Steely Dan Concert Surprise!

The Dean

Saw the Dan again last night. Row DD dead center. Michael McDonald's band opened and, believe it or not, they were real good. Mike also sat in for the last half of the Dan and the encores. Biggest surprise of the night was the introduction of "Everyone's favorite redhead" the Bay area's Bonnie Raitt. She sang a bluesy version of Dirty Work that kicked ass. It was clear she was excited to sing with the Dan as she hugged the backup singers on the way out and she was shaking like a little girl with excitement. By the way, she looked GREAT.

This tour is being questioned by some as it is ALL old Steely Dan (nothing from the past few albums) and is really sort of "Greatest Hit" oriented. I'll tell you this...the band never sounded better and these songs are great concert songs.

Setlist:

Band (minus Walt and Don) play Turtle Talk (I know it as a Stan Kenton song). Straight Jazz

Walt and Dan come out and play Boddisatva (a kickass version)

Time out of Mind (Fagen plays a mean melodica)

Aja

I got the News

Hey 19

Deacon Blues (great sax solos)

Josie

Green Earings. Very jazzy version. worth the price of admission by itself

Black Friday (Awesome)

Dirty Work w/Bonnie Raitt singing lead

Some James Brownesque Funk leading into band intros

MCDonald Joins band and they play a reggae inspired version of Show Biz Kids

Do It Again

Peg

Don't Take me alive (Fagen clearly has fun singing this song)

Kid Charlemagne (Yes, there's gas in the car)

Encore

FM

My Old School

Outstanding. I saw Bonnie Raitt a few years ago perform a joint concert with Jackson Browne and Bruce Hornsby and she was just terrific. I've only been to one concert where a "surprise" guest was brought in: Lyle Lovett brought in Ricky Lee Jones for a couple of songs. I didn't even know she was still alive. :)

Outstanding. I saw Bonnie Raitt a few years ago perform a joint concert with Jackson Browne and Bruce Hornsby and she was just terrific. I've only been to one concert where a "surprise" guest was brought in: Lyle Lovett brought in Ricky Lee Jones for a couple of songs. I didn't even know she was still alive. :)

729610[/snapback]

Ricky is alive and well...as is Bonnie. I saw Bonnie a few years ago in a double-bill with John Prine. they ended up doing several songs together. Special guests (when appropriate) can be a very nice surprise, indeed. RLJ with Lyle sounds like a perfect match.

Ricky is alive and well...as is Bonnie.  I saw Bonnie a few years ago in a double-bill with John Prine.  they ended up doing several songs together.  Special guests (when appropriate) can be a very nice surprise, indeed.  RLJ with Lyle sounds like a perfect match.

729613[/snapback]

She sings backup on a song called "North Dakota" on his "Live In Texas" album if you want to sample it. A great album to have at any length.

She sings backup on a song called "North Dakota" on his "Live In Texas" album if you want to sample it. A great album to have at any length.

729627[/snapback]

I have a few LL discs...but, not that one. I'll pick it up on your recommendation. After all, you steered me right with Holly Cole (her version of the Beach Boy's God Only Knows is mesmerizing).

I have a few LL discs...but, not that one.  I'll pick it up on your recommendation.  After all, you steered me right with Holly Cole (her version of the Beach Boy's God Only Knows is mesmerizing).

729629[/snapback]

Outstanding. I had no idea you picked some up. She's really got an amazing voice.

"Live in Texas" is truly a great album if you like LL. Francine Reed gets to toss out her chops in a crazy version of "Wild Women (Don't Get The Blues)" and does a swinging duet with him called "What Do You Do (When It Quits Being New)." He does classic stuff like "If I Had A Boat" and "She's No Lady, She's My Wife" and his brass section is just outstanding throughout.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

I was just the reading post about the letter to Owen Wilson and the lame, misinformed reactions to some of the folks around here. Instead of throwing my two cents into the ring, I'll post on this thread about seeing them in Vegas last Saturday and what a great show it was. Same set list as the SF show, except we got Cousin Dupree instead of Deacon Blues, alsoI was hoping to hear some cuts off the new Fagen album. Curious why they didnt do I Got The News when McDonald played the rest of the set with them. Next up, Roger Waters-Hollywood Bowl Oct 6, and The Who, Hollywood Bowl, Nov5th.

I was just the reading post about the letter to Owen Wilson and the lame, misinformed reactions to some of the folks around here. Instead of throwing my two cents into the ring, I'll post on this thread about seeing them in Vegas last Saturday and what a great show it was. Same set list as the SF show, except we got Cousin Dupree instead of Deacon Blues, alsoI was hoping to hear some cuts off the new Fagen album. Curious why they didnt do I Got The News when McDonald played the rest of the set with them. Next up, Roger Waters-Hollywood Bowl Oct 6, and The Who, Hollywood Bowl, Nov5th.

730220[/snapback]

I don't consider myself misinformed, I've just been informed via enough overheard playback of Steely Dan that I don't care for their music, and their "ha, ha, aren't we clever now," ways.

Outstanding. I saw Bonnie Raitt a few years ago perform a joint concert with Jackson Browne and Bruce Hornsby and she was just terrific. I've only been to one concert where a "surprise" guest was brought in: Lyle Lovett brought in Ricky Lee Jones for a couple of songs. I didn't even know she was still alive. :blink:

729610[/snapback]

I was working at Maple Drive in Beverly Hills about 15 years ago and they did a benefit in the restaurant on a Saturday afternoon for about 25 people. One of the best times to work in an open kitchen. Very cool. Needless to say, we didn't get much prep done for the evening. :blink:

Dean,

Thanks for the update. I'm bummed I'll miss Steely Dan when they play in Charlotte August 12. I'll be sitting on the 50 yard line for the Bills/Panthers game instead. Oh well.

731349[/snapback]

I consider my self one of the biggest Dan fans and among the original fans. But, I'd make that call too. It IS the Bills, after all, even if it's preseason. Now if you lived in Buffalo, it might be a different story.