Steelers QB Ben R. In Motorcycle Crash

Mark VI

Do you have anything to back up that opinion or are you just talking off the top of your head?  I'm not trying to turn this into an argument I'm just curious.  Because in my uninformed opinion it seems most motorcycle accidents are caused by motocyclists acting like idiots.

707526[/snapback]

Sorry, I didn't check the board again until today. Which opinion, exactly, are you referencing? Assuming it's my contention that a LARGE %age of motorcyle/car accidents are caused by car drivers, here is my response:

First, it's worth noting that your contention, that "most motorcycle accidents are caused by motocyclists acting like idiots" is pretty much non-sequitar to my post, since I was referring specifically to "bike/car interactions" i.e., a bike hits a car, or vice versa., while "motorcycle accidents" as used by you would include pretty much everything that results in falling down - many of which do not involve cars (although I hear a surprising number do involve Bambi).

Second, even if we use the more restrictive crash set, it's still quite possible for both statements to be true simultaneously. If, for example, 51% of bike/car crashes were due to squids (moron motorcyclists) and 49% were due to moron cagers, then both your statement and mine would be true, assuming you'll concede that 49% is a LARGE percentage. (If you don't think 49% is very large, then we have a fundamental disagreement on the meaning of "LARGE".)

As it turns out, I did look up the NHTSA statistics years ago, when I lived in NorCal, and although I do not have the #'s anymore (and they'd be somewhat out of date if I did), my recollection is that by far the most common proximate cause of bike/car crashes was failure to yield by the driver of the automobile while attempting a left turn. Anecdotally, this is also true in my experience, as both of my bike crashes happened that way. The (distant) second most common cause was loss of control due to excessive speed by the motorcyclist, I *think*.

In conclusion - yes there are a lot of terrible motorcycle drivers out there. Most of them way too immature and inexperienced on bikes way too fast for their skill level. And there are also a lot of terrible car drivers that are unaware of anything on the road smaller than a tractor-trailer.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another problem with these johnny come lately motorcycle riders who have a lot of coin to invest in a bike, is they buy bikes with too much power. For at least your first year of riding, you should be riding something small and easy to handle (650 or under) and gradually work your way up. These clowns are running out and buying 1200+ bikes and its too much for them to handle and manuver.

707639[/snapback]

This post is dead-nuts right on. For a first bike, get something small and used and trash the hell out of it; learn how to start, stop, turn, steer with brakes, do wheelies, brakies, burn-outs, speed-shift, go uphill, downhill, on dirt, sand, gravel, mud, slush, water, ice, snow, horse-turds, fall down without getting hurt, and THEN get yourself a friggin' Hayabusa, or whatever.

My first bike was a Suzuki GS 550E, and I likely would have killed myself on anything much bigger (OK, admittedly, when I got it, it was already set up for racing, with rear-sets, reverse shifter, hot cams, and all that crap, but at least the thought was there. 0:))

By the time I was riding GSXR's I knew how to control my vehicle, and equally importantly, how to anticipate when/where others couldn't/wouldn't, and as a result, avoided countless bad situations where I could have "Roethlisbergered" myself.

Yeah, well a "red blooded American citizen" with a stomach ache costs far less than an illegal alien giving birth to an anchor baby with complications. It might matter more to you if your wife was in labor. Think so?

That said, have fun being trendy and supporting the liberal cause of the week, as citizens are stripped of our rights.  0:)

I don't suppose we will ever agree on the issue of rights for American Citizens. You see, I want Americans to have rights that are not based on your whims, nor whatever is trendy to the fascistic fringe element of the left (or phoney hucksters on the right for that matter).

Thank you for the dialogue.

707915[/snapback]

Funny how I wasn't the one to bring up illegal immigration, but when I point out the the problem is with the uninsured (both legal and illegal) I am accused of taking up a trendy liberal cause of supporting full social benefits for those here illegally and doing so at the expense of stripping them from citizens.

Seems to me that the trendy issue of the week is actually blaming illegal immigrants for all the problems of society. Having trouble getting hospital services? It's the illegal immigrants! Couldn't possibly be the working poor with no health insurance - they're citizens!

[Edit: to further prove my point, there are an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the US at the present time, and 48 million Americans without healthcare. Even if we assume that the 48 million people include ALL of the illegals, that would still leave us with 36 million CITIZENS without healthcare. Complain about the illegal immigrant clogging the hospital emergency room, but don't forget about the 3 U.S. CITIZENS sitting next to that person.]

Who's steering the conversation to the cause of the week now?

One other thing Big Ben is going to be dealing with: Endless questions from every single reporter, writer and fan on the street who sees him. Living here in

Youngstown (about an hour from Pittsburgh), and knowing the frenzy that the Pittsburgh radio, TV and print reporters can work themselves into, I think the hardest part for Ben is yet to come. They will hound him unmercifully.

I'm glad he's going to be OK, but knowing the constantly congested state of

the Pittsburgh roads, riding a bike without a helmet was an incredibly stupid thing to do. I know he's in his 20's and thinks he's immortal, but maybe this will turn out to be a good life lesson for him in the long run.

One other thing Big Ben is going to be dealing with:  Endless questions from every single reporter, writer and fan on the street who sees him.  Living here in

Youngstown (about an hour from Pittsburgh), and knowing the frenzy that the Pittsburgh radio, TV and print reporters can work themselves into, I think the hardest part for Ben is yet to come.  They will hound him unmercifully. 

I'm glad he's going to be OK, but knowing the constantly congested state of

the Pittsburgh roads, riding a bike without a helmet was an incredibly stupid thing to do.  I know he's in his 20's and thinks he's immortal, but maybe this will turn out to be a good life lesson for him in the long run.

707962[/snapback]

I can remember him saying back when Win$low had his idiotic episode, he said basically this: "I'm careful and ride smartly"

really? I think what he did was even dumber than what KW2 did. No license, no helmet, and the fact that he saw what happened to the Browns TE and still he went on riding like that? I think even KW2 was smart enough to wear a hemmit! (and I really blasted my Cleveland buds about him when he wrecked)

On the radio this morning they had a local reporter in Pittsburgh on. It is now being reported that in PA, it is a law that when you get your motorcycle license you are required to wear a helmet for the first two years. Good Ole Big Ben did not even have a motorcycle license. He only had a permit which had expired in March. What a douche bag.

The Chunky Soup Curse strikes again.

Big Ben was scheduled to tape a soup commercial today with his mother.  Players better start avioding Chunky soup like the plague.

Damn you Campbells, damn you to hell.

707811[/snapback]

Reggie White never suffered that fate.