Supplemental #1 pick that the Browns wanted for Bernie Kosar. I don't remember what the Bills garnered for this trade as far as who the player ended up being.

731060[/snapback]

There is a good lesson in there for us arm chair NFL GM's. Landing a superstar can pay benefits for years, even decades. The trick is to trade that superstar a year or two before his skills collapse. I always thought that along the line, we probably should have traded Bruce Smith while he was still near the top of his game, perhaps a year or two before he left.

There is a good lesson in there for us arm chair NFL GM's.  Landing a superstar can pay benefits for years, even decades.  The trick is to trade that superstar a year or two before his skills collapse.  I always thought that along the line, we probably should have traded Bruce Smith while he was still near the top of his game, perhaps a year or two before he left.

731352[/snapback]

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Assuming the Bills could have gotten a legitimate package for him (which shouldn't have been too much of a stretch), I would like to have seen them trade him anytime after ~'96.

I, unlike my two colleages, have the opposite feel for Bruce. He should have retired a Buffalo Bill, as should have Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed! I'm really upset with both management and players these days for the total lack of this virtue! Other teams, historically, let their "fading" heroes play out their final days in the only uniform they ever knew. Just me, I guess....