Anyone Remember Joey Dusina?

blzrul

Hmmm....I just looked him up in the 1993 edition of the Pro Football Encyclopedia...it lists every NFL player from 1960-1993 (the modern era). There is no Joey Dusina listed. I looked through the whole "D" listing, nothing close. Maybe he had a try-out? Practice squad? Actually, I may be mistaken, I don't they didn't had a practice squad until 1987.

Maybe he was a scab player in 1987? The book only lists "scab" players who spent some legit time on an NFL roster. They list, for instance, Brian McClure, the Bills all-world scab QB (6'6"- out of Bowling Green!), because he spent the week or two after the strike on the Bills roster. They do not, however, list the star running back from my high school (Kenmore West!), who spent two of three weeks on the Bills scab roster, Mike Panipinto...

Or, maybe he was fibbing a bit...when I was about 8 years old, my sisters' boyfriend, who played at UB, had a tryout with the Bills. He spent about a week in training camp, 1973. He hung on long enough to become a buddy of John Leypoldt. Dick, my sisters boyfriend, got cut pretty early on, but I got to go with him one Saturday (this was during the football season!) to meet Leypoldt and about 6 other Bills players (Joe D and Leypoldt are the only ones I remember), as they worked on setting up a bar/pool hall that Leypoldt was starting. To me, Dick was always a "former-Bill"...maybe Joey Dusina has a story like that?

Hmmm....I just looked him up in the 1993 edition of the Pro Football Encyclopedia...it lists every NFL player from 1960-1993 (the modern era).  There is no Joey Dusina listed.  I looked through the whole "D" listing, nothing close.  Maybe he had a try-out?  Practice squad?  Actually, I may be mistaken, I don't they didn't had a practice squad until 1987. 

Maybe he was a scab player in 1987?  The book only lists "scab" players who spent some legit time on an NFL roster.  They list, for instance, Brian McClure, the Bills all-world scab QB (6'6"- out of Bowling Green!), because he spent the week or two after the strike on the Bills roster.  They do not, however, list the star running back from my high school (Kenmore West!), who spent two of three weeks on the Bills scab roster, Mike Panipinto...

Or, maybe he was fibbing a bit...when I was about 8 years old, my sisters' boyfriend, who played at UB, had a tryout with the Bills.  He spent about a week in training camp, 1973.  He hung on long enough to become a buddy of John Leypoldt.  Dick, my sisters boyfriend, got cut pretty early on, but I got to go with him one Saturday (this was during the football season!) to meet Leypoldt and about 6 other Bills players (Joe D and Leypoldt are the only ones I remember), as they worked on setting up a bar/pool hall that Leypoldt was starting.  To me, Dick was always a "former-Bill"...maybe Joey Dusina has a story like that?

708137[/snapback]

My husband found him and matched the teams and times. You can sure tell he was/is an athlete, he hasn't gone to fat.

He was probably second string is all. He only lasted in Dallas a year or so then went to the Raiders and Bears (according to what my husband found) and he still lives in Chicago.

My husband found him and matched the teams and times.  You can sure tell he was/is an athlete, he hasn't gone to fat.

He was probably second string is all.  He only lasted in Dallas a year or so then went to the Raiders and Bears (according to what my husband found) and he still lives in Chicago.

708301[/snapback]

Where did your husband find that info? What years did Dusina play? The Pro Football Encyclopedia is pretty extensive. About 800 pages of nothing but player profiles, and stats. It lists everyone who was on an active roster for an NFL team, from 1960-93. Even second stringers.

Where did your husband find that info?  What years did Dusina play?  The Pro Football Encyclopedia is pretty extensive.  About 800 pages of nothing but player profiles, and stats.  It lists everyone who was on an active roster for an NFL team, from 1960-93.  Even second stringers.

708348[/snapback]

Quick Google, got this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

I couldnt find him on any Cowboys or raiders rosters either...

Quick Google, got this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

I couldnt find him on any Cowboys or raiders rosters either...

708363[/snapback]

Yeah, I found that same picture. It identifies him as a Chicago Bears star. I also found some other web-sight, someting about "athletes helping kids" where they list a bunch of NFL players who contributed time to some charity event.

Strangely, it doesn't give a year. It lists Dusina as a memeber of the Los Angeles Raiders. It also lists Jim Jeffcoat, as a member of the Buffalo Bills. If memory serves, Jeffcoat was with the Bills in 1995 and 1996? So, it wasn't the mid-80's, I don't think. I think Dusina was a guy who hung on practice squads, and traing camps in the early-mid 90's, but never made an active roster. I looked up an all-time Raiders and Bears roster, he isn't on either.

http://www.raiders.com/history/alltime_roster_d.jsp

http://www.chicagobears.com/history/all_time_roster.jsp#d