Works got me down....but the start of football

I have been working at a Southern California University for the past 7 years.....started as a temp, worked at one College (they have colleges within the University) for over 3 years before the UC Budget cuts forced the deletion of my position so I got layed off....but caught back on at a different unit and have been working their for nearly the past 3 years

Prior to that I served 10 years in the Air Force.....

I am feeling that this job is slowly winding down for me which is a little frustrating......I have 7 years here and I am not getting any younger (37 two days ago) I enjoy the work I do because I like working with the students (I work in Student Affairs) but from even the jump at this job there is a faculty member that has had it out for me (he terrorizes the staff)

Well about a month ago I made my first mistake at this job and gave a file to a student that they were not supposed to have. It did not contain sensitive information but they are not supposed to have it and I blew it and gave it to her. I freely admitted the mistake and apologized and she had the file for about 5 minutes because between me and my supervisor we realized the mistake and got the file back.

But that was not good enough for this professor....he wanted me punished (I beleive he sees this as his opportunity to get me canned) I was given a Letter of Reprimand by my dept and because of this letter I am being blackballed from a lot of transfer opportunities.

Our union stepped in and said the LOR was way to strict a punishment considering I had a completely clean file. There is a grievance filed and that is ongoing.

Meanwhile.....I feel like a smuck. and frankly have been down on myslelf for a while now. Turning another year older and knowing I am going to need to look for another job doesn't help any.

Just venting...... ;) Go Bills

did you say a Southern California University or a Southern California Kindergarten for whiny little bitches????? :blink: , sounds like that professor needs a bit of maturing to do

I have been working at a Southern California University for the past 7 years.....started as a temp, worked at one College (they have colleges within the University) for over 3 years before the UC Budget cuts forced the deletion of my position so I got layed off....but caught back on at a different unit and have been working their for nearly the past 3 years

Prior to that I served 10 years in the Air Force.....

I am feeling that this job is slowly winding down for me which is a little frustrating......I have 7 years here and I am not getting any younger (37 two days ago) I enjoy the work I do because I like working with the students (I work in Student Affairs) but from even the jump at this job there is a faculty member that has had it out for me (he terrorizes the staff)

Well about a month ago I made my first mistake at this job and gave a file to a student that they were not supposed to have.  It did not contain sensitive information but they are not supposed to have it and I blew it and gave it to her.  I freely admitted the mistake and apologized and she had the file for about 5 minutes because between me and my supervisor we realized the mistake and got the file back.

But that was not good enough for this professor....he wanted me punished (I beleive he sees this as his opportunity to get me canned) I was given a Letter of Reprimand by my dept and because of this letter I am being blackballed from a lot of transfer opportunities.

Our union stepped in and said the LOR was way to strict a punishment considering I had a completely clean file.  There is a grievance filed and that is ongoing.

Meanwhile.....I feel like a smuck.  and frankly have been down on myslelf for a while now.  Turning another year older and knowing I am going to need to look for another job doesn't help any.

Just venting...... :blink:  Go Bills

730324[/snapback]

did you say a Southern California University or a Southern California Kindergarten for whiny little bitches????? :blink: , sounds like that professor needs a bit of maturing to do

730676[/snapback]

Aren't Southern California and whiny little bitches synonymous?

Yes this professor is a whiny little person who really takes great pleasure in causing misery for the staff......it is so bad that more then one person around here has hinted that the world would be better around him....

Unfortuanately the faculty hold all the power and treat us less educated like a bunch of chimps who are lucky to have their jobs.

Me...the reason why I feel like a smuck is because I have all this drama on the job and all I am really looking to do is just feed my family and pay my bills....sometimes I wonder if I was meant to do something else but just missed the boat.

Me...the reason why I feel like a smuck is because I have all this drama on the job and all I am really looking to do is just feed my family and pay my bills....sometimes I wonder if I was meant to do something else but just missed the boat.

730728[/snapback]

Well, welcome to the club, but stop this I'm a schmuck nonsense, John. It's just not so...:blink:

You were in the Air Force, John?  So was I, though only for 2.5 years.  I finished my overseas tour, then got out (Graham-Rudman).

730908[/snapback]

Served 10 years.....most of them right in this area (did a 4 year stint in Cape Cod MA)

Norton AFB CA was my first stint.....it closed....then I moved to March AFB CA...it closed as well.

Military made so much more sense to me.......

Things don't happen to you, John. You let them happen to you.

The moment in time when you fully accept this truth, your life will begin to change.

730850[/snapback]

Understood LA....

I used to be a much more stand up guy......but fear of losing it all because of being unemployed has turned me into pretty much a piece of gelatin (in my eyes anyway)

I know this Prof has a master plan to get me out......and in years past I would have invited this guy to the parking lot to settle our difference (he would never do it...he would lose his advantage he has now)

I of course am applying to other places.....I would much rather work closer to home.

Understood LA....

I used to be a much more stand up guy......but fear of losing it all because of being unemployed has turned me into pretty much a piece of gelatin (in my eyes anyway)

I know this Prof has a master plan to get me out......and in years past I would have invited this guy to the parking lot to settle our difference (he would never do it...he would lose his advantage he has now)

I of course am applying to other places.....I would much rather work closer to home.

730943[/snapback]

It's not about being a stand-up guy. It's about, in part, realizing that every effort -- emotional or otherwise -- that you expend on the fear is an effort that can be better used to change your situation. It's tough to do, but you need to get your focus off what's bothering you and put it all toward fixing it.

On the other hand, I've been to Hemet a few times and I'm sure that town can bring down anyone's psyche.