Brooks selected by Cincy

Dan III

Wow, what a rapsheet the Bengals are turning out lately. This is the latest thug to be added to their team.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind having Brooks, but my god, Marvin Lewis is putting together his version of "The Longest Yard Bengals" over there.

The Bengals have been doing this for years, long before Marvin Lewis got there. The best of their gambles on a guy who was a thug coming out of college was Corey Dillon, a guy we passed on when we took Antowain Smith.

We kid the Dolphins, but their picks are choirboys compared to the Bengals. When I see a guy with talent and a rap sheet, the first 2 teams I expect them to go to are Cincinnati and Seattle. For some reason, Mike Holmgren thinks he's running a halfway house for alcoholics and criminals.

...and speaking of talented players with questionable character:

Bengals | O. Thurman suspended for four games

Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:35:08 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals LB Odell Thurman has been suspended for four games of the NFL season for violating the league's substance abuse policy, according to a source close to the situation. The source said it was not necessarily a positive drug test that led to the suspension, as a missed test counts the same as a positive test.

The Bengals have been doing this for years, long before Marvin Lewis got there.  The best of their gambles on a guy who was a thug coming out of college was Corey Dillon, a guy we passed on when we took Antowain Smith. 

We kid the Dolphins, but their picks are choirboys compared to the Bengals.  When I see a guy with talent and a rap sheet, the first 2 teams I expect them to go to are Cincinnati and Seattle.  For some reason, Mike Holmgren thinks he's running a halfway house for alcoholics and criminals.

...and speaking of talented players with questionable character:

Bengals | O. Thurman suspended for four games

Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:35:08 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals LB Odell Thurman has been suspended for four games of the NFL season for violating the league's substance abuse policy, according to a source close to the situation. The source said it was not necessarily a positive drug test that led to the suspension, as a missed test counts the same as a positive test.

722743[/snapback]

Wide receiver Chris Henry, a third-round choice last year, has been arrested four times in the past year.

Brooks for the most part isn't that bad, he had some drug issues (minor) and sort of a lousy work ethic.

He was kicked out of UVA because he refused to come to spring practice if he was going to be suspended indefinantly for the upcoming season for failing a drug test that was a year old. Al Groh knew about it, but when it started to make the rounds in the press, Groh had some pressure to do something about it.

The thing that sucks is that he was lead to believe for about three months by UVA that he would be fine and that the suspension would be a set amount of time (I had heard two games). The AD at UVA then decided it was time to clean house of some undesirables and Groh kicked Brooks and two others of the team for "undisclosed off field issues".

There's no doubt he was caught with pot and no doubt that he was full of himself and had a father that thought he was the DC of the Cavs and should have been suspended, but how UVA handled it (with a nice little smear job and delayed announcements) was really in poor taste, especially with the things that Wali Lundi, Blackstock, and Brad Butler got away with over their time in Charlottesville.

I sure wouldn't compare him to AJ Nicholson.

Here's an optimistic voice... :)

"I've known Ahmad since he was in high school," Bengals linebackers coach Ricky Hunley said Thursday in a statement released by the team. "And there's no denying he has behaved through much of his career as a very immature individual. But I believe he's a young man who can learn to do things the right way, and he has exceptional talent as a player.

"He'll get the chance to show he can use that talent to help our team. What he does with it is up to him in the end."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../607140348/1066