EXCELLENT BillsScout.com article

I'm just playing... I did think it was a decent article.

I think, in general, nobody disputes the fact that there was indeed a plan. Marv and Co. explicitly decided the best course of action, based on their efforts, was to stay put and take Whitner. Some people just disagree with the plan, that's all. I, for one, hope they are right... but I think that in making this move, they graded Whitner so highly that he needs to become another Roy Williams / Polamalu type player -- in other words Winfield-level production is not enough.

you obviously don't know why I thought it was an excellent article.

i guess I should explain why:

1st off, it is pretty lenghty and well thought out, as opposed to:

Draft Grades:

Bills F-

They reached twice in round 1. Horrible value. Flunked the Value Test with flying colors. They just don't understand the draft. Value is God. Kiper is Jesus.

Secondly, they give a few reasons why the draft day moves (or lack thereof) MAY HAVE been made. Not just that "They blew an opportunity to trade down for more".

It gave credit the Marv and Co as they deserve....and that is based on the fact that they've been in the business of football for a long time, not like a journalist has been around football.

So the scenarios in the linked article make more sense than just "they reached and don't understand the value board."

No one said everything was right on the money. I said it is more in tune as to what I think happened. So, yeah, it's excellent because it points out a more realistic draft day scenario.

691803[/snapback]

I'm just playing... I did think it was a decent article.

I think, in general, nobody disputes the fact that there was indeed a plan.  Marv and Co. explicitly decided the best course of action, based on their efforts, was to stay put and take Whitner.  Some people just disagree with the plan, that's all.  I, for one, hope they are right... but I think that in making this move, they graded Whitner so highly that he needs to become another Roy Williams / Polamalu type player -- in other words Winfield-level production is not enough.

691821[/snapback]

You sure got that right. :lol:

The Bills Plan to rotate their D-line players just as the Bucs do. McCargo will see plenty of game time frome game 1 on.

691799[/snapback]

Yes, they will "get him on the field". It's still a 5-11 team on the down slope trading up into the first round to take a situational player.

Yes, they will "get him on the field". It's still a 5-11 team on the down slope trading up into the first round to take a situational player.

691881[/snapback]

How about Bunkley? Do you think he won't be a situational player and will start over Triplett if Bills drafted him?

How about Bunkley? Do you think he won't be a situational player and will start over Triplett if Bills drafted him?

691892[/snapback]

No, I think Bunkley could play either position and would've started from Day 1 at 1-tech alongside Tripplett.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to see 2 DTs come out of this draft... it's definitely a problem area that needed an influx of talent, especially with the rotation of players. But I wanted:

1st unit/majority of snaps: Tripplett/Higher Draft Pick

2nd unit: Lower Draft Pick/Anderson

not

1st unit/majority of snaps: Tripplett/Anderson

2nd unit: Higher Draft Pick/Lower Draft Pick

because I do not believe Tim Anderson is good enough quality for the first unit... and I did not want to burn 3 picks in a solid draft to get these 2 players.

Hopefully, either TA improves with the new defense or McCargo plays 1-tech after all...

OR Kyle Williams becomes the steal of the draft and starts at 1-tech... that would be beautiful! :lol:

But I wanted:

1st unit/majority of snaps: Tripplett/Higher Draft Pick

2nd unit: Lower Draft Pick/Anderson

Between the snaps he takes backing up Triplett, and the snaps he takes alongside Triplett on 3rd down, McCargo may well be on the field as much as Anderson. It's at least as important to have a good DL play on 3rd and 7 as it is to have it on 1st and 10.

Just a note here...

I have no doubt that McCargo is going to end up being a very good player for us...but just to show you how much the draft is a crapshoot....

I predict that Kyle Williams will also end up being a very important piece of our defense as a run stopping anchor....

I really like what I see in his video....

John,

No way to tell until you see them on the field. A guy by the name of Brandon Spoon looked real good to all of us on TBD who reviewd his "film." He is now out of the league.

Just a note here...

I have no doubt that McCargo is going to end up being a very good player for us...but just to show you how much the draft is a crapshoot....

I predict that Kyle Williams will also end up being a very important piece of our defense as a run stopping anchor....

I really like what I see in his video....

692529[/snapback]

Yeah, I was interested in Kyle Williams' video, and I agree, while it's a crapshoot, you have to like players who don't fit the classic height/weight definition. Dwight Freeney and London Fletcher come to mind. The guy just plays football.

Between the snaps he takes backing up Triplett, and the snaps he takes alongside Triplett on 3rd down, McCargo may well be on the field as much as Anderson.  It's at least as important to have a good DL play on 3rd and 7 as it is to have it on 1st and 10.

692215[/snapback]

It's also very important to have good DL play on 3rd-and-1... and if I'm an opposing OC playing the Bills this year, I think it's pretty obvious who & where I'm running the ball at.

John,

No way to tell until you see them on the field. A guy by the name of Brandon Spoon looked real good to all of us on TBD who reviewd his "film."  He is now out of the league.

692535[/snapback]

If Brandon could have stayed healthy and had some quality tackles in front of him....he might have worked out....

Yeah, I was interested in Kyle Williams' video, and I agree, while it's a crapshoot, you have to like players who don't fit the classic height/weight definition.  Dwight Freeney and London Fletcher come to mind. The guy just plays football.

692537[/snapback]

The thing that I see in Kyle Williams is that even though this guy might not get off the line of scrimmage a lot in the pros....he isn't going to get pushed around either.....

THis isn't the freakish viking we brought in a while back with no experience....this guys is ultra strong AND he had good technique....

He just reminds me of one of those guys who will be here for years....do his job clogging the run (allowing McCargo to get all the glory) and protecting our MLB

With our linebacking core...we WANT teams to try to run sideline on us.....

Quality tackles? How about Pat Williams?

Brandon Spoon wasn't bad but he DEFINITELY was not an NFL caliber player. He had a shot in St. Louis as well and couldn't make it there either -- and they have some decent tackles.

Just saying I wouldn't be so quick to gush about a 5th round pick -- they were picked there for a reason.

If Brandon could have stayed healthy and had some quality tackles in front of him....he might have worked out....

692570[/snapback]

Quality tackles?  How about Pat Williams?

Brandon Spoon wasn't bad but he DEFINITELY was not an NFL caliber player.  He had a shot in St. Louis as well and couldn't make it there either -- and they have some decent tackles.

Just saying I wouldn't be so quick to gush about a 5th round pick -- they were picked there for a reason.

692573[/snapback]

Dawgg,

I am not saying that Brandon didn't fail and I am not a Spoon fan by any means....but dont you think that the numerous injuries he had here could have killed any chances to get his career on track when he left? He was damaged goods.

I am not sure why the talent evaluators of the NFL determined Kyle Williams to be a 5th round pick....but I also dont know why Gabe Watson was picked as late as he was either (he could end up bing a boom not but pick also)

I am glad that Kyle Williams is on our team....

It's also very important to have good DL play on 3rd-and-1... and if I'm an opposing OC playing the Bills this year, I think it's pretty obvious who & where I'm running the ball at.

692561[/snapback]

Bear in mind Marv added three DTs to the roster via free agency and the draft. Yes, the Bills could use yet another DT, even if all the new additions work out. But at least the position isn't being ignored.