The "new" NHL rules

The Saturday Sabres - 'Canes game was the first hockey game I've watched since the 1999 jobbing in Dallas. Nice performance by the goalie Miller in the last few minutes - Carolina did a great job keeping the action in the Buffalo end.

Granted, things are more under control in the play-offs - reduce the foolish penalties, but I observed but one elbowing call (a Bflo player fending off a hit), and one minor shoving match around the crease.

There was only a handful of smashing a player into the boards, no high sticks, no cross-checks, no hooking, no charging, no hip checks, just the one elbowing call. I think there were one or two interference calls, but I didn't notice anyone with sticks off the ice diddling with the puck carrier.

I saw offensive players hanging around the crease, with neither the goalie whacking them with his stick, nor defenders sending them sprawling in grand fashion.

Have the "new" rules that I've noticed some posters mention in this or that Sabres thread made most of that stuff go by the wayside?

Have the "new" rules that I've noticed some posters mention in this or that Sabres thread made most of that stuff go by the wayside?

695683[/snapback]

Yep...Zero tolerance on interference, hooking and holding/obstruction.

So...the NHL is being run by a local school board.  0:)

Are the team pre-game meals these days,  fat-free Oreos dipped in skim milk? <_<

695690[/snapback]

IMO it makes for a much more exciting game that relies on skills...speed kills.

So...the NHL is being run by a local school board.  0:)

Are the team pre-game meals these days,  fat-free Oreos dipped in skim milk? <_<

695690[/snapback]

Don't worry, the "new" NHL is far, far better than the one from 1999. In fact, if the 2006 Sabres played the 1999 Sabres with the new rules, even Hasek couldn't stop them.

IMO it makes for a much more exciting game that relies on skills...speed kills.

695696[/snapback]

It seemed to me, to be leaning towards Olympic-style hockey. I did notice that the defensemen weren't doing much backward skating to protect their blue line. I gather that the defenders skating forward and hanging deep in the zone and dropping down to block shots is the current hot strategy.

Don't worry, the "new" NHL is far, far better than the one from 1999.  In fact, if the 2006 Sabres played the 1999 Sabres with the new rules, even Hasek couldn't stop them.

695697[/snapback]

What if the 2006 Sabres played the 1999 Sabres with the old rules? <_<

It is funny, the old argument was that they would not make calls in the playoffs, the thought being that they would let the players dicide the game as opposed to the officials. But if you think about it, the exact opposite was happening. By not making the call the game was out of control. By making the calls as they do in the new NHL the game is fully in the hands of the players. The old way would be like the NFL calling pass interference all season and then letting it go out the window for the playoffs.

...and go Sabre's

Saying the 'new' NHL can be a little misleading, because the rule changes that really opened up the game (penalizing hooking, holding, interference) weren't rule changes at all. They have been on the books forever. Only this year, they're actully enforcing them. Novel concept, right?

The four major rule changes, which are all great decisions by the league:

1. Eliminating the 2-line pass rule: Makes it harder for teams to play the suffocating trap.

2. Restricting where goalies can play the puck with their stick: Goalies can only play the puck in front of the endline, or in a small section behind the net, or else it's a 2 minute penalty. Promotes time in the offensive zone.

3. Shooting the puck out of play: A 2:00 penalty if a player (goalie included) shoots the puck directly into the stands with no deflections off the glass or another player, ref, etc. Pressured defensman can't just fire the puck into the crowd.

4. No line change for the team that ices the puck: Logical rule.

Those rules have all served their purpose, and been beneficial in creating a more attractive style of play. But the crack down of the hooking, clutching, and holding has really made the difference. Skating is now at a premium. And give the NHL and the refs credit. Every year they said they were going to whistle the obstruction penalties, but they never did. This year they have stuck with it, and they have a better product because of it.

To be quite honest I think the goalie "play zone" is not really a necessary rule, and in the long run will get the NHL in trouble when they have to call a penalty like that late in an important playoff game.....but time will tell I guess.

Saying the 'new' NHL can be a little misleading, because the rule changes that really opened up the game (penalizing hooking, holding, interference) weren't rule changes at all.  They have been on the books forever.  Only this year, they're actully enforcing them.  Novel concept, right?

1.  Eliminating the 2-line pass rule:  Makes it harder for teams to play the suffocating trap.

2.  Restricting where goalies can play the puck with their stick:  Goalies can only play the puck in front of the endline, or in a small section behind the net, or else it's a 2 minute penalty.  Promotes time in the offensive zone.

3.  Shooting the puck out of play:  A 2:00 penalty if a player (goalie included) shoots the puck directly into the stands with no deflections off the glass or another player, ref, etc.  Pressured defensman can't just fire the puck into the crowd.

4.  No line change for the team that ices the puck: Logical rule.

Those rules have all served their purpose, and been beneficial in creating a more attractive style of play.  But the crack down of the hooking, clutching, and holding has really made the difference.  Skating is now at a premium.  And give the NHL and the refs credit.  Every year they said they were going to whistle the obstruction penalties, but they never did.  This year they have stuck with it, and they have a better product because of it.

695747[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply. That clarifies it for me, not having had seen a game for so many years. I agree with #3, but the rest seems to take some nuance, tradition, and strategy out of the game, in favor of scoring and skating.

I prefer the older ways - helmets, ugh! <_< , but things change. That Sabs-Canes game was fun to watch. An impression I got was that once a club gets the puck inside the blue line, they were able to keep possession longer than in years past.

I'll have to pay closer attention in the next game I watch.

Saying the 'new' NHL can be a little misleading, because the rule changes that really opened up the game (penalizing hooking, holding, interference) weren't rule changes at all.  They have been on the books forever.  Only this year, they're actully enforcing them.  Novel concept, right?

1.  Eliminating the 2-line pass rule:  Makes it harder for teams to play the suffocating trap.

2.  Restricting where goalies can play the puck with their stick:  Goalies can only play the puck in front of the endline, or in a small section behind the net, or else it's a 2 minute penalty.  Promotes time in the offensive zone.

3.  Shooting the puck out of play:  A 2:00 penalty if a player (goalie included) shoots the puck directly into the stands with no deflections off the glass or another player, ref, etc.  Pressured defensman can't just fire the puck into the crowd.

4.  No line change for the team that ices the puck: Logical rule.

Those rules have all served their purpose, and been beneficial in creating a more attractive style of play.  But the crack down of the hooking, clutching, and holding has really made the difference.  Skating is now at a premium.  And give the NHL and the refs credit.  Every year they said they were going to whistle the obstruction penalties, but they never did.  This year they have stuck with it, and they have a better product because of it.

695747[/snapback]

Didn't they change the definition of icing, as well? I know I'm seeing a LOT less icing calls this season than before...

Didn't they change the definition of icing, as well?  I know I'm seeing a LOT less icing calls this season than before...

695781[/snapback]

I'm not clear on that one, but you are right, there are dump-ins that appear to be obvious icing and the linesman waves it off. I don't know if there's any rules/rhyme/reason for it, or if it's just simply the linesman's discretion. There doesn't seem to be much consistency with the way they are calling/not calling it.

I'm not clear on that one, but you are right, there are dump-ins that appear to be obvious icing and the linesman waves it off.  I don't know if there's any rules/rhyme/reason for it, or if it's just simply the linesman's discretion.  There doesn't seem to be much consistency with the way they are calling/not calling it.

695784[/snapback]

According to the Gross link, the main change was letting the linesmen use more discretion...so that now, apparently, what would have been an icing call before is now being called as an errant pass and waved off.

But at any rate, you're right - no one's complaining. Certainly not me; I used to HATE icing calls, since there always seemed to be so damned many of them, and they always seemed like such a useless stoppage of play.

Didn't they change the definition of icing, as well?  I know I'm seeing a LOT less icing calls this season than before...

695781[/snapback]

Definition hasn't changed, but my understanding is that with the two line pass the refs are calling more "bad passes" (no ice) versus "icing attempts." But it's probably more due to teams trying harder not to ice because of their inability to change for the ensuing face-off.

695781[/snapback]

They didn't change the definition, but they provided the linesmen the discretion to wave off icing if they felt the icing was due to a missed pass.

The other rule change I haven't seen mentioned yet, is they went back to the "tag up" offsides. The main thing I see that doing is limiting the number of stoppages so the increased # of penalties called this season didn't translate into significantly longer running times for games.

According to the Gross link, the main change was letting the linesmen use more discretion...so that now, apparently, what would have been an icing call before is now being called as an errant pass and waved off.

But at any rate, you're right - no one's complaining.  Certainly not me; I used to HATE icing calls, since there always seemed to be so damned many of them, and they always seemed like such a useless stoppage of play.

695788[/snapback]

Unfortunately, without icing calls though, you'd see teams with a narrow lead in the 3rd playing "power play" style: intentionally icing whenever they received the puck in their zone...can lead to pretty boring play. Seems like the extra "penalty" is doing the trick...