Border Patrol Game

And yet the front page story of the Post today said that 45% of the children in this country are minority children (illegal or not).  This will have a very long term effect, positive or negative, I won't say.  But the fact is there is a large drain on public services by undocumented workers and immigrants (illegal or not) that is not supported by the lack of taxes not being paid or lesser amount by lower paid workers.

687976[/snapback]

Not sure how to respond to this, probably because I don't understand how your point pertains to my post.

I won't challenge the figure that 45% of children in the U.S. ar minority. But I'm not ready to extropolate that into what it means about their legal immigration status, their consumption of public services and the rate at which they or their parents pay taxes, much less project whether this is a good thing or a bad thing and whether the current projected trend can be altered.

As far as I can tell though, just because 45% of the children in the country are minority, it's NOT OK to have a game where you stereotype Mexicans, call them wetbacks, portray all of them as criminals and enjoy shooting them. A racist game is a racist game regardless of how many minority children we have in the country - that's my point.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you missed the characters being referred to as wetbacks, and the mother being referred to as a "breeder"? I'm not even going to get into the fact that all the characters are dressed like Speedy Gonzales and are here to commit crimes or have a million kids.

687964[/snapback]

You've obviously never lived in Southern California. There are stereotypes, and then there are balls-on-accurate portrayals. Take a look at THIS road sign.

Is that racist to you? I hope not because that is the sign you see on your way out of San Diego on I-5. And yet there's a sign stereotyping a Mexican mother pulling her kid across a 10-lane highway.

Do you know why Mexicans are portrayed to look like Speedy Gonzalez? BECAUSE THEY ALL LOOK LIKE SPEEDY GONZALEZ! Drive through the Home Depot parking lot one day and you'll feel like you're in Tijuana. Straw hats. Bandanas. El Guapo facial hair. It's the way it is, so I suspect you should find another group to stand up for because these folks come here looking like Speedy Gonzalez, with the pregnant chicks and kids in tow, and get instant free everything with a tab picked up by you and me, senor.

You've obviously never lived in Southern California. There are stereotypes, and then there are balls-on-accurate portrayals. Take a look at THIS road sign.

Is that racist to you? I hope not because that is the sign you see on your way out of San Diego on I-5. And yet there's a sign stereotyping a Mexican mother pulling her kid across a 10-lane highway.

Do you know why Mexicans are portrayed to look like Speedy Gonzalez? BECAUSE THEY ALL LOOK LIKE SPEEDY GONZALEZ! Drive through the Home Depot parking lot one day and you'll feel like you're in Tijuana.  Straw hats. Bandanas. El Guapo facial hair. It's the way it is, so I suspect you should find another group to stand up for because these folks come here looking like Speedy Gonzalez, with the pregnant chicks and kids in tow, and get instant free everything with a tab picked up by you and me, senor.

688045[/snapback]

Point is, any group that gets "picked on" has generally done something overall to deserve it. Ignoring those parts in the interest of being "understanding and tolerant" serves only to feed the bad behavior.

Do you know why Mexicans are portrayed to look like Speedy Gonzalez? BECAUSE THEY ALL LOOK LIKE SPEEDY GONZALEZ! Drive through the Home Depot parking lot one day and you'll feel like you're in Tijuana.  Straw hats. Bandanas. El Guapo facial hair. It's the way it is, so I suspect you should find another group to stand up for because these folks come here looking like Speedy Gonzalez, with the pregnant chicks and kids in tow, and get instant free everything with a tab picked up by you and me, senor.

688045[/snapback]

Thanks - your response was all I needed to know.

Next time I meet a Mexican I'lll ask him why he's not dressed like Speedy Gonzales because a guy I know in L.A. says

THEY ALL LOOK LIKE SPEEDY GONZALEZ!

Not sure how to respond to this, probably because I don't understand how your point pertains to my post.

I won't challenge the figure that 45% of children in the U.S. ar minority. But I'm not ready to extropolate that into what it means about their legal immigration status, their consumption of public services and the rate at which they or their parents pay taxes, much less project whether this is a good thing or a bad thing and whether the current projected trend can be altered.

As far as I can tell though, just because 45% of the children in the country are minority, it's NOT OK to have a game where you stereotype Mexicans, call them wetbacks, portray all of them as criminals and enjoy shooting them. A racist game is a racist game regardless of how many minority children we have in the country - that's my point.

688032[/snapback]

My point was, while I agree the game is politically incorrect, and sterotyping is bad, that maybe there is something to the stereotyping, like it or not, and the fact is there is factual statistics that back up the sterotyping in the case of "breeder" in this instance.

688045[/snapback]

Dude, I hate that too. I can't go to Home Depot or even Orchard Supply without having 15 or 20 caballeros yelling at me as I roll in the parking lot. Crap, they even hang out at the gas station across the street to try to solicit work. !@#$ers.

Perhaps you missed the characters being referred to as wetbacks, and the mother being referred to as a "breeder"? I'm not even going to get into the fact that all the characters are dressed like Speedy Gonzales and are here to commit crimes or have a million kids.

Mexicans come from Mexico, and blacks came from Africa, but I still would't racistly sterotype them, call them racist names and enjoy a game where I shot them. I'd speculate that if you made that game about blacks it would be on the national news and you'd have a tough time letting anyone know you enjoyed it - you'd know it was wrong.

687964[/snapback]

Blacks come from Africa? Just what in the hell is that supposed to mean? I know many black people that were born in the good old US of A. I consider them americans. They are not from Africa. In the same sentence that you say you would racially stereotype them what do you do? You racially stereotype them. Nice.

As for the game, I think shooting any person is wrong. It is more or less wrong to shoot a person because of his attire. Are you saying it would be ok to shoot a mexican in the game if he was dressed in a business suit?

Blacks come from Africa?  Just what in the hell is that supposed to mean?  I know many black people that were born in the good old US of A.  I consider them americans.  They are not from Africa.  In the same sentence that you say you would racially stereotype them what do you do?  You racially stereotype them.  Nice.

As for the game, I think shooting any person is wrong.  It is more or less wrong to shoot a person because of his attire.  Are you saying it would be ok to shoot a mexican in the game if he was dressed in a business suit?

688142[/snapback]

Sheesh.

You ever try to sprint across an eight lane highway in a three piece and wingtips?

Next time I meet a Mexican I'lll ask him why he's not dressed like Speedy Gonzales because a guy I know in L.A. says

688059[/snapback]

Here's a homework assignment for you. Find out what percentage of your taxes go toward helping people who are here illegally (and therefore do not pay taxes) and who use your roads, your doctors, your nurses, your hospitals, your rehab centers, your uninsured motorists, etc.

You are welcome to have no problem going to work everyday so you can support millions of illegal people using resources you pay for, but that's just not my gig. The simple fact that they do all of this dressed like a cartoon character is just fact and until you've experienced it first hand, I suggest you find another cause for which your heart can bleed because you're wasting some good blood for people who aren't giving any of theirs for you.

Point is, any group that gets "picked on" has generally done something overall to deserve it. Ignoring those parts in the interest of being "understanding and tolerant" serves only to feed the bad behavior.

Roger that, Captain.

Lighten up Francis. You ever told a Polish joke or laughed at a blonde joke? Stereotypes are there for a reason...usually there's a lot of truth to them. Every group has them. They can be funny if you accept them for what they are, a way to laugh at yourself.

Here's a homework assignment for you. Find out what percentage of your taxes go toward helping people who are here illegally (and therefore do not pay taxes) and who use your roads, your doctors, your nurses, your hospitals, your rehab centers, your uninsured motorists, etc.

You are welcome to have no problem going to work everyday so you can support millions of illegal people using resources you pay for, but that's just not my gig. The simple fact that they do all of this dressed like a cartoon character is just fact and until you've experienced it first hand, I suggest you find another cause for which your heart can bleed because you're wasting some good blood for people who aren't giving any of theirs for you.

Roger that, Captain.

688154[/snapback]

I wish more politicians saw it like this..

Screw the Iraqi border, bring our troops home and guard on own boarders.

We live in a country where illegal invaders qualify for better benefits that people like myself that have been in the work force and paying taxes for 20+ years and were BORN HERE. CRAZY!!

Why do I get the feeling that in 20-30 years the southwest will be just an extension of Mexico ?

Roger that, Captain.

688154[/snapback]

I'd LOVE to find that number, because I think it would prove my point. I bet less than 5% of all the tax dollars I spend go to illegal immigrants. Problem is, it really can't be calculated because my tax money goes to things like the defense budget, the FDA, NTSB, and all sorts of things that benefit society as a whole whether you're here legally or illegally.

I know I pay for people who use the roads illegally (i.e. - not licensed to drive), and I know I also pay lots for uninsured motorists and people seeking healthcare, but you certainly don't have to be illegal to fall into those categories - plenty of red-blooded American citizens taking some of my tax dollars as well.

Your contention that illegals do not pay taxes is simply wrong. I'm not saying that every illegal pays taxes, but many do (some work in meat packing plants where they have payroll taxes deducted, others actually file income taxes believing that if they ever get a shot at citizenship they can show they've been good taxpayers). Again, plenty of red-blooded Americans don't pay taxes, either.

Lighten up Francis.  You ever told a Polish joke or laughed at a blonde joke?  Stereotypes are there for a reason...usually there's a lot of truth to them.  Every group has them.  They can be funny if you accept them for what they are, a way to laugh at yourself.

688190[/snapback]

Hey, I can take a joke if someone wants to rib on my for my ethnic background. What I'd get pissed at is a game that portrayed all members of my ethnic background as criminals and drains on society, called us an offensive name, portrayed us as stereotypical cartoon characters and encouraged people to have fun shooting us in a video game.

688032[/snapback]

It says a lot about you that you're more upset about racially stereotyping Mexicans in a game than you are shooting them. :lol:

Hey, I can take a joke if someone wants to rib on my for my ethnic background.

Can you?

What I'd get pissed at is a game that portrayed all members of my ethnic background as criminals and drains on society, called us an offensive name, portrayed us as stereotypical cartoon characters and encouraged people to have fun shooting us in a video game.

Isn't that what this game is doing??? Taking a stereotype and making it absurdly funny, while actually being an office cubicle time-waster.....Surely you don't think the game is actually advocating all of us to go take shotguns to Arizona, do you?

Hey, I can take a joke if someone wants to rib on my for my ethnic background. What I'd get pissed at is a game that portrayed all members of my ethnic background as criminals and drains on society, called us an offensive name, portrayed us as stereotypical cartoon characters and encouraged people to have fun shooting us in a video game.

688216[/snapback]

Yet all black people are africans in your eyes? Are they all rap stars too?